C5 Owners

DailyDrifter

The Slow and the Curious
Whats some drawbacks to these cars (besides tickets)? Any rattles? What to look for? Handling? I know the LS1's can take a beating. Looking into getting a Targa top with a 6 speed. I don't want a FRC or convertible or anything with an automatic. Just looking for a nice semi-daily driver, that can eat on the highway.

Buy one. They are great cars, and early cars can routinely be bought for mid to upper $teens. Watch out for the usual stuff like reconstructed cars and ragged out examples. As usual, buy the best car you can afford. I have an 02 Z06 that I bought on 911. I foolishly sold it in 06 when I bought my Viper. I was lucky enough to be able to repurchase the car a year later. My Z06 would be the LAST car that I would sell from my stable. I'd put my GN, GS, and Viper on the street twice over before I lost the Z. I had a 2000 hardtop before the Z, and it was a sweetheart, too, although it had it share of problems. Took the hardtop to Bowling Green, and it knocked down 28mpg on the highway at 80mph. Comfortable, too. Expect 13.20-13.40 out of a coupe with 3.42 gears and 6 gear. Top speed aproaching 170mph. Targa cars will creak and rattle some at the roof junction, even new. Parts are everywhere from oem, to your local parts store, to performance parts. I will caution you that your TR will become a one trick pony if stabled with a good C5. Good luck. Rudy.

Lol, that pony ran out of tricks about 3 years ago, I'm just gonna put her down and bury her in the junk yard :eek:.

I don't own one but was looking to get one for a while,+ did alot of research,
don't get a 97 (first yr)had alot of miscelaneous problems,i forget exactly what,but i think abs ,steering column problems + a bunch more small irritating things,+ each yr had improvements over the previous yr.I would look for at least a 2001,that yr they got a better cam ,better intake (same as z06 i believe),+ better clutch,+ other things.
Go to ls1.com + ask the same question,there is a section there,dedictaed just to the vettes.
They also have a cars for sale section,which will help you guage prices,+ maybe find a nice one too.
Just another suggestion : google (( C5 corvette problems )) + it will probably give you the main problems with them + if they were corrected the next yr.
You could also google: (( C5 corvette improvements year by year )) + it will tell you the diff upgrades + new options for each yr. Good Luck

very happy with our 99. it does have very minor roof creeks but nothing major. we do have a squeek in the suspension that I can't find yet. finding an aftermarket exhaust that does not drone is difficult. all around a good driver. one thing I really like is the brake up grade, our is just as much to stop as to go.

C5's are great! I bought mine C5 Z06 new in 2001. They are relatively easy to work on. I put in a Monster stage 3 clutch and RPM level V upgraded trans with just me with jacks and hand tools. They get great MPG and can't beat a 6 speed for fun. The Z06 has more fun trans gearing IMO, than a regular C5 even if both have the 3.42 rear. I'd get an early 2003 because of the fuel tank issues with 04's. The fuel filter in 04 is in the tank IIRC. Research the siphon valve problem, hint one fuel pump, two tanks... The other thing to look for is a leaking steering rack- $600 part and its a pita to replace, took me a full weekend myself. Brakes are super easy to change rotors and pads. Use the "Ranger" method to use a turkey baster to pull clutch fluid out every week and replace with clean fluid to prevent the dreaded -my pedal is stuck to the floor after getting on it.

C5

I have an 02 Z06 that I bought brand new. These cars are a lot of fun. They may not do any one thing perfect, but they do everything pretty well. They are quick, stop great, handle great, get great gas mileage, are fun to drive with the 6spd. Don't hesitate if you want to buy one. I would suggest getting the best C5 Z06 that you can afford. Best bang for the buck period.

Prices have never been better. Great time to buy one of these.

Good luck!

P.S. Still love the Turbo Regals :D

Here is a pic for ya. :cool:

Attachments

• P1010731.jpg
    P1010731.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 333
They are a steal imo. Prices are so cheap and it is a ton of car. Great fuel economy, comfortable, very reliable etc. I daily drove mine with a blower for years.

Peter

What kind of insurance are you guys paying? I combined it on my policy with my 240 and it didnt seem bad at all, not sure if it was a typo on the internet though. P.S. I'm 26 yrs old. Great looking car, ZO6's are nice but are a little more pricey. I've seen some pretty cheap vettes out there, and for the price vs. performance they really cant be beat.

Whats some drawbacks to these cars (besides tickets)?
They aren't as fast a bolt-on Buick!

Any rattles? What to look for? Handling? I know the LS1's can take a beating. Looking into getting a Targa top with a 6 speed. I don't want a FRC or convertible or anything with an automatic. Just looking for a nice semi-daily driver, that can eat on the highway.

I love my '01 C5, even a "regular" C5 can be made almost as fast as a Z06 if you don't want the Z, I added Z06 Sway Bars to mine and it was a great improvement, Full length headers, intake & a tune and it isn't hard to get over 30mpg on the highway with the a/c going! Some of the usual problems in addition to those listed is the "leaky butt", the rear end leaks at the axle shafts, the BCM sometimes has issues, the steering column lock bypass is a must, the display on the auto A/C controls will dim over time, the headlight gears are plastic & sometimes need to be replaced with brass or aluminum. With a higher deductible for comp/coll I am paying around $280 every 6 months, but I'm already in my mid 30's:eek:

BTW, LC2ROD, great choice of color;)

Heres a pic of mine, & yes, I took a sawzall:eek: to the rockers for the Z06 scoops, none of those fake stick ons here:D

Attachments

• vette.jpg
    vette.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 339
Unfortunately my Z06 gets alot more miles on it than the GNX. These Corvettes are amazing. The car does everything extremely well. On the highway you can cruise and get 28 MPG but when you want the car to act like a sports car there is plenty of power as well as handing capabilities.

My Z06 has no issues hanging with plenty of high end sports cars...they are a great value!

Attachments

• P1550220.jpg
    P1550220.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 284
here's mine don't drive it alot but it's real fun i love it

Attachments

• DSC01786.jpg
    DSC01786.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC01787.jpg
    DSC01787.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 279