Bruce Plecan's turbo surge remedy works.

It's probably just the restriction effect. Putting a restriction in the inlet side is a known way to reduce surge. So we'd guess you'll also see the surge reduction from just a restriction with no whirling blades or any other magic as well. Like maybe put in a smaller inlet pipe section for example.

TurboTR

My thots..

It's probably just the restriction effect. Putting a restriction in the inlet side is a known way to reduce surge. So we'd guess you'll also see the surge reduction from just a restriction with no whirling blades or any other magic as well. Like maybe put in a smaller inlet pipe section for example.

TurboTR

exactly. I think Todd has pretty much nailed the idea.
Maybe someone will step up, and do a flowbench test??
We did some chassis dyno tests, and found that the convoluted inlet hose that was used in place of hard pipe, cost 12HP. As in turbulent flow is< laminar.....

We did some chassis dyno tests, and found that the convoluted inlet hose that was used in place of hard pipe, cost 12HP. As in turbulent flow is< laminar.....

You lost 12 hp did you use the stock convuluted inlet hose ? Isn't this about the HP 15-20 gained by taking off the restrictive original stock hose and filter housing and puttin on a Cold air system with K&N filter. Were you comparing flow thru stock hose vs a Tinman or Bigmouth in regards to surge? Sure the flow is going to be more laminar, less restrictive and greater and produce more HP in a larger smooth inlet pipe versus the original smaller 2.5" convoluted stock hose that is restrictive, and for sure convluusions will produce a turbulent flow by bouncing air and disrupting flow against length of wall. I just don't see the comparison as this was originally about stopping compressor /turbo surge by using a Tornado right up againt turbo inlet. Unless...Trying to understand Are you saying /suggesting theorizing that one could potentialy put the original 2.5" restrictive convoluted inlet hose back on and it would get rid of surge would be like putting a Tornado in a larger 3"-4" smooth laminar flowing inlet pipe.

I put a Tornado in back by my air cleaner and it didn't fix the surge, i.e., it's not enough of a restriction to cure it nor is it enough of a restriction to affect spool (according to my SOTP dyno). I'm told that the fix is to put it up by the turbo inlet, which I'm going to try to do this weekend. So if moving it does fix the surge, that means the restriction theory is disproved.

Jim

My take...

Were you comparing flow thru stock hose vs a Tinman or Bigmouth in regards to surge? Sure the flow is going to be more laminar, less restrictive and greater and produce more HP in a larger smooth inlet pipe versus the original smaller 2.5" convoluted stock hose that is restrictive, and for sure convluusions will produce a turbulent flow by bouncing air and disrupting flow against length of wall. I just don't see the comparison as this was originally about stopping compressor /turbo surge by using a Tornado right up againt turbo inlet. Unless...Trying to understand Are you saying /suggesting theorizing that one could potentialy put the original 2.5" restrictive convoluted inlet hose back on and it would get rid of surge would be like putting a Tornado in a larger 3"-4" smooth laminar flowing inlet pipe.

My observations were on a "homemade" CAI, on a T'foon. It was convoluted hose, w/ a K&N.
My idea is that the convoluted hose caused enough turbulent flow to reduce the volume of intake air. That in turn, reduced the HP.

Maybe, the real cure is to properly size the turbo to the application, and not run it on the wrong side of the surge line?? [Or, use 2??]:D
Bottom line:Would flowbench tests would help prove, disprove the idea???

Maybe, the real cure is to properly size the turbo to the application, and not run it on the wrong side of the surge line??

Nah, that's too easy.

Mine didn't really start surging too bad until I changed my exhaust system. Before that it surged a little but not enough to worry about. At WOT it's fine. I know when it surges and can stay out of it, but it would be nice if there was an easy way to eliminate it. The Tornado seems too good to be true but I'm still going to try it.

Jim

Nah, that's too easy.

Mine didn't really start surging too bad until I changed my exhaust system. Before that it surged a little but not enough to worry about. At WOT it's fine. I know when it surges and can stay out of it, but it would be nice if there was an easy way to eliminate it. The Tornado seems too good to be true but I'm still going to try it.

Jim
I really didn't notice the turbo surge when I put the TA49 on because I still had the stock downpipe and catalytic converter on the car. I started noticing the surging when I put the 3" ATR downpipe on the car and gutted the catalytic converter. At part throttle it would surge, and at highway speeds it would surge. After reading this thread I installed the tornado last week and I have no more surge. Install it as close to the turbo inlet bell as you can, I have mine clamped right there. HTH

Here's the Kenne Bell vortex spinner, circa 1990 or so. :p

KenneBellMafPipeEndViewFlash.jpg

KenneBellMAFPipeSpinner.jpg

KenneBellMAFPipeHalfView.jpg

The Surge menace I think I understand

Nah, that's too easy.

Jim

Jimmy glad to hear your finally going to put the Tornado where you were encouraged to put it in the 1st place. :eek: I know it sounds to good to be true. Was researching the different gas laws Boyles, Charles,Bernuilli, Ideal gas law,Ventrui and the one that seems to make some kind of sense was Poiseuille's gas/fluid flow equation of air flow thru a cylendrical pipe whether straight or curved takes into account velocity/speed, radius of tube, cross section , steady flow, radius and swirl components yadi yadi yah .

But in research come across the biggest culprit is gas flow speed thru engine that can cause surge was the type of cam one used. Ran across a site call turbodynamics that had a lot of info. Some meat and potatoes. Important factors are cylinider head porting and camshafts making . That bigger cams( big lift and overlap) isn't always better with a turbocharged car with NA cars yes. The cam design ( big cams with wild lift and overlap)can have serious side effect that induce "compressor surge" because of 'GAS SPEED" the other item that can cause surge or increas gas speed thru engine is slapping on a 3.5-4.5 " exhaust. Turbo systems were designed to run with some amount of backpressure. That some believe larger in general(big valves ,big cams,big turbo,big exhaust) is always the way to Power Nirvana. They said there were 2 camps of belief when it came to exhaust systems and they tend to go with smaller 2.5-3" mandrell bent exhaust versus 3.5-4.5 " drainpipes. Reason being That the turbo oil seal systems runs on a pressure differential and lack of backpressure causes turbos to leak not just at idle but also overun.They go into port matching blue printing, mapping, turbo matching, high boost big turbo versus a lower boost with a more efficent turbo matched to engine.

Noticed some said they got surge when they put on a larger exhaust system, this probably decreased backpressure and increased gas speed thru engine. The surge started when I went to a larger turbo(Te44 at least 300cfm more then the stocker I was using) but at same time I also changed to a straight thru muffler design(single exhaust with no CAT )as the other muffler I changed out had a multi chamber design thus it created more backpressure. It may not have been the turbo but the combination of decresing backpressure and increased turbo cfm thus causing flow thru engine to move much faster causing the turbo map to move towards the surge side of map. Putting in the Tornado probably slowed down the intake gas flow enough to compensate for the decresae in backpressure caused by new strau=ight thru muffler/exhaust so it swung the turbo compressor map back to the efficient side of the map curve thus eliminating commpressor surge.. What would be interesting is to take out Tornado and get an exact or similar multi chambered muffler put back on that still alllowed decent flow but increased backpressure just enough so that it brought the pressure differential within turbo back to normal. But sense it works now with no surge I may just leave it the heck alone the old saying if it works don't fix it..yeah yeah I think it makes perfect sense now ,complete understanding..LOL:eek: Man I don't even know really what I said it sounded kind of intelligent though.:cool: Well if you can't dazzle them with brilliance , baffle them with BS!;)

Ben it was good for .1 sec. in the quarter mile and 2mph, I had to buy it. :eek: ;)

Very few people have surge problems with small turbos unless running a front mount intercooler with them from what I've seen over the years.

Ben it was good for .1 sec. in the quarter mile and 2mph, I had to buy it. :eek: ;)

Very few people have surge problems with small turbos unless running a front mount intercooler with them from what I've seen over the years.

why would running a front mount w/ a small turbo be a problem where surge is concerned ?

Well, I am a sucker to try anything. I bit.:D Was having a part throttle surge on my GN. TA49 with a stretch stock location IC. I threw a Tornado in the end of my 3.5" solid MAF pipe and just got back from a run with it. Freaking surge is gone! Doesn't make sense to me!

The thing is actually pretty well built for what it is. I have an angled rubber connector coming off my turbo inlet so the only place I could put it was in the end of the pipe. Just flat out seems to work.:confused: Used the KI-85 size for the 3.5" pipe.

Well, I am a sucker to try anything. I bit.:D Was having a part throttle surge on my GN. TA49 with a stretch stock location IC. I threw a Tornado in the end of my 3.5" solid MAF pipe and just got back from a run with it. Freaking surge is gone! Doesn't make sense to me!

The thing is actually pretty well built for what it is. I have an angled rubber connector coming off my turbo inlet so the only place I could put it was in the end of the pipe. Just flat out seems to work.:confused: Used the KI-85 size for the 3.5" pipe.

Oh no, not you too!

Now I may have to try it... :cool:

Don't go by me! :D :D All I know is I tried it and it worked. Car seems to be as fast as ever, nice getting into some part throttle boost without the bucking.;)

And, having a hood mounted fuel pressure gauge, I noticed when I WAS having an episode of surge that the gauge was bouncing all over the place, nice and steady now. Going to do some more testing tomorrow as I am going to a car show that is about an hour away so I can hammer on it more than a few times.

Well Mark, Since I am running one of your 3.5" pipes, I just ordered the KI-85 off ebay. Maybe I'll have my GN back from getting the shaved handles repaired by the time the tornado gets here.

I am glad that you can't see it installed. I am ashamed to have one of these on any vehicle I own.:biggrin: :confused: :eek: