Billet head - design / build thread !!

BlownV6

Yes Im certain Im crazy!! But my quest for that 3 second time slip has lead me to believe that I needed a billet head that is way stronger and hopefully a bit better than the original stage 2 castings. This thought process began about 4 years ago when i started having head sealing issues. After many changes and upgrades , I feel we went just about as fast as I think I could go reliebly with the cast heads. Last year after several torching the head issues , I decided to park my dragster until I built some billet heads for it. With the design help of a good friend of mine and months of preperation , the prototype is in my hands for some final tweeking and problem solving. Here is a picture story of how it has gone so far.

These are a few pics of some of my thoughts/ideas to improve on a square port stage 2 head. First 2 pics show using a standard stage 2 rocker. Last 3 are with the more offset indy square port rocker. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,513
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,503
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 1,514
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,504
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,502
How much is a set going to cost me:biggrin:

Looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love those big square port indy heads though!! What a massive hole!!:eek:

Here are pics of the prototype head. It has 2.225" intake valve and a 1.600" exhaust. Right off the CNC machine it flowed 402 cfm at .850 lift on a 4.030 bore, hope to maybe get that to maybe 410 cfm but not sure if it will make it. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,468
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,456
  • MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,447
  • MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,441
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,433
Here are a coulpe of side by side comparision shots of a standard stage 2 head and the prototype head. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,421
  • MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,425
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,423
Here is a couple pics of the flowbench plate I made to accuratly measure our airflow numbers , and a coulpe of the set up to install pushrod holes thru the heads to get the pushrod hole location process started. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,371
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,387
  • MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,396
  • MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,465
Here are some pics as it stands right now!! I dilled holes and got some 5/16" pushrods installed. I have the Indy square port intake rocker installed and as you can see I need more offset (this was planned). I have a pair of T&D rockers with 1.85 ratio and .265" more offset in the intake rocker on order. Once I get those rockers in my hands I can more accuratly locate the pushrod holes and make them bigger for 7/16 or 1/2" pushrods. We may need to install a brass tube for the intake pushrod to pass thru as it is going to be very close to breaking thru into the intake port , so the tube would seal it off if it gets to close.

Attachments

• MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,470
  • MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,385
  • MVC-031S.JPG
    MVC-031S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,384
Here are pics of the prototype head. It has 2.225" intake valve and a 1.600" exhaust. Right off the CNC machine it flowed 402 cfm at .850 lift on a 4.030 bore, hope to maybe get that to maybe 410 cfm but not sure if it will make it. Mike:cool:

:eek: That is awesome. I like seeing milling machines and serious machining going on in posts here. I also love to see a project like this for the buick v6. Care to share any dimensions? I was going to make some sheetmetal stage 2 valve covers and I'm going to have to indicate each valvecover bolt hole in the mill to get the pattern (perimeter style).

With that intake bolt pattern, I assume you'll have to build a new intake also. I guess your running something custom made right now anyways.

Why did you decide on the square port instead of the tall and narrow port? It seems to me the design process could have been much easier with the tall ports.

Why did you decide on the square port instead of the tall and narrow port? It seems to me the design process could have been much easier with the tall ports.

The taller ports make the short turn down into the throat shorter and not quite as good. Yes it would have defenetly been easier to go that route ,but muck like you , I dont normally go the easy way!! Mike:cool:

:eek: That is awesome. I like seeing milling machines and serious machining going on in posts here. I also love to see a project like this for the buick v6. Care to share any dimensions? I was going to make some sheetmetal stage 2 valve covers and I'm going to have to indicate each valvecover bolt hole in the mill to get the pattern (perimeter style).

With that intake bolt pattern, I assume you'll have to build a new intake also. I guess your running something custom made right now anyways.

I bought these billet rails about 4 years ago to do the same thing for $150.00
plus shipping and are brand new. I would sell them for $150.00 shipped if your intrested.

Yes I wanted to make a new manifold anyway and these heads will require a totally different manifold. I cant make that until I get 2 finished heads so as you can see this project will take some time to complete. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-108S.JPG
    MVC-108S.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,327
  • MVC-109S.JPG
    MVC-109S.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,307
The taller ports make the short turn down into the throat shorter and not quite as good. Yes it would have defenetly been easier to go that route ,but muck like you , I dont normally go the easy way!! Mike:cool:
LOL You got me there.

Mike,
Going to take some doing getting the intake rocker geometry worked out. :eek:

Attachments

• MVC-031S.JPG
    MVC-031S.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,269
Mike,
Going to take some doing getting the intake rocker geometry worked out. :eek:

Please elaborate!! Im getting an intake rocker with .265" more offset than the one pictured , which will put the tip directly over the valve tip and leave the other side & pushrod cup where it is shown. The geometry will be adjusted with the height of the rocker stand/boss that I will need to make when I get everything figured out and in its place.
If you see something Im missing please speak up , as were kind of in this together!!:eek::eek::eek: Mike:cool:

There is medication for this obsessive behavior Mike! :biggrin:

Seriously cool project - I like it! You doing all this at home?