Blowing oil from every seam and smoking

Feeling your pain here. Take the breathers( oil fill cap) off the valve covers and start the car, if you hear exhaust through there you have blown a head gasket into the valley pan( as I did this past Sept. ), just a quick check for you.
Good luck with it.
Bryan

:mad: Ok. I have bad news. I'm trying to get my pennies together to cover a new paint job on the side of my car. Ive spent the last month doing bodywork which seems to be taking forever to get it right in what time I have to do it. When bad things happen, they always seem to happen in 3's. I'm scared :eek:
I just wish this wouldnt have happened while my paint is all stripped off.
Things I did today:
Missed work.
Re-located my check valve/pcv back to my drivers side valve cover, where it used to be, and plugged the factory hole. The vacuum signal feels 3 times as strong with this valve and this arrangement. I know it works really well based on what I saw (ill get back to that later).
Eliminated the EGR system.
Changed my boost bypass system around.
Went through 2 cans of engine degreaser over the motor and underside of the car since it sprayed oil everywhere.
Used some engine flush and a sacrificial filter, ran it for a couple minutes. While it was running, I popped my machined cap off the breather tower (where I have the new PCV line plumbed up) and noticed MASSIVE blow-by. I felt the draw on the line, and it has some serious vacuum with this setup. I moved the cap toward the breather tower where all the smoke was coming out, and it sucks the blowby up like a 5hp wet-dry vac. Very strong and no back flow leakage like most PCV's. But even with it sucking the blow-by up, I noticed with the dipstick pulled out a little bit, each time I popped the throttle, smoke came out of the tube. Given how much blow-by this PCV system sucks up, the blow-by has to be pretty bad for this to happen.
I drained the oil and replaced it with some synthetic blend and a K&N oil filter. Added a pint of valvoline SYN treatment, hoping that if I thickened the oil it may help. When the oil drained, it was literally like water. I also noticed alot of grit feeling debris in my up-pipe.
I know I did some other things but cant remember.
It was raining on me while doing this, but finished up before it got too bad. I took it for a drive and noticed no smoke and it seemed to be running great. I got back home and parked and let the motor run to see if any smoke came out from under the hood. There was smoke like before.:mad: So I pulled it in the garage, popped the hood and saw alot of oil had spewed out of the dipstick all over the header again.
So I pop all the spark plugs, and they all look great. I decide to do what I was trying to avoid...trying to avoid the truth, and I did a compression test. I used to get 150psi in every cylinder when I first got the car. All the cylinders were getting about 135. Not too bad. I had done 5 cylinders at this point and was feeling hopeful. LAst cylinder I did was #5, and I got 65psi.:frown: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :( :mad:
I poured some oil in that cylinder (a decent amount) and re-checked and got 90psi. I would think that I should see more than a 25psi gain, but I guess not.
Why the hell would all the cylinders be spot on at 135 and this one at 65, with the spark plug looking great with no signs of oil consumption? To be honest, I dont know that this cylinder hasnt always been bad. When I first got the car, I remember I did a compression test on 4 out of 6 cylinders and they were all good, but I dont remember which ones I did.
All I can do now is get rid of the vacuum setup on the passenger side valve cover I made, put a breather back on so it can breathe easier and maybe throw in some engine restore. If the problem is reduced significantly then I guess I'll know if the rings are gone. Maybe its a piston/ringland.
What sucks is that I never did get to enjoy the car after 3 years because something was always wrong with it. Ive spent countless hours trying to get ahead so I could sell it and get at least most of what I paid for it, back. But that never worked out. I keep getting offers to buy it but Im not selling it for pennies...I cant afford to. When a 1000 dollar problem can cost you 4000, you cant just give up I guess. Even if I dont have another car.

I think it is a blown head gasket. When mine went it blew between 1&3 the compression was 85 on those two and 150 on the others.

It sounds like head gasket pop into the valley area. With a leak down you will be able to hear where the air is escaping.

I think it is a blown head gasket. When mine went it blew between 1&3 the compression was 85 on those two and 150 on the others.

It sounds like head gasket pop into the valley area. With a leak down you will be able to hear where the air is escaping.

I think i already posted this above, dude suck it up and take the heads off, it is obvious you have a partially blown HG into the valley, replace HG and be on your way, just get it done and stop whinning like a little Ho*, we've all been there done that.

I think i already posted this above, dude suck it up and take the heads off, it is obvious you have a partially blown HG into the valley, replace HG and be on your way, just get it done and stop whinning like a little Ho*, we've all been there done that.

Its not whinning when you are asking legitimate questions about a problem. Thats the purpose of these boards ... to use the mistakes and experiences of others to help make educated desicions regarding troubleshooting and repairs. If you want to call what VadersV6 is doing "whinning" then almost every post on these boards are just that. VadersV6 is not an idiot and has contributed to countless problem solving issues on these boards...read all his posts before you call him a whinner. Until you get more than 19 posts yourself...keep your mouth shut. I know I dont want to have to pull my heads until I am 100% sure thats the problem.

Keep us updated on your progress Brent and dont ever give up. These cars will make you pull your hair out if you let them.

I didnt literally meant he was a whinner, but damn he is chasing something that i't's very obvious, just pull the heads and fix the problem, I know he is a good guy and very knowledgable about cars, I am sure he will get it handled in time..

FYI: the number of post say nothing of the person, on the other hand I do know vaderv6 quite well for many yrs now and fact is he is probably prolonging the inevitable because he doesnt want to admit that heads must come off to get to the bottom of the problem. :)

FYI: the number of post say nothing of the person, :)

No, but.... because this is the internet, perceptions carry a lot of weight, unfortunately. Attitudes can speak volumes! Copping an atitude isn't the way to win friends and influence people.

Thanks for having my back, yall...;)
I've had plenty of situations where it looks like my motor was toast and in need of a complete breakdown....but after looking into every possibility, I usually found it was something else, and I just saved myself alot of time and money by doing some exhaustive investigating.
Thats all I'm doing here.
It doesnt seem "obvious" to me that its a blown HG.
I wouldnt expect oil to make my compression jump up 25psi, if I had a blown head gasket....right? Seriously, correct me if Im wrong, anyone...it would give me hope that I dont have to yank my whole engine.
It seems to me that I may have lost a ringland on the topside of the piston and the top ringland, or just a bunch of debris got in that cylinder and killed the rings. If there are people here who have been there, done that and saw oil squirt in the cylinder, caused a jump in compression with a blown headgasket and no ring damage...then I have no choice. It seems I have no choice but to pull the heads no matter what. Its the pulling the whole engine thing thats got me real worried given my financial situation. I'm not totally 100% broke, (after christmas) but my car is getting in the way of more important things. I cant just look for any excuse to rebuild my motor just because I want to and have money to blow.
So, does anyone see oil getting squirt in the cylinder, causing a 25psi jump in compression, with a blown head gasket?

The plugs looked good, Correct? I believe the plug(s) would be oil fowled if the rings where bad or a hole/crack in a piston.

Also if the head gasket is popped into the valley area, pulling the intake you can see if the gasket is pushed out. The Intake has to come off to pull the heads any how.

How much oil did you inject in? If it was allot that in it self would increase the pressure.

We can not tell you 100% what it is, only want we think is. I would lean towards a popped head gasket. Since the plugs are clean and it sound like oil is not getting into the combustion camber. But I could be wrong.

I know how you feel, it seems like every time you turn around something else breaks. But these are not new car’s, they are now 20 plus years old now. So things are going to go bad.

Went through the same crap. Its a blown head gasket. Just do it cause once its done, it feels nice. But yeah Im going with HG's.

Good luck.

Ok oil in the intercooler can only be coming from the turbo, air in, air out period so if there is oil in there then the turbo is leaking again. You did say you guys put on a used one. Now for the crankcase pressure there is only 6 things that can do this that I know of. Number 1 head gasket pop into the valley area, 2 broken ring in that cylinder, been there, done that myself grrrrrr, 3 damaged bore wall in cylinder causing massive leak by on compression stroke, 4 stopped by convertor on exhaust, but this one will not make low compression in one cylinder so that is ruled out, and 5 is a stuck valve or not seating valve all the way which will make low compression but not blow by, 6 stuck pvc valve but that will not lower compression either. So really only 3 things. I would say that putting oil in the bore and your pressure jumped up 25 lbs could still be just the gasket but probley not. It would push it out pretty fast and then pressure would drop down again quickly. Either way I would just pull that head as much as it sucks and then you will have your answer. You will either see damage in that bore, bad gasket, or if neither then I would say you have a broke ring on that piston. Just my thoughts and I am no newbie, been doing motors of all kinds since I was 15 lol. I am 39 now. Good luck Daniel Ray

Just my thoughts and I am no newbie, been doing motors of all kinds since I was 15 lol. I am 39 now. Good luck Daniel Ray
Yeah, I started at 12 and I'm almost 37. All those things you mentioned, are things Ive considered and tried to eliminate, one by one. Thanks for the post, though. I'm pretty sure the piston was pretty high up in the bore when I did the wet test, so maybe the oil wicked up to the busted HG area and helped plug it a bit. I'd love to get a bore gauge and look in there before tearing the head off. I'm prepared to do a head gasket, but not prepared to do a rebuild. The car is running, and Id rather not completely disable it since its my only car. I can do a HG on both sides in a long day. If I were to look in the bore and see that its all marred up, then Id just leave the heads on and drive it for the time being.

Hey needboost,
I was thinking about the oil in the IC and recalled an experience of mine from way back.
Small block Chevy I used to run in one of my old Camaro's developed a blow by issue. I'd literally get frothy oil blowing up through the intake an into the carb and it would suffocate the engine. I never figured it out....I just replaced the engine.
Anyway...could the same thing happen to Vaders engine? Oil pushing up through the intake and down the intake tube and into the IC?

Tim

A bad intake gasket can cause pressure in the crankcase also. Oil in the intercooler and pressure in the crankcase seems like two problems to me.

Could a bad valve or guide, or ring on #2 or #4 let enough unburned oil get to the turbo to get the intercooler wet like he describes?

There should be a noticeable amount of exhaust noise/pressure coming from the breather/oil cap on the the drivers side. Have you checked this? Wish you were closer.

Hey needboost,
I was thinking about the oil in the IC and recalled an experience of mine from way back.
Small block Chevy I used to run in one of my old Camaro's developed a blow by issue. I'd literally get frothy oil blowing up through the intake an into the carb and it would suffocate the engine. I never figured it out....I just replaced the engine.
Anyway...could the same thing happen to Vaders engine? Oil pushing up through the intake and down the intake tube and into the IC?

Tim

Tim , I wouldn't think so but who knows lol. On these motors you have to remember that most of the time you don't have vacume like a non boosted motor so its trying to shove everything inside of the motor instead of just sucking it in there. You didn't tear that chevy apart when you pulled it? I would have had to just to see what the deal was. The only thing I can think of that will make one froth in the intake like you are talking about is a bad intake valve not seating fully and its shoving compression back into the intake. The oil could have been coming from bad rings in that bore or the pvc sucking a ton of oil into the intake. Daniel Ray