Blasting Media

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
I just finished setting up the blast cabinet in my shop, and was wondering what media people prefer for various jobs. Most of the stuff blasted in the cabinet will be small brackets and such from the engine compartment and undercarriage. The cabinet is 24"X36" so it'll hold a fair bit. I'm also considering a pressure blaster or soda blaster to use outside for the frame and bigger stuff. Or I may just take the big stuff in. I know it's messy, but I want to make sure it's done right. Thanks for any advice.

I think someone made a good reference to blasting media in the turbo lounge but I am to computer stupid to be able to find it. Trying to point you in a good direction, hope it may be helpful.

Scatblast is one of the fastest to remove rust ect, but it's harsh.:oops: I've actually removed aluminum from intakes with it to sneak through tech at some races.:eek::D It will remove just about any rust and sometimes metal, but it works great to clean things.;)

Soda will not remove rust. It works great on painted surfaces. I use glass media for fine parts and black oxide for everthing else. Make sure you have a vacuum hooked up and a good filter. I ran mine through a 5 gallon bucket of water. My neighbor taught me that little trick. If no water is used use a respirator .

From my research on here DO NOT use black oxide media or walnut on anything that is in the motor. Heads, Intake and such.

Bits and pieces of the media will remain trapped no matter how much you clean the part with air and water. They will eventually release in the oil and reek havoc destroying the motor. Plastic media is the way to go for internal parts.

D

Thanks for all the tips. I will see what is available locally and go from there.

My friend told me to use Red Garnet. They use it at a professional blasting and powdercoating shop. It works very well.