Precision TE-60-1 rebuilt with Garrett BB center section cartridge smoking

It's been a while since I've even taken the cover off of my car, work life etc... just been busy. I finally got the issue sorted out, after three brand new center sections all with the same smoking issue issue. We installed a Vibrant oil restriction fitting kit and all is good. No more smoke, the turbo seems to be happy and car has never felt better! Accidentally hit 25psi of booost on 94 Octane and Meth, o2's were 740's mv and no knock but I won't be doing that again.

Jim what was the restrictor orifice? Less than the approx .040" one that is usually used on the inlet of a garrett?

BPE2013@hotmail.com
Hi Bison,

I was provided with the Vibrant Part 10287, I used the smaller of the two jets it's .030. My turbo is a dual ball bearing, I may try the .045 jet tomorrow and see if I still have the issue with it. it came with the following. Sorry it took so long to get back to this but I needed to step away from the car for a bit.

• Two threaded stainless jets
  • .060 With no jets for journal bearing turbos
  • .045 Jet for single ball bearing turbos
  • .030 Jet for dual ball bearing turbos

Hi Bison, this morning I put in the .045 jet, the smoking issue is still solved so I will leave this one in as it's larger. One thing I noticed is how much faster the turbo spools since I added these restrictors, the boost response is insane, I hit the trans brake and I see 22 psi of boost in a fraction of a second and that's filling a big cottons front mount.

I checked my oil pressure, cold it was 75 psi on the VDO (GNX style dash) guage, once warmed up I had 35psi at idle, driving it was between 35-65 psi depending on rpm. I'm very happy to have this issue solved, as I said the turbo seems happy.

I also cranked the engine without starting it and the oil feed line removed, I pumped the oil in into a container, there's a lot of oil that comes out of that little hole. This has turned my car into an entirely different animal even with the fat tune I have right now, too bad it's time to put it away for the winter.

Hi Bison, this morning I put in the .045 jet, the smoking issue is still solved so I will leave this one in as it's larger. One thing I noticed is how much faster the turbo spools since I added these restrictors, the boost response is insane, I hit the trans brake and I see 22 psi of boost in a fraction of a second and that's filling a big cottons front mount.

I checked my oil pressure, cold it was 75 psi on the VDO (GNX style dash) guage, once warmed up I had 35psi at idle, driving it was between 35-65 psi depending on rpm. I'm very happy to have this issue solved, as I said the turbo seems happy.

I also cranked the engine without starting it and the oil feed line removed, I pumped the oil in into a container, there's a lot of oil that comes out of that little hole. This has turned my car into an entirely different animal even with the fat tune I have right now, too bad it's time to put it away for the winter.
Sounds good. I build these with a 59 MFS compressor wheel using a Garrett .63 exhaust housing and the spool once the slack is taken out of the converter is about .3 seconds

BPE2013@hotmail.com