Best Polish/Wax to use on a GN

1987WE2GN

Hi all
I have 2 black cars (Shelby & an 87 GN) I have used Zaino and a German polish/sealant with good results. I am looking to take it to the next level. I have some surface scratches nothing major. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

For polishes, I use Mcguires 105 or 205 depending on the needs. Waxes are totally subjective. Me, I use Mothers carnuba's.

I use this with great results.
wax.jpg

^^^ x2 on the Blackfire. My favorite on a black car. The key though is in the prep. Get that right and it'll make any quality last step product look good. As mentioned, highly subjective subject and your gonna get all kinds of answers.

For black cars, the best I have used is Turtle Wax Black Box. 3 part system for black cars only. Be sure to wear latex gloves. Once you go Black Box....
Here's 23 year old original paint.

I use duragloss total protection polish, I find it does a better job than all of the more expensive brands I've used. To maintain the look I follow up with the aqua wax detailer they have. My paint gets compliments where ever I go and it's close to 21 yrs. old now. It's also amazing on other colors too. Many of my friends have also switched over to this brand after seeing my paint.

Griots here, now it's time consuming. In my opinion it's the best I've used. I onlyuse it on my black ones because its too time consuming on everything else.

There is nothing better than Brazilian Carnauba wax. Buy the cheapest product that contains this. Kit is the cheapest that I know of and is typically found at Ace hardware stores. $8.00

I would recommend you invest in a random orbital polisher if you don't all ready own one. Use a decent polish like meguires 205 or Menzerna on a foam polishing pad. After you remove the minor swirls and scratches you can then top with the wax or sealant of choice. Most of your gloss is from polishing, not waxing. I like most of the Adams products as they are easy to use and produce great results. I also like Pinnacle Souveran paste wax on black. (It's expensive but a tub will last a long time)

Sometimes it takes several different polishes and pads to see how paint reacts. No single polish is a "one size fits all" .All around, m105 and m205 two step polish has got me pretty close to perfection on most cars. However, as mentioned above, menzerna has been highly recommended by another board member who does paint corrections for a living.

I like Adams glaze and sealant, I also use their buttery wax and their detail spray.

Last edited:
Hi all
I have 2 black cars (Shelby & an 87 GN) I have used Zaino and a German polish/sealant with good results. I am looking to take it to the next level. I have some surface scratches nothing major. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.
Not happy with Zaino?
Sal Zaino comes to the local car shows with his Lambo. Nice guy, he likes my GN, I showed him my 10 sec slip.
Funny while kids swarm his car he is over hanging out by mine.

Last edited:
Everyone looks for some fancy named crap when meguires m105 to cut and m205 to finish has been around forever and is available at your local auto parts store! They have a "enthusiast" line in smaller bottles too. Named differently "ultimate rubbing compound" and I forgot the other.

Proper machine makes all the difference in the world too. I use a flex 3401 and depending on the paint, an orange micro fiber pad to cut, white microfiber pad to finish, a red foam pad for waxes, sealant and wax.

If you're looking for PROFESSIONAL opinion, contact underboost, his work is second to none.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Some idiot who works the frame machine at the paint shop "polished" my hood. I wanted to kill him but I figured any more work from him would remove the paint so I fixed it.