C-6 Vette - whatta ya think?

I just read the Motor Trend article on it the other day. Sounds like a sweet machine, about 75% of the performance of a Z06 overall(power, handling, etc), but with better ride, quieter cabin, more amenities.

That said, I'd probably buy a used Z06 as they will probably start hitting really low prices once the new Z06 hits the street.

I like the powerplant (LS2 motor) and as you said it is a lot of car for the $$$ (definitely the best bang for your buck Sports car out there), but in all honesty I think they took a step back in the looks department.... Don't get me wrong I don't think it is an ugly car by any means, but I still prefer the C5 body....

Originally posted by 86brick
I like the powerplant (LS2 motor) and as you said it is a lot of car for the $$$ (definitely the best bang for your buck Sports car out there), but in all honesty I think they took a step back in the looks department.... Don't get me wrong I don't think it is an ugly car by any means, but I still prefer the C5 body....

I agree

I heard someone say around here that GM is going to put the LS2 engine into the GTO. Anyone know if that is true? Dunno if I would be excited by the prospect or just meh about it.

Originally posted by Data
I heard someone say around here that GM is going to put the LS2 engine into the GTO. Anyone know if that is true? Dunno if I would be excited by the prospect or just meh about it.

Well according to the latest issue of GMHTP magazine yes it is true.... The '05 GTO will get the 400hp LS2 and the '05 Chevy SSR is also getting the LS2 motor, but it will have a little less HP (380-390 from what the article says)...

Originally posted by Data

I have heard the same thing from a good source. The LS1 is a thing of the past. All the platforms that were using the LS1 or scheduled to use that small block will be getting some version of the LS2. The GTO is switching to the LS2 with the next model year and will also have more "sporty" add-ons to the exterior in an effort to increase poor sales. Current models will be offered with large discounts. A new version of the GTO is also in the works.

As many of you know, the Camaro is scheduled to return within the next couple of years (it IS going to happen). Expect to see a V6 and multiple levels of V8's available (including a really hot version). The Firebird is not scheduled to return anytime soon.

The Z06 Corvette will be back soon and should really raise the bar. Expect around 450-475 hp and should be a wide body version of the C6. The pictures I've seen look really mean. The car will have an even more aggressive handling package than the Z51 option C6 and will be lighter as well.

While I agree with the previous comments about the C6 appearance, I thought the rear of the C5 was an abortion back in '96... now I like it. I'm sure the C6 will grow on me as well. I like the overall shorter look, but the front fascia needs some work IMO. Jury's still out on the headlights.
:cool:

Is it just me or does the front end look more like a catfish than the camaros did?? Strange...looking at the first pic on the first posted web page I keep waiting for it to start talking to me ;) But, 0-60 in 4.2 on radials is gettin it...

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
But, 0-60 in 4.2 on radials is gettin it...

That's what I'm sayin'. And the 1/4 at 112 MPH. Not too shabby for the "base" Vette. The Z06 might squeeze out some sub-4.0 0-60 runs right? It would have to. Right down there in 911 TT range. That would be cool.

I like the way they look. Corvette faithful have their panties in a wad over the lack of pop-up headlights, but think back to '62 and prior and everything will be alright.

In a way it's kind of scary. I'm bustin' my arse to squeeze out consistent 114-115 MPH traps and stock Detroit iron is breathin' down my neck. Trucks with 500 HP, Benz's with 600 HP. It's insane.

Jim

I like the C6 fine enough but I'd just let it help depreciate the C5 Z06's and pick oneof those up in the low twenties in another year:p

i was able to drive a C6 about 3 weeks ago, a guy called for service on an appliance ( i am a serviceman for DTE Energy ) and all he really wanted was a small favor and advice, i waived the $75 charge since i did nothing. he worked for Nipendenso, had a dirty blue C6 was working on voice operated radio/heating/AC/navi stuff. well he offered the car up................. i think he might of pee'd himself. anyone driving down Michigan Ave in front of Ford World Headquaters in Dearborn can see whats left of C6 tires:D

I Just picked up an 04 ZO6 Commerative last fri , this is a NICE car . I have 250 miles on it already . It has a real nice sound to it too . It rides ALOT nicer than the Buick but thats expected with the rear and its Design and brand new . Anyone who hasnt driven one will like it im sure . The 500hp 06 ZO6 sounds great , i just didnt want to wait two more years .

Originally posted by galoush
I Just picked up an 04 ZO6 Commerative last fri , this is a NICE car . I have 250 miles on it already . It has a real nice sound to it too . It rides ALOT nicer than the Buick but thats expected with the rear and its Design and brand new . Anyone who hasnt driven one will like it im sure . The 500hp 06 ZO6 sounds great , i just didnt want to wait two more years .

Gotta love a car that can run high 11's @damn near 120mph in bone stock form!

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0410htp_zo

C6 much nicer than the ugly C5 - Z06...

I really prefer the look of the new C6 than the C5, especially the Z06 model which was the ugliest of them all with the "notchback" roofline...They should have at least used the "fastback" ( not sure if that's how it's called) model with the larger back glass which looks a lot nicer! I don't care about the supposed performance advantage of the Z06, I would have never bought one... it's too UGLY! Why in the world didn't GM offer the Z06 engine in the fastback model???:confused: And also, why NO automatic transmission???:confused: ?
I just hope that the new C6 doesn't have that ugly notchback look again!!:eek:

'bye!
Claude :)

The C6 hasn't grown on me yet. Plus I don't think I'd step down to 400 hp at the crank yet, I'm there with a stock motored C5. Wait another year or two for them to get the bugs out, I guarantee there will be problems with the first ones. It took them almost 2 years to iron out the bugs in the C5s, and there are still issues there that haven't been resolved yet (gas gauges that suddenly drop to empty or don't read at all, columns that won't unlock, etc.). I have been fortunate enough to only have an issue with the wipers coming on and refusing to shut off(switch was bad) but I guess mine was built on a good week. Anyone thinking about a new one....my advice is to wait.

Originally posted by Anthony K
anyone driving down Michigan Ave in front of Ford World Headquaters in Dearborn can see whats left of C6 tires:D

haha, I love it! I did a hell of a burnout there once in my first GN. Called it marking my territory :cool:

F :mad: R D

can't wait to drive a corvette with nice seats/ interior.
not that the gn is any better :( but most ther 20 k cars were nicer than the old vett inside. But I would still rock the hell out of one :D

Gotta love a car that can run high 11's @damn near 120mph in bone stock form!
............. Sure, when cows fly. I have a 2002 405HP ZO6 and it will never see mid 12's in stock form. That's like trying to convince the public that a new 86/87 Grand National would go in the 13's right off the showroom floor.

I don't see prices on the "old" ZO6's going down until the C6 version is introduced. As for the headlights, that is still a hard sell. Looks like a smiley face with little beady eyes. Something you'd see on japcrap. Maybe GM will introduce the C6 ZO6 as a convertible option this time around. That would be sweet.