BB turbos and the 61mm P-trim PTE water cooled? Or Turbonetics P-trim BB Where 2 buy?

Rowdy45466

I have been doing my home work and have been reading and searching for what the pluses or minuses are with the BB turbos. I like the idea of a water cooled unit but are they tried, tested, and true?

Does it make much difference?

The engine is fairly tame mild cam, standard heads, ported intake, 70mm TB, new 60lb injectors and Turbo Tweak chip, new 255 fuel pump, and hot wire kit, Hooker Super Comps, ESP front mount inter cooler, new plugs, wires, coil packs, tps enhancer, 160 stat, 9-10" convertor suppossed to be 3k+ but feels tighter, line lock, Trans Go shift kit and billet servo.

I don't know the current turbo size but the seals are shot. I don't get much play in the shaft up or side to side. But it is sucking oil and fouling plugs ect. All cylinders comp is OK.

Sure low 11s would be nice after a roller cam upgrade and some valve and port work maybe even Champions.

Could it run high 11s with what I have and a 61mm turbo or should I try a smaller size?

It may only hit the track once or twice by me. I want to smoke my friends hopped up n/a LS1 Camaro.

Also where do you place your trust when spending 1K$ and then some?

Jack at Cotton's has been very helpful and John at ESP too. Talked to Mike at Fullthrottleperformance as well. May consider the BB Gt6131e.

Thanks,
R

I have a bb61 from Cotton with the 4" inlet. It spools QUICK with the 3000 stall 9x11 converter. Bone stock 125k mile longblock.
I made 3 passes with it so far. With a 14lb spring in the wastegate, I ran three 13.40's with a worn out cam. Lots of torque, but you could feel it lay flat above 4500rpm.

I hit the dyno with it a month ago at 20psi and did 322hp/360tq running rich, around 10.5-10.7. This is still with the worn out cam and the powerband falling out at 4700. With a fresh cam, little more boost, and lean it out a bit, I don't see why I couldn't hit high 300's to the tires on the stock longblock.

I would not go smaller than a 61.

SO will you stick with a flat tappet hyd cam? Or will you go hyd roller?

What stall do you have? Is it 3000 like you mentioned.

I figure with ported heads and a decent hyd roller cam, 61mm P-trim or bigger I would want to lay 400 hp to the rear tires. I may have to add alcohol injection to it to get it there.

I want to spank my friends N/A LS1 Camaro that has stage 3 ported heads a high .580ish cam headers, and he is adding a LS6 intake and a larger throttle body. He has nitrous but he may take it off he will be like me and hit the track once or twice a year but we both drive like a teenager who stole it.

Thanks,
R

SO will you stick with a flat tappet hyd cam? Or will you go hyd roller?

Am going with a flat tappet that I have in the garage already until I can scrape up enough for the roller. Go roller if you can afford it.

What stall do you have? Is it 3000 like you mentioned.
It is advertised as a 3000 stall, lockup unit. It is NOT a restalled stock 12" converter though, so I'm not sure if those "2800 stall D5" would work or not. All I know is it drives like stock and spools quick!

I figure with ported heads and a decent hyd roller cam, 61mm P-trim or bigger I would want to lay 400 hp to the rear tires. I may have to add alcohol injection to it to get it there.

With the right tune, you should have no problems getting there. I plan on running one of Razor's Progressive Alcohol Control systems in the future.

I want to spank my friends N/A LS1 Camaro that has stage 3 ported heads a high .580ish cam headers, and he is adding a LS6 intake and a larger throttle body. He has nitrous but he may take it off he will be like me and hit the track once or twice a year but we both drive like a teenager who stole it.

That LS1 should be well into the 11's, high 10's if he sprays on you, so watch out! :cool: