BWR Alky Kit Install Photos

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
I wanted to post some photos of an install of a LMS/BWR methanol kit using the Metco fuel cell.

This install also incorporates the boost controller feature in the ISAC using a single solenoid configuration for an actuator setup.

The Metco cell was made for this. Plenty of room to add a low level sensor and the sump output sits just about perfect for where the pump is mounted. And yes, in hindsight we should have painted the straps black.

Here's some photos!

SDC12767.jpg

SDC12768.jpg

SDC12774.jpg

SDC12770.jpg

SDC12769.jpg

SDC12771.jpg

nice and clean. how is the boost control working out using the factory accuator? got any data logs?

nice and clean. how is the boost control working out using the factory accuator? got any data logs?

It works fine with the factory actuator. The biggest problem we're having with it is it tends to spool the turbo too fast so we're having to play with ramp speeds to slow down the spool up.

I can post a log a bit later you can load into the latest ISAC software and take a look at.

Nice setup. I have the Metco Fuel cell and intend to set my car up the same way. By the way,Jay, have you run any test to see what effects the alcohol imput location has on performance? Any difference if you plumb the fuel to come in at/past the throttle body, similar to the old ATR design? Also, has anyone experimented with a spray setup inside the plenum, like a nitrous kit on a carb. engine. Nice thread. Howard.

The old ATR setup youre referring to had 0 atomization because of the way it was plumbed. I think that would be very counter productive for methanol. We spent years searching for better nozzles to mist the stuff, this would be a huge step backwards.

Far as going behind the throttle body, at one point I sold a plate that had a spray bar through the middle of it. It was originally for propane but I had a lot of people use it for alcohol. It worked okay. I dont think it was any better than pre-throttle body. Kinda trick looking tho.

I do have another idea for alcohol delivery, I just dont have anyone to make it. At some point Ill probably get around to finding someone to do it... its just going to be expensive to prototype and I dont know if its worth it for the Buick market and it would be a Buick specific item.

Do you have a different pic of that nozzle in the comp housing?
Any data info to pass along with the addition of that nozzle?

Do you have a different pic of that nozzle in the comp housing?
Any data info to pass along with the addition of that nozzle?

Thats not a nozzle. Thats a boost line that goes to the boost control solenoid.

Nice work!

I like those push lock fittings and the Polly tubing. Thats nice stuff. Are they 1/4 or 1/8 mpt? And what size tubing?

They're 1/8 NPT and the hose is 1/4 inch. We use this stuff all the time around the shop for boost lines, etc. It's easy to work with, not terribly expensive and just works.

Ah, I looks like the same fitting and line as the alky line so I was hoping you were going this route and datalogging it. :frown:

Ah, I looks like the same fitting and line as the alky line so I was hoping you were going this route and datalogging it. :frown:

Im really a little nervous to spray pre intercooler. Too many things can go wrong, including wheel erosion, etc. I know people do it but it just worries me.

let alone filling the intercooler with alky.......:eek:

Bob

That was my thought... You would need a drain plug;)

How much ALKY would you spray into the IC?? Not much is my guess.
When will you be spraying the IC?? During boost
For how long will you be spaying the IC?? Short runs. Then the hot air from the turbo will dry every thing up almost instantly.
One big nozzle in the up pipe (reg. place) one Small nozzle at the IC's inlet Elbow.

Pre turbo I wouldn’t do. Just because.

Can you post a picture of the install from a little further back?

How much ALKY would you spray into the IC?? Not much is my guess.
When will you be spraying the IC?? During boost
For how long will you be spaying the IC?? Short runs. Then the hot air from the turbo will dry every thing up almost instantly.
One big nozzle in the up pipe (reg. place) one Small nozzle at the IC's inlet Elbow.

Pre turbo I wouldn’t do. Just because.

Can you post a picture of the install from a little further back?

The car has already left. The guy wants to come back and get some aluminum heads installed and some more stuff so when it comes back, Ill take some pictures.

Im not expert,but doesnt the methanol turn into gas form when it leaves the nozzle?

By know means would i bother doing it this way any how,but i would think it would not puddle in the intercooler UNLESS you held the test button on at an idle

Im not expert,but doesnt the methanol turn into gas form when it leaves the nozzle?

By know means would i bother doing it this way any how,but i would think it would not puddle in the intercooler UNLESS you held the test button on at an idle

Methanol boils at 148F so its not gaseous when its released.