Buick event

DDay is this going to be a buick powered only or is an LS powered Regal allowed? Just curious we might bring two cars.
Thanks
Ronnie

DDay is this going to be a buick powered only or is an LS powered Regal allowed? Just curious we might bring two cars.
Thanks
Ronnie

Ronnie, I hope they allow you guys to bring your LS regal as I will need somebody to beat up on while I am there.

Peace, Kip

Don't pick on me too much or you will be eating track food...............just saying:D

I would say that is a low blow but since it is above the belt I guess that would not be right. So all I can say is that you know how to hit a guy where it hurts.

See ya, Kip

Keith, Yes you V8 guys are more than welcome.Ronnie bring the banana and what ever you want, maybe Rodney can bring a toy or two. I have Napa on board as of today.
We have a meeting Sunday with the race director and should have more info. to post.
DDay

Thanks DDay!!! I plan on bringing 4 cars. Btw I already called dibbs on your yard. Do you have room for a 74ft toy hauler?

Alright..it has been a long painful process communicating with Gateway Motorsports Park to get this going. I've been talking to them off and on since the beginning of the year, trying to communicate with at least four different people, and rarely get a return call. But I think it is coming together...

The date for the event is September 8th. DDay is working out details for a hotel for the attendees.

The track is having a "Midnight Madness" event the September 7th, but I can not suggest that would be anything that anyone would want to attend. Not with their car, anyway. Usually it is focused toward a young crowd, little or no track prep, and there are several hundred inexperienced racers in street cars with street tires. Not to mention another area with sport compacts doing drifting.

At this time I've been told that we will be sharing the Saturday ticket with a points program. However, we will have our own classes. What classes those are depends on how many people we have and what they are bringing. Clearly, several of the heads-up TR classes will be held. As far as the GS classes, that remains to be seen and depends on cars showing up. We will likely have a jackpot / gambler's race and some bracket racing based on some ET breaks as well.

I will keep talking to the track to make this happen. It is already late in the season to be "planning" an event.

I will say that planning is already underway for a 2013 event, which will include a Friday T&T and a Saturday all-Buick program. However, it may not be at Gateway. The 2013 event should be very racer-friendly, offer on-site RV hookups, and more.

Right now I think we need some idea of car count and classes. IMHO, unless we have at least four cars show for a class, that class would be a waste of time. Maybe DDay has some thoughts.

Let's get the discussion rolling, and some sponsors talking, and revive the Gateway Grapple for 2012 as a starter event that will lead to a much larger 2013 event with a fuller program.

Put me down for a definate maybe-for the drag racing, not the drifting. Been planning on it since the start of the thread. Gateway doesn't have anything listed on the schedule on thier website-points race or buick event.

At that Midnight Madness there will be a "Battle of the Boards".

4 teams of 4 cars from STL area message boards. Matched up by hat draw to be placed on a ladder. 4 rounds of single elimination races. Driver and one Crew member get in free. All cars will have to complete a cruise before the race, I'm not sure on the route length yet. Aside from that:

1. Car must pass tech.
2. Car must have current state registration.

They also have one for the August 17th Midnight Madness with out a cruise before the race.

Anyone interested in creating a team for this?

Looks like my earlier attempt at a follow up was not "post"ed.

Talks with the track have broken down. I've been trying to communicate with the current track management since January, and even getting to talk to someone has been difficult. Return calls are rare and sporadic.

Summary: The 2012 event will not be happening. Given the relatively short time until the target event date, there really isn't enough time to get racers and sponsors coordinated for an event at a venue that isn't quite as interested in it happening as we are, it seems.

That being said, we will start working hard on bringing a 2013 event to fruition. The tentative date for the event will be September 7th, 2013.

Note that the Gateway Grapple may not be held at Gateway Motorsports Park. That will be determined going forward. Other midwest venues are being considered, and discussions are already in the works.

I see no reason that it shouldn't be a all-Buick event. GS cars would certainly be welcome, and we could do classes for them if there were enough cars and sponsors. I get the impression that people want the LS powered GN/TR cars there as well. If so, we can make that happen.

Getting sponsors, classes, racers, etc. (...and a track) together in the next year is the goal. And the intent is to have this be an annual event.

Stay tuned...

I would love to see the Buick crowd step up for a Midnight Madness appearance. Getting four strong cars out for that might be harder than you'd think. Plus line prep during that event is generally non-existent since there are a lot of FWD street tire cars that tear the line up.

At past MM with BOTB they drag the track for us before rounds of the BOTB. I don't know how the new crew will be, but maybe they will atleast do that for us. Either way its still Gateway, I've never been overly impressed with track prep there like I have at other tracks.

I'm interested in running the September one just to do the cruise and make some passes for free. In the past it has been a good time and the only way I would even consider going got MM.