BigWood Racing's 3.5 External Gated Downpipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Just wanted to post some photos of the downpipes we've been building. These are 3.5 all the way under the car and join back up to the exhaust using the regular exhaust flange. They're custom made, by hand in shop here by us. No chinese crap. We'll do them on a per order basis if you send in your driver side header. As they are custom built, it will probably take 7-10 days to turn them around.

We're using 3.5 mild steel tubing (The thickest stuff we can buy) and TurboSmart wastegates, which is the Cadillac on wastegates. These should be good to over 1000 horsepower so I dont think boost control is going to be a problem.

PC010124.jpg

PC010125.jpg

PC010126.jpg

Price forthcoming :)

wow. very nice. i wish i could get something like that for my hotair car.

how much with a wastegate? Can they also be built in aluminum for less $$$$?

I doubt aluminum would be cheaper. The last ones I built were $699 for the pipe and $599.00 for the gate. You would need to send in your header so we can build the pipe and plumb the gate back into your stock header.

I know you can buy the chinese stuff way cheaper.. these pipes take a while to make. We're really not making any money on the pipe itself, we make a few dollars on the gates. My fab guy had 9 hours in the last pipe we built.. We charge $70 an hour for fab work so as you can see, Im losing money on these things.

Thank you very much guys!!!!! I was hoping to fire it up for the first time this weekend but I am still waiting on a few very micor parts to get here in the mail. I'm just waiting on the IC hoses and the IC pipes to get back from being ceramic coated. I really thought the hoses would be here by now and hopefully I will have the pipes tomorrow. Then, I just need to fire it up and check everything over. I have RapidoV6 coming here Saturday, then we are meeting up in Chicago with a bunch of the TR Boys. Hopefully I have all my stuff by then and RapdioV6 stays here for Sunday. I know it's not going to happen but my hopes are high! I cant sleep at night anymore, I cant freakin wait. Really thanks goes out to many many of friends for all of their help throughout the past few years during this build. Without them, I'd be lost!

Jay is getting a stainless version made up for me to match my T/A headers. I will post pics when I get it.

Wsln 6

Did you get your downpipe yet? I have a new set of stainless T/A headers that I'm going to use with my new combo and I might have Jay build a downpipe/external gate. Waiting for pics! -Steve

Nope, not quite yet. Talked to Jay a little while ago and it should be on the home stretch I am hoping...:smile:

Nope, not quite yet. Talked to Jay a little while ago and it should be on the home stretch I am hoping...:smile:

The pipe itself is done. We're waiting for one last piece of tubing to finish up plumbing the gate in. Ill snap a pic of the pipe itself and post it shortly.

Shots of the downpipe.

Attachments

• IMG00563.jpg
    IMG00563.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,666
  • IMG00564.jpg
    IMG00564.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,450
Looks good Jay! I used to have a header just like that in my garage....:biggrin:

Looks good Jay! I used to have a header just like that in my garage....:biggrin:

We're trying to get you sorted now. I apologize for taking so long.. the stainless thing kind of threw me as we dont usually keep any stainless tubing in stock and it was a pain to source it at an affordable price. We're about done with it, tho and it fits AWESOME.. its the best fitting pipe we've made for a Buick.. we have a new fabricator and he went at it in a completely different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.