Bruce Plecan's turbo surge remedy works.

ChavoLC2

Went out and purchased a Tornado from Pep Boys took a few minutes to install went out and nothin but smooth linear turbo/throttle/boost response all the way to WOT. If your tired of battling surge give it a try you will be pleasantly surprised. Try it you'll like it! Best $54 bucks I've ever spent and if i get a few more mpg great if not oh well don't have surge anymore.

Bruce Plecan LIVES!!! We all miss him. RIP Bruce.

I wonder what the total flow reduction would be? Early on I use to get surging, but with newer technology tubos, I haven't had a big problem latey.

TBIG Thanks Bruce it's Gone

TE44, 009's,, Razor Alky, Tial ext. gate. Was experiencing surge car would run well to about 8psi anything above that car would break up, boost gauge would get eratic,car would buck,alky would come on and off, now if I just put the pedal to the metal the car would run . Who drives around at WOT. Did numerous searches on turbo compressor surge. Seems like there is quite a few of us that experience this and live with the menace . There were not very many answers to the problem, lot of theory, hypothesis and opinions though. Except for one Mr. Bruce Plecan's fix that actually went against the majority of thinking.

I was at a loss bummed out, thought it was the ext.wastegate replaced that with no success, maybe a BOV but my friend uses one and it doesn't help at all, maybe a adjustable pres.relief valve before the VBC to adjust how fast boost comes up, get peak boost at part throttle instead of WOT. Then Dr. Boost responds toTurboJimmy's question on surge and the use of a BOV . Dr.Boost says one guy on here said that a Tornado get's rid of the problem but that most don't try it because it doesn't make sense. Well I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Actually a member here ROC87 had just upgraded to a 60 series turbo. He had earlier punched into the high 11's here at 1mile high with a smaller turbo.
He had Brian or Bruce one of the expert tranny guys I believe rebuild his tranny,new TC ,tranny built to the hilt, put his new 28" slicks on and went to the track. Thinking now that the tranny isn't slippin and with a larger turbo, and larger slicks for better mph on big end that he'd easily be into the low-mid 11's . Car experienced such bad SURGE that he was lucky to get into the 13's. He even had a nice shiny BOV on the up-pipe that didn't help with the comp. surge one ioda. Car was doing the exact same thing everyone else's does during Surge good to about 8psi then it breaks up, bucks like a bronco at part throttle. If one bypasses part throttle and goes directly to WOT car gets down the road. He was disappointed and parked her till the spring. Another local and member Bigair was experiencing the same when he upgraded to a larger turbo. He was thinking of putting the smaller turbo back on.The dreaded Surge.

Well all I can say is it may not make sense, all I know now is that I'm a firm BELIEVER now because it WORKS. Now with the Tornado inplace it has smooth linear throttle/turbo/boost response thru-out the entire rpm range. What a difference I was chasing my tail trying to figure out how to control this menace of Surge. Drop by your local PEP Boys and pick one up. They are made of Stainless and are tack welded don't have to worry about one falling apart and making way to the Comp. wheel and eating the blades. TBIG:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

TurboJimmy sent you a pm get model ki-100 it's 4" or 100mm should fit fairly tight in your hose. They actually are a tad bigger by a couple millimeters but compress to fit a little smaller hose that's like 3" 15/16ths- 4"1/8th.If your worried about it migrating put a clamp over the area of your 4" inlet/intake hose and tighten it just enough to keep it inplace you don't wanna crush it. Mine set right up against the lip of turbo inlet no way it could migrate forward as the inlet is beveled toward the smaller te44 compressor wheel. I did put a clamp on to keep it from migrating backwards which I don't think it will, it was in there pretty good and tight but with all the vibration and stuff it wouldn't hurt to put a clamp over that area of hose directly above Tornado. Might seem like Overkill but hey better safe then sorry. Yeah I'm excited that it worked so good, I was ready to park her for a season too, it was frustrating and there were no Answers to remedy the problem. TBIG!!!

Guess I will have to get one now.:smile: I just installed Razor's kit Sunday and experienced the excat same thing. My combo is similar to your but I have 60's. I also need t get an alky chip.:smile:

Actually a member here ROC87 had just upgraded to a 60 series turbo. He had earlier punched into the high 11's here at 1mile high with a smaller turbo.
He had Brian or Bruce one of the expert tranny guys I believe rebuild his tranny,new TC ,tranny built to the hilt, put his new 28" slicks on and went to the track. Thinking now that the tranny isn't slippin and with a larger turbo, and larger slicks for better mph on big end that he'd easily be into the low-mid 11's . Car experienced such bad SURGE that he was lucky to get into the 13's.

The above doesn't make sense.

At no point in the 1/4 mile would a T/R be at part Throttle and experience compressor surge. The pedal should be matted at the start line when the car is moving zero mph and not let off until you pass the last timing light.

If the tires are spinning and the car has to be pedalled at part throttle, that is a traction issue and not a surge issue.

If I put in a tornado for part throttle driveability, I would definately spend the 2 minutes at the track and take it out, because it won't help, there.

If the Tornado solved your surge condition, keep it. There are usually simple solutions to seemingly impossible problems. Bruce was an amazing innovator. I was in the process of building him an oil pan and external oil feed timing cover, when he passed away. He was a fun guy to converse with. Always trying to make things better, and would gladly talk about it, with no regard to profit for himself. The Turbo Regal community lost a great asset.

Right on

Man wasn't it a relief to get into it and it not buck like a wild bronco. If and when I go bigger it will be a Turbo with those prophylatic anti surge bullets machined into the turbo inlet. Glad to hear your problem is fixed too!:D

Yes it was. It also awesome when it broke the tires loose at 45mph!:eek:

Yep, I still can't believe when Bruce figured it out that I was the first guy to take his advice and get one, we all know he knew what was up. You might get a funny look from your local parts guy but that's your chance to tell him that on turbo cars it acts like supercharger and doubles the power, then watch his expression!!:confused: :D

This will cure only part throttle surge, WOT surge is a completely different beast and could be a leaking BOV. Oh boy, Tornado's and BOV's in GN's, we are approaching sad days my friends.

Putting the Tornado closest to the Compressors housing is fine, it also works on the opposite end of the pipe so it really doesn't matter.

Oh No! I've been mentioned in a thread:eek: :eek: ;)

True, at the track, the car was only driven at WOT, LOL. I'm fairly sure it was the BOV, trouble is, it drove fine on the numberous "test runs" on the street, as many a co-worker can confirm. I have not been back to the track after tightening the BOV ALL THE WAY down. (I'm ready to pull the dang thing off and throw it at the next honda wanting a race) The tranny was built by Brian Hoffer, a terrific tranny! The 28" M&H Radials hooked nearly as good as my 26" MT Slicks, probably would have hooked better had I aired them down lower than 20#, and we know how "well the track is prepped here". FWIW, my GN had the part throttle surge with the PT51 and it's even worse with the 61.... I think it's about time that I try a DBB67:eek:

Chavo, I need to take a ride in your beast! I need "first hand" experience that this tornado thing actually works. My GN is at a paint shop having the hack job door handle shave fixed, the front bumper shaved, stock hood stripped/blocked/painted, and moving the monte SS mirrors forward 6-8" on the doors where they should be... so it'll be a while before I can try a tornado.

Add me to the list of believers, I put one in today and it is all gone , after a 700 mile round trip yesterday the surge very noticable navigating the interstate.
I dont know about the MPG savings but for surge suppresion it works great.
Ebay has them for $35 SHIPPED!

i dont know if i have the same problem. but if i get off the gas the car falls on its face and then surges then picks up again as i am slowing down from a full throttle blast. i did try a bov and it didnt help any.

If you have a Tomka CAI with the good hose that comes in the kit I found that Part Number KI-85 fit inside the hose best.