Blowing oil from every seam and smoking

VadersV6

This is the problem of the week. My turbo disintegrated about a month ago and Lou Czarnota gave me a new (used) t3-t4 as a replacement, and even installed it for free. Anyway, now, it has oil pushing out of the dipstick tube and the passenger side breather....LOTS of oil and every time I'm climbing the mountains on the way to work, and pushing 1-3psi, I start seeing a big cloud of smoke trailing behind me. Im sure everyone behind me appreciates it. Something is causing the crankcase to pressurize and blow oil out everywhere, all over the headers. Ive seen this happen with a stuck PCV valve, but I dont think thats the issue.
The turbo seems to be dying already. Dont know what it is, but this motor doesnt want to live. I have a ton of oil in the IC and the up-pipe...just seeping out of the silicone clamps. Its like oil is coming out of every seam possible.
What the **** is the problem!!! This car is killing me I swear to God. Total piece of **** from day 1 and nonstop work to keep it alive since the day I bought it.

Geez dude, you've got about the crappiest luck of anybody I know! :eek:

Do you have anything you can use as a daily driver? Cuz it sounds like that motor needs to be torn down and "checked" out.

I had a pretty much, new 99 cobra before I got this. Somehow I ignored every basic instinct I had and ended up basically trading one for the other.
My old boss is Iranian, and he had this saying from Iran...goes something like
"it only takes 1 fool to throw all of the village's gold in the lake, and all the wise men together, cant get it back out".
Meaning, basically, 1 idiot who owned this car, ****ed it up so bad that all the effort in the world isnt going to make it right again. I have no paint on the passenger side since Ive been doing bodywork, trying to prep it for paint. The paint cracked open everywhere a couple years back, and I stripped it all off. I hardly have any time at all to work on the car and my wife hates this thing more than you know, cause I can never get it in good enough shape to sell without losing my ass. Last week there was a windstorm, and while going home on the 241, I hit a tumbleweed which smashed my headlights out. So I replace them and the next day this starts. I still havent fixed my paint. I swear its always something.

Sounds like detonation may have broken a ring land or two or quite possibly a piston has a hole in it. I know the feeling. Plenty of cars with good intentions end up in my driveway only to be put out of their misery with a trip to the crusher.

If you have that much oil in the IC pipes then the turbo is letting a ton pass by it. There is probably a decent amount of shaft play but find out and hit us back.

You might want to get your oil looked at or tested to see if there is bearing material etc in it. You're probably killing turbo's due to a dying motor and debris is going to consistently eat up whatever turbo you put on there.

Ive never had an oil pressure gauge and I really wish I had gotten one a long time ago. I've always run synthetic, but I remember because of money issues, about a year and a half ago, I threw in some conventional. 500 miles later, I had a ton of shaft play, start-up smoke and blow-by. I threw synthetic back in, and the car ran well for a long time, despite having alot of shaft play, but somehow the turbo consumed no oil. The next time I threw in conventional was a couple months back. Within 500 miles, my turbo completely disintegrated. I have this feeling my oil pressure may be pretty low, and synthetic was the only thing helping the motor survive.
This oil blowing out thing happened before, and if I recall correctly, I flushed out the PCV with acetone, and the oil blowing out of the dipstick and breathers issue, went away. I noticed the day after Lou threw this t3-t4 turbo on, that I had alot of oil not only in the up-pipe and IC, but also in the intake tube. Explain that one to me. it was an actual puddle of oil in the rubber elbow and the inlet bell on the turbo. It had a decent amount of side to side play, and I dont know if it was like that already, or if my car did it. Lou replaced the oil feed line when he did the job, so I'm not thinking its clogged, unless the oil galleys have something in them.
When my turbo disintegrated, the motor burned up 5 quarts of oil and somehow lived to tell the tale. So the cat is probably clogged with carbon, which may be contributing/causing this issue. But I have so much work to do to the car, and no time to do it. I have a non car friendly boss and a non car friendly wife. I have about 5 hours on the weekend to do bodywork, and Im now a month into just doing the door and quarter panel, and Im still not ready for paint. Major project cars like this are for 18 year old kids who live with their parents and have no bills, and have another car to get around.
Anyway, bitch-fest over. The weird thing is that its starts blowing smoke at low boost under load. At WOT, I see NO smoke in the headlights behind me. Hows that for weird.

I noticed the day after Lou threw this t3-t4 turbo on, that I had alot of oil not only in the up-pipe and IC, but also in the intake tube. Explain that one to me. it was an actual puddle of oil in the rubber elbow and the inlet bell on the turbo. It had a decent amount of side to side play, and I dont know if it was like that already, or if my car did it.

That's a bad turbo shaft seal there. I've had that happen a few times. My car would only blow smoke out the tailpipe when I was under boost. Every once in awhile it would smoke but mostly on a bone cold motor or after I was on the boost. That's a cheap and easy fix on a stock turbo. You can find seals,bearings and rebuild kits on eBay and the instructions should be over on Turbo Regal Web Site . I just did a hot air turbo and the parts cost me $30. R&R'ng the turbo was the hard part. But you still have something wrong inside your motor. I'd do a compression check before I'd start throwing money at it anyway.

I had a turbo seal blow out....it would shoot blue smoke out of my tailpipes. Truth be told, I didnt really notice it until I got some letter in the mail from some lame side division of the DMV that dealt with car pollution. Apparently they have some hotline that people can call in and report cars. Letter said someone spotted me on the 210 freeway and called it in. Gotta love those snobby tree-huggers in Pasadena:rolleyes:. Found out a little later the cause was a leaking headgasket that was slowly clogging my oil pickup and ruining oil pressure. Thats when I said F it; yanked the motor and dropped in an 87 engine:p .

Well I checked my oil earlier and it read a quart OVER filled after belching oil out all week long. Honestly Im not sure how the motor could have survived being 5 quarts low. So maybe there was a dipstick issue or something and Lou over filled it. Hopefully this is the main issue. I made my own check valve/PCV valve hybrid thing today and mounted it in there. Hopefully it'll work out. If the PCV flows too much air though, it can throw BLM's way off. I guess ill find out on the drive home right now. Its basically like a boost controller...ball/spring type deal. I have some clearance between the ball and spring so that the ball can flop around freely about 1/16" to get the airflow I need, but then you blow in and theres no leakage whatsoever, like even the best PCV valves seem to do under pressure.

Im speachless, I spent the first half saying man that poor guy and then the tumbleweed flew out and i lost it, but now that im composed. i feel for ya..if you were closer i could rig you up with another block

Mike

Is it still blowing oil out of the dipstick with the correct amount of oil in it?

Ok so heres the diagnosis....there isnt one.
I need to call work to tell them I cant come in, but thanks to some awesome money management by my better half, our home phone is shut off and now our cell phones are shut off as well, as of last night. Awesome.
Before I left work last night, I hooked up a factory style passenger side breather hose to the intake tube sort of thing, hoping to vent the crankcase better. It made no difference. It actually smoked the entire way home, and now it wasnt smoking just under low boost. It was smoking like a steam train the whole way. I also made that check valve/PCV valve sort of thing.
I pulled in the driveway and smoke was billowing out from under the hood. I popped it and saw probably a quart of oil all over the drivers side header and plugs/wires/etc. It's still blowing out of the dipstick tube.
I checked all the plugs. Not a drop of oil on any plug. They all look great.
The turbo doesnt have any more shaft play than it had the day after it was installed. The cloud isnt coming from the tailpipes. Its coming from the engine bay when all the oil blows all over the headers.
Theres oil in the IC and up-pipe, but no more than its always had.
I popped the valve cover to check the guides. The exhaust valves definetely have a decent amount of play in the guide, but not THAT much play.
I have a question. I dont see how, but is there any way a severely clogged oil filter could cause/contribute to this?
After burning so much oil with the last turbo, my cat converter is probably clogged. Maybe the exhaust pressure is forcing the EGR valve open (normally is shut off by the extender chip) and pressurizing the crankcase. Thing is, I would think that with a turbo, without a solid pressure differential, the turbo wouldnt spool. If the cat was THAT clogged, it shouldnt spool well, but it spools very well.
Maybe the vacuum manifold block is cross leaking? But how would that affect this? I dont see it.

Brent,
you had wrote earlier:----->Well I checked my oil earlier and it read a quart OVER filled after belching oil out all week long. Honestly Im not sure how the motor could have survived being 5 quarts low.

So after a weeks worth of smoke screen you checked it and it was a quart over?, where does the 5 quarts low come into play if it was overfilled?...i got lost on that... was the 5 low before Lou?

If you cant get good reading or suspect misleading, drain oil and refill?

blow by comming out the tube is only a couple of things
1. bad pcv
2 bad rings or running so rich its washing the cylinders causing pressure to build up

May be the Cat..hit it with hammer and see if its got that dull plugged sound then drill some holes in it for quick fix

Dunno. im sitting here at office scratching me head

Mike

First off...man I feel your pain and am hoping for a happy ending here.

A couple suttle things...if I'm interpreting the sequence correctly, this all started the day after a tumbleweed strike out on the toll road. Is there anything that could have been damaged in the strike that might have started all this?

Also you keep referring to a home made PCV arramgement. An OEM PCV is only a few bucks from your favorite parts store. Why wouldn't you use the correct part?

Aside from that, if you're blowing oil all over blistering hot surfaces, I would not drive the car any more until you figure it out or we'll all be reading your "died a flaming death..." obituary before too long.

Can you carpool with anyone or use a van pool commuter service for the short term?

Praying for you, man!

You would be good in doing a compression test and or leak down test. This will tell you if there is an issue with rings, or other hard items. I would say that if your old turbo did a bad thing, there is the possibility that scrapnel ended up going through the engine. This could have caused untold damage. Lou seems to be a good guy, he should be able to help you with either of these tests. If you were close to me I would be more than happy to help.

Sure sounds like a case of a partially blown headgasket into the intake valley, this could pressurize the crankcase blowing oil out the dipstick, also bad valve or partially broken valve seat could do this, not to mention extra debrie that may have gone through the motor when your last turbo desintegraded parts of it could off made their way down to the combustion chamber ruining your piston walls and perhaps even the piston rings, check all that stuff, your best bet would be to do a compression check or leak down test to make sure everything still ok..

best of luck..

The check valve/PCV setup I made was something I did yesterday, after this already started. Theres really nothing wrong with the stock one, other than the fact it leaks slightly when u blow into it backward, but what I made, flows the same and doesnt leak at all. It has nothing to do with this issue. I just did a whole bunch of things, drove down to kragen to get some new filters and oil and engine degreaser. I putted down the street at 25mph, got home and there was oil all down the dipstick. The oil level is normal now, after blowing all that oil out, and its still doing it. I thought the manifold block could be doing something. Its not. I blocked off the EGR system altogether. Didnt help. Made that vent to the passeneger side valve cover. That made it worse...that really blows my mind. If the rings were so bad that it was blowing oil out of the dipstick tube, driving at 25mph, I think that may show up on the plugs. The plugs are all good. Not a hint of oil burning. The oil isnt going out of the tailpipes. All Im going to do now is throw in some engine flush and a sacrificial penzoil oil filter, drain it, and throw in some synthetic, some synthetic oil treatment and a K&N.
Im wondering at this point if the oil could be boiling from being wiped out, but I really doubt that.
My wife and I have been together 10 years, and have been trying to have kids for about 7-8 years. We tried artificial insemination (she had a violent reaction to the procedure), we've both been tested to death, and she had surgery where they scraped her uterine wall out and removed tons of cysts from her ovaries, since she has endometriosis. Her ovaries were the size of baseballs. That was 2 years ago and she still cant get pregnant. There was a baby girl who was going to be born in 2 months that we were going to adopt. Today she decided to keep the baby, so my wife is totally bummed. It costs serious money for in-vitro, which we dont have and adoption, even a private, independant adoption is alot of money. Going through an agency is like 25 grand. Anyway, she wants to set my car on fire right now, lol. Its the last thing she wants to deal with...that makes two of us. Oh well. I'll figure this POS out and sell it. I'll find a car thats a better foundation to start with.

First off...man I feel your pain and am hoping for a happy ending here.
this all started the day after a tumbleweed strike out on the toll road.

Here in Mich we just watch out for Deer crossing the road, Id hate to have a 100# tumbleweed jump out at me.

Put a vac gauge on it and see readings, i might lean towards the intake side blown HG as stated above in post.

You would be good in doing a compression test and or leak down test. This will tell you if there is an issue with rings, or other hard items. I would say that if your old turbo did a bad thing, there is the possibility that scrapnel ended up going through the engine. This could have caused untold damage. Lou seems to be a good guy, he should be able to help you with either of these tests. If you were close to me I would be more than happy to help.

Do a compression test or even better a leak down. I think it very well could be a blown head gasket. But......

The compression test / leakdown will tell you what is going on.

That is my 2 cents.