Billet head - design / build thread !!

Here are a few updated pics of the completed rocker stands. I used .035" washers on the outside of both rockers and a .060" washer betweem them which left about .012" clearance. Once I finish tumbling or blasting the parts I should be close to my .015" clearance target. Also got the rocker stands clearanced for the valve covers and took an additional .075" off the pushrod end of the rocker arms for more clearance to the valve cover. Today hopefully I can get to making clearance for these 1/2" pushrods. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 454
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 434
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 458
  • MVC-014S.JPG
    MVC-014S.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 446
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 439
Sure would like to see a mold of that intake port ! ....
GB

... Side note for Mike - Those Self heads went 341 cfm at .700". The port "intruders" are pretty sloppy. I'll see if making some new ones will help

Wow that surprises me that they were that good. Do you have any other head flow numbers to compare that to?? Mine usually check about 310 to maybe 315 max. I would be happy to share a port mold with you if I only knew how to do it!! After I get these pushrods installed my last (hopefully) project is to figure out how to make , fit & hold my port plugs. Mike

Pushrods

I finally got the holes in for these 1/2" x .156 wall pushrods I plan to use. As you can see there is quite a difference between a 5/16 and a 1/2" pushrod. All in all the angles I used came out pretty good , but I will have them make a .5 deg. change in one of the angles to provide a pinch more of a perfect sweet spot as it goes thru the lifting motions. Next job and its a though one is the port plugs. Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-016S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 387
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 382
  • MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 390
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 389
Port plugs

Stage 2 head design had the 2nd row of head bolts using all long bolts/studs because that bolt hole thru the head was very close to poking into the port. Most head porters actually ported the port over to or just beyond the bolt hole and then pressed a brass tube into the hole to seal it back off. This actually made the port swing around that bolt and back into the bowl area above the valve. We moved the entire port over and beyond the limits of using a long bolt/stud and thus requiring a short stud actually below the port line. As you can see in the pics this made a large void in the side of the port to access the stud nut. The port plugs will hopefully seal off the opening into the valve cover area with o-rings and provide a smooth port wall for max air flow. Check out the pics and I think you can get the idea of what a problem this is!! Mike:cool:

Second pic shows a port plug(sort of but dont want to get into what it really is). This would be installed in the head as part of the preliminary process before the actual CNC machining process on the ports. When finished the idea is to seal off the port into the valve cover area and to provide a more finished contour to the intake port.

Attachments

• MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 394
  • MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 396
  • MVC-021S.JPG
    MVC-021S.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 392
  • MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 396
hello; This thread reminds me of a guy going by the name "Crazy Canadian" who did the same with a HD Shovelhead engine. It was alot of work and he had a dyno to test with. As a matter of fact he came to the point of selling them for I don't know how much.
Keep up the good work as it must be a lot.
IBBY

Your port plugs are gonna end up a lot thinner than mine ..... hmmm , looks like a good place for a down nozzle!
GB

Kinda what I was figuring. I have a -8 o-ring (3/4-16) port tool that might work for making the fastening and sealing pocket in the head. That's only if your socket is smaller than 11/16" OD. I bet a -10 size would work perfectly. I obviously use them for -8 oring fittings in stuff like fuel rails, but the nice thing about them is the fitting indexes to the same place every time. Just like you would want for those plugs to get them to line up in the port. And the o-ring would seal the port from the crank case.

Everything looks good! I just noticed that your rocker shaft stands double as the valve cover screw bosses. neat :) How's your arm?

I'm a little stuck and was wondering if you could help. I'm designing a Series II/III billet head, and realised early on that I'd have to relocate the exhaust face to fit a good port. Either I copy the Stage II manifold face and bolt pattern, or use a ba$tard pattern that fits neither the Stage II or the Series II/III (but allows a beautiful port). Do you know the angle of the exhaust face and its relation to the cylinder centerline, and the bolt pattern?

Everything looks good! I just noticed that your rocker shaft stands double as the valve cover screw bosses. neat :) How's your arm?

I'm a little stuck and was wondering if you could help. I'm designing a Series II/III billet head, and realised early on that I'd have to relocate the exhaust face to fit a good port. Either I copy the Stage II manifold face and bolt pattern, or use a ba$tard pattern that fits neither the Stage II or the Series II/III (but allows a beautiful port). Do you know the angle of the exhaust face and its relation to the cylinder centerline, and the bolt pattern?

Im to tired to think about this right now. I will get back to you!! Mike

I finished up my port plug design and all the other changes or adjustments I wanted to make. My buddy Scott (got a pic of him) came over and we went over my 2 pages of notes so that we were on same page. He pretty much liked everything I wanted to change , and his comment kept being "No problem". I sent him on his way to digitise my changes and make program changes. He plans to head to Alabama in a week or so and hopefully get started on making one finished head. When that head is done we will bolt it on my block and make sure that we are good. After that they will go to work on the other 5 heads. Mike

Attachments

• MVC-026S.JPG
    MVC-026S.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 579
  • MVC-027S.JPG
    MVC-027S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 603
  • MVC-028S.JPG
    MVC-028S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 586
  • MVC-029S.JPG
    MVC-029S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 580
  • MVC-030S.JPG
    MVC-030S.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 579
That guy is gonna cost me a small fortune before its all said and done!!! But - what the heck!!! Mike

Please just don't take a pic of him in a mankini Mike.:p:eek: I'd hate to close the thread and ban you if you tried.:biggrin: LOL

how are your heads coming?

I've done quite a bit of work on the series III tall port head, and I'd appreciate the Stage II exhaust port location. thanks

Attachments

• stage II nov 20.jpg
    stage II nov 20.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 367
  • stage II nov 18.jpg
    stage II nov 18.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 367
Thanks Mike! I'm eager to see how your project is coming along!

they are a work in progress. I was studying a gen II viper head today...so many nice little details...that i will copy! :) T&D have told me that I can use warhawk LS7 rockers. those are peanut ports that need to be opened up. otherwise they're functional as is - minus coolant jackets.

i've designed the ports to be super tall - and they're nowhere near stock location. their current location places them over the head bolts; mopar W8 heads have the same issue...except that they're cast, and it's challenging to machine. i was thinking maybe they'd work with the stage II port location...so at least they'd bolt up to some existing header. gmpp will not give me stage II blueprints :( my question to you is whether you have your exhaust ports in the stock stage II location, and if you had a 2D side view, and flange schematic to properly locate it.

fwiw, since i already have the cad data, it wouldn't be too hard to relocate valves ;)