BigWood Racing's 3.5 External Gated Downpipe

A wise man once told me......

"Good, Fast, Cheap..... pick any two"
You can get a product good and fast.... but it ain't gonna be cheap.....
You can get a product good and cheap..... but you ain't gonna get it fast....
You can get a product fast and cheap....but it ain't gonna be good.....

Yea.. and who knows.. if the demand is there, we could get some of these mass produced but I really like the one off fab aspect of this. Everything just fits. SeeYaBye has his back in his possession. Im sure he'll be chiming in on the workmanship soon.

If our fab guy can get them down to about 7 hours each, I can do them for this price.I actually have an idea on how to do them a little quicker, I just need one more person to order one so I can see if my idea is any better :)

We could always shuttle these off to China and have them made for $50.00 each but Id rather keep them made here in house. That way I know every one that goes out the door A) Fits and B) The workmanship is top notch.

BTW, for anyone interested, I talked to Jose today about the wastegates and he says he has people making in excess of 1400 horsepower with this gate and able to lower the boost to spring pressure. This gate is the real deal. We have two of the 60s on the race car and they will also run at spring pressure.

In comparison, I had a Mustang in the shop last week with a Tial 38 on it with a 9 PSI spring and no boost controller of any sort on it that buried a 15 PSI gauge the first time we stabbed it.

Never mind...re-read ur post & it finally sunk in :redface: . Nice gate btw!

I can vouch for the time/material costs required to build a custom down pipe. With a pipe that big, you will NEED the actual car there to ensure that it fits. Chassis, differences, motor mounts, headers, turbo, body shift, body mounts..........it ALL adds up to issues. Nice fab work.

Yep not cheap! I had my 3.5 SS internal gate DP custom made and it was $800.
Cost of the 3.5 Stainless
Cost of the flange
Cost of the tooling and labor.

I asked if anyone was interested and got tons of bites but the price scared everyone off. :( I guess everybody wanted China prices. :rolleyes:
You can't put a price on quality JayC. ;)

IMG_0812.jpg

Yes it is a quality thing... If you want a Quality made Custom American built piece their it is... We don't get anymore American than us Good Ole Boy's in NC:biggrin:

Just so you guys know we got TR's at the shop with any kind of configuration you may need. You need Stage II stuff, we can do it... So if you need anything fabricated let us know if we can help!

Great meeting you Jay! I must say, I am completely impressed with the quality of the work done on my car. The work is even more impressive in person. For anybody that is not familiar with them, Bigwood racing is the place to go for anything you can think of. Jay Carter really knows his stuff! I am a thoroughly satisfied customer, and will be taking my car back to have the engine management installed and the car tuned on their dyno.

Great meeting you Jay! I must say, I am completely impressed with the quality of the work done on my car. The work is even more impressive in person. For anybody that is not familiar with them, Bigwood racing is the place to go for anything you can think of. Jay Carter really knows his stuff! I am a thoroughly satisfied customer, and will be taking my car back to have the engine management installed and the car tuned on their dyno.

Glad you're happy with the work.

Ive got a car coming from Florida in a couple of weeks we're going to build some custom headers for and a 4 inch downpipe. I'll post up some pictures of those when they're all done.

Ive got a car coming from Florida in a couple of weeks we're going to build some custom headers for and a 4 inch downpipe. I'll post up some pictures of those when they're all done.

That will be a nasty build...

Shane have you done tests with the forward facing headers vs a set of TA's? If you show gains over the TA's, I will support ya.
whts the cost on the fwd facing headers i dont remember if you ever said in the other thread jay...

What happened to the forward facing headers that you guys were originally making for the masses? Did tests not turn out as planned? Looked pretty cool.

We flowed them vs ATR's... They picked up 22hp I think. The 1 3/4's we made are probably too big for most 109 combo's. The next set will probably be 1 5/8ths..

If someone has a set they want to send us to test against we will be happy to do it!

whts the cost on the fwd facing headers i dont remember if you ever said in the other thread jay...

If we use the kickass collectors, probably about $1700 a set. If we use the cheap collectors, it would probably be several hundred cheaper.

Took the downpipe off today to put the exhaust gaskets in, the pipe falls right into place. Fits even better than a stock piece! No cussing, prying, pulling, or anything; just drop it into place and bolt it up. Looks like you get what you pay for. This has to be one of the best investments I have made in this car.

Took the downpipe off today to put the exhaust gaskets in, the pipe falls right into place. Fits even better than a stock piece! No cussing, prying, pulling, or anything; just drop it into place and bolt it up. Looks like you get what you pay for. This has to be one of the best investments I have made in this car.

Dude, quit teasing me damnit! I still have to wait for mine! And then to make it worse, I have to take the header and DP in to get ceramic coated before I can put it in. Thing is with my set up, I've been waiting to get this to put my new Stage 2 that I have been building for 2 years in! I CANT FREAKIN WAIT!!!!:biggrin: Things are really starting to come together!

;)

headers for my chevelle

Man them headers and downpipes are looking nice. I might have to bring my chevelle up and let you make a set for it sometime. is a 67 chevelle with a gn motor in it.

Dude, quit teasing me damnit! I still have to wait for mine! And then to make it worse, I have to take the header and DP in to get ceramic coated before I can put it in. Thing is with my set up, I've been waiting to get this to put my new Stage 2 that I have been building for 2 years in! I CANT FREAKIN WAIT!!!!:biggrin: Things are really starting to come together!

I know just how you feel. I have been without my car for more than a year. I'm so glad to see things are finally going back together. You will be very impressed with the fit and finish of the downpipe. I've had so many people stop by that have built race cars and been welders their whole lives that can't believe how nice the work is! It is worth the wait! Hang in there!:D :D :D

Man them headers and downpipes are looking nice. I might have to bring my chevelle up and let you make a set for it sometime. is a 67 chevelle with a gn motor in it.

Bring it on! We can build you ANYTHING you need.