TR Custom Parts Stainless Headers and 3" Downpipe with 46mm 'gate

turbonatr

More Cubes!
I recently ditched my tired looking stock headers, 3" THDP and Turbonetics Deltagate and bought a set of stainless headers, stainless 3" downpipe and 46mm gate from TR Custom Parts. My original plans were go to with a set of TA headers, Turbonetics 45mm gate and appropriate downpipe. After spending a ton of money on the Vega during the off-season, though, funds were tight. After seeing the pics of the headers, DP and gate Mark sells, I decided to give them a try and save some money in the process.

The pics that Mark has on his website of the headers, DP and gate are exactly how my parts look. The parts on his site are NOT specially built to look great just for advertising pics. They are an accurate representation of the parts I received. They look great! Very nice welds, no slag in the tubes and the ports/bolt holes lined up exactly with the supplied FelPro 1400 exhaust gaskets. Everything looks as good as parts costing twice as much.

The install only held one surprise, which turns out isn't much of a surprise. After mounting the right side header and dropping the turbo on it's flange, I noticed the turbo didn't want to sit flush. The compressor housing was coming in contact with the heater hose fitting that's cast on the water pump. I originally thought this was a major screw up as I have never encountered this issue before. I contacted Mark on the issue. He in turn contacted his supplier and started a thread here on TB.com to see if anyone else has had this happen. Keep in mind I have a T-72 on my T which has a compressor housing thats around 8" in diameter. According to a couple members here and the person Mark contacted, this can be and issue with other headers as well when turbo sizes get around the 70mm and bigger range. The fix is either take some material off of the water pump fitting or remove the fitting entirely, fill the hole and install a fitting where it's more convienent. I opted to take some material off.

15 minutes with a die grinder and the 72 sat flush on it's flange. All in all, not a big deal. I applied some black RTV to the fitting and a little to the inside of the heater hose, slipped the hose over the fitting and tightened the clamp. Done deal.

The rest of the install went pretty smoothly. Two holes in the downpipe's flange needed to be clearenced with a drill bit in order for the mounting bolts to thread straight into the turbine housing. This took all of about 1 minute to perform. After the holes were clearenced, the downpipe went on without issue.

The trans lines need to be pushed to the side a few inches in order to make room for the (two piece, v-band) crossover. I intend to take it a step further and add clamp-on heat shield (Jeg's part number 893-11600) just to keep as much heat away from the trans lines as possible. The heat shield is $23 and is well worth the piece of mind. I would have paid another 25 bucks more for the kit if the shield was included. It might be something to add to the kit in the future. I finished up the install with one of Mark's stainless test pipes and connected the new stainless goodies to my exsisting Hooker exhaust.

After work today I took the T for a test drive. I was previously driving the car with an open exhaust that dumped right at the end of the DP. This is the first time the exhaust has been closed in years. I immediately noticed the car's throttle response was much more crisp than before. Spool up is also quicker now through the mufflers than it was with an open DP before. This may be because the 46mm gate opens later than the DeltaGate I had on before, or I had cracks in the stock headers that I can't see or because the car is just happier with the new headers. Either way, I'm very happy with the improvement in performance! The lowest boost setting is around 10-12psi with this gate (at which the car still rips, mind you). I adjusted it to 18psi with my in-car boost controller. The car stays rock-solid at 18psi and doesn't budge. I only have pump gas in the car, so I didn't chance taking the boost any higher. The car feels GREAT at 18psi. There is a definate seat-of-the-pants increase in performance.

I'm so happy with the headers, gate and downpipe from Mark that I also plan on upgrading my exhaust in the near future to Mark's stainless, 3", polished cat back system for a bumper to bumper TR Custom Parts exhaust system.

Thanks, Mark!:cool:

Nice feedback!! Did you open the dump to see if the headers made the car louder than with the manifolds?

No, I haven't opened the dump. I've been hearing that little raspy V6 with an open exhaust for years. It's a pleasure to finally be able to have a conversation in the car with the dump closed! :biggrin:

Eddie, it's a shame you are limiting yourself to 18lbs of boost, time for some alky and turn up the wick, especially with all the mods you have!:)

i agree on the quality of Mark's stuff...while I don't have these items from him, I did buy the radiator from him....for a while I didn't like it, bcuz it made the rest of my car look like crap, but I got used to it:)

I know there are a lot of people out there who have had great success with pump gas and alky. The thought has crossed my mind, but there are a bunch of other things I need to do first. I need a few interior odds and ends, a few underhood items and I need to paint the car before I decide on alky or not. I don't drive the car every day, so I may just feed it a steady diet of leaded race fuel (100 octane or better) instead of retuning the car for alky. I haven't decided yet.

With the mods I have right now, 18psi feels pretty good, so I'm content with straight pump gas for now. As it is the car will light the drag radials at will through 2nd gear without power braking. The headers definately improved the driveability of the car. Can't wait to ditch the 2.5" Hooker exhaust for the stainless 3"!:biggrin:

And you're right, whitecobra, Mark's goodies make everything else look like crap! I think that's how he gets us to keep buying his stuff!!:biggrin:

Here are a few pics I just snapped. Let me know if you want one with the turbo shield off. I'm in the process of replacing all the vacuum lines for the turbo, gate and boost controller with 1/4" fuel line and clamps. This is much more secure than using vacuum line and zip-ties, especially if you plan on running high boost. Everything is done under the dash on the boost controller, just a couple more clamps to go under the hood. Still have to reinstall the A/C lines, too, but I wanted to take pics first so the headers and DP could be seen better.

Spark plug access with these headers is actually much better than with the stock headers and even better than the Hooker headers I have also used.

I tried to get a decent picture of the driver's side header, but it doesn't show up well. Mark had better luck getting a decent driver's side header pic which is on his site.

Attachments

• t headers 1.jpg
    t headers 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 459
  • t headers 2.jpg
    t headers 2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 450
  • t headers 3.jpg
    t headers 3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 449
I have an old Trey Creze down pipe which I believe is the same as a Terry Houston down pipe. Will the TR Custom Parts headers work with this dp?

Does your DP make a wide swing out towards the wheel skirt? It will need to in order to clear the crossover pipe. As you can see from the pics above, the crossover ends up in between the header and DP. It's actually in about the same location as the stock DP.

Although I never tried to fit my old THDP style DP with these headers, I believe it would probably fit as my old DP does make a wide swing out from the turbine housing towards the wheel skirt.

My dp only clears #2 header tube by about 1/2", so I assume the TR headers will not fit. :frown:

I would have to say you're right. That sucks.

Mark does sell DP/wastegate combos that fit great, though. Well priced, too!