BigWood Racing's 3.5 External Gated Downpipe

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Just wanted to post some photos of the downpipes we've been building. These are 3.5 all the way under the car and join back up to the exhaust using the regular exhaust flange. They're custom made, by hand in shop here by us. No chinese crap. We'll do them on a per order basis if you send in your passenger side header. As they are custom built, it will probably take 7-10 days to turn them around.

We're using 3.5 mild steel tubing (The thickest stuff we can buy) and TurboSmart wastegates, which is the Cadillac of wastegates. These should be good to over 1000 horsepower so I dont think boost control is going to be a problem.

PC010124.jpg

PC010125.jpg

PC010126.jpg

Price forthcoming :)

No Chinese crap. :cool: :biggrin:

Why do you have to send in the drivers side header? :confused:

Passenger side I could see mebbe....

What headers are on the car in the pic? they look nice. :cool:

Whoops.. youre right.. thats what I get for trying to post and answer the phone at the same time. Corrected that mistake :)

They're TA headers.. Im not sure we could fit a 3.5 on ATR headers with the way the crossover comes around but if it can made to be fit, we can make it fit :D

We also can build custom headers, etc for anyone that needs that kind of work done.

WOOHOOO!!! Those headers look very familiar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this means the car will finally be running soon!!!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

WOOHOOO!!! Those headers look very familiar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this means the car will finally be running soon!!!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I know you will be happy! Nothing wrong with getting it right the first time:biggrin:

Looks great Jay.
Only thing I noticed & may be an optical illusion, how close is the lower radiator pipe off the header feed for the wastegate? I know there is normally an O2 bung there on the T/A headers.
Still loooks great,nice job.

Could you do a T4 flanged set of headers with a Vband on the down pipe??

Not interested at this time, but this summer I a making something go real fast... either this car or this little V6 Fbody beater that I have been tinkering with.

What happened to the forward facing headers that you guys were originally making for the masses? Did tests not turn out as planned? Looked pretty cool.

Could you do a T4 flanged set of headers with a Vband on the down pipe??

Not interested at this time, but this summer I a making something go real fast... either this car or this little V6 Fbody beater that I have been tinkering with.

Yes

What happened to the forward facing headers that you guys were originally making for the masses? Did tests not turn out as planned? Looked pretty cool.

Theyre done.. just never did anything with them. They're sitting on our test car behind the shop. We can build one off sets if anyone wants.. if you want them mass produced, shoot Shane a PM and tell him so :)

Looks great Jay.
Only thing I noticed & may be an optical illusion, how close is the lower radiator pipe off the header feed for the wastegate? I know there is normally an O2 bung there on the T/A headers.
Still loooks great,nice job.

Its not close. We took out the O2 bung and the wastegate feed is where the O2 bung used to be.

Theyre done.. just never did anything with them. They're sitting on our test car behind the shop. We can build one off sets if anyone wants.. if you want them mass produced, shoot Shane a PM and tell him so :)

:biggrin: I need some concrete yes's on that one before I pull that trigger! They are ready and are awesome though!!!! That is an expensive project when you keep it American. I can't do the off shore deal, especially with the economy in the shape it is in...

:biggrin: I need some concrete yes's on that one before I pull that trigger! They are ready and are awesome though!!!! That is an expensive project when you keep it American. I can't do the off shore deal, especially with the economy in the shape it is in...

Shane have you done tests with the forward facing headers vs a set of TA's? If you show gains over the TA's, I will support ya.

About $1300 with the gate. The gate alone is $600.00.

Im really not sure I can build more than 1 or 2 at that price. There's a ton of time involved in them and we're losing our ass at this price but Im hoping my fab guy can turn them out quicker now that he's done a couple.

We had 22 hours in the two we did for the guys here.. no way I can bill for that kind of time. That doesnt even include the materials. Id try a couple more at that price just to see if he can do them faster but if the shop cant make any money on them, theyre not worth making. If you saw the workmanship, you could understand why there is that kind of time in them. Good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good.

snip......Good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good.

A wise man once told me......

"Good, Fast, Cheap..... pick any two"
You can get a product good and fast.... but it ain't gonna be cheap.....
You can get a product good and cheap..... but you ain't gonna get it fast....
You can get a product fast and cheap....but it ain't gonna be good.....