calling all turbo experts, need to know best use for 6176 bb water cooled turbo, help

threerail

okay, its turbos for dummies time,lol,have a line on one(6176 bb water cooled) but is it a good fit for upgrading from te44, can get a good used price 600 bucks, have very ported stock heads filled egrs backcut valves,bowl work 95 lb springs etc. ported intake,hemco,62 tb, 208/ 460 lift flat tappet,3000 stall 10 inch single disc lu, hofer trans, 60lbs, 28 in drs and everything else to go with it, any input would be appreciated, my first choice is a new 6262 bb turbo, but there pricey $$$ or maybe 6152 journal i know of 500 bucks, whats the best bang for the buck, best spool and converter etc. thanks rob,.. dazed and confused but willing to throw money at it. oh and i just bought razors dual alky to add too. these turbo cars are addicting!!

okay, its turbos for dummies time,lol,have a line on one(6176 bb water cooled) but is it a good fit for upgrading from te44, can get a good used price 600 bucks, have very ported stock heads filled egrs backcut valves,bowl work 95 lb springs etc. ported intake,hemco,62 tb, 208/ 460 lift flat tappet,3000 stall 10 inch single disc lu, hofer trans, 60lbs, 28 in drs and everything else to go with it, any input would be appreciated, my first choice is a new 6262 bb turbo, but there pricey $$$ or maybe 6152 journal i know of 500 bucks, whats the best bang for the buck, best spool and converter etc. thanks rob,.. dazed and confused but willing to throw money at it. oh and i just bought razors dual alky to add too. these turbo cars are addicting!!
It will support mid 10 sec power. You can't lose for $600. If you try and run it hard you will need a better converter

thanks for the reply bison, i always try to look for your insight on this board as well as many of the other more knowledable guys here, i guess what i need to know really is not just what turbo supports the most power, but would the 6176 bb water cooled be more streetable feeling and responsive than the 6152 journal bearing would, you see im looking for a good street friendly, fast on the fly kind of response since my car is 98 percent street driven, im kind of concerned that the big 76 bb exhaust side may be lazy compared to the 6152jb am i thinking right? or will the ball bearings make it spool as good as the smaller journal bearing 6152, and again, considering my mods, what do u guys think? others please weigh in on your personal expierience, see i have never driven or expierienced these types of turbos at all, thanks

6176 bb is very streetable and quick spooling 127mph @24lbs with that exact same combo you have. The 6152 journal bearing is not as quick to spool as the 6176 bb on that same combo. Ask me how I know.

did some poking on turbo chart, if i am getting this right looks like the 76 in 6176 is the wheel style not size, and as close as i can figure the pt 6176bb water cooled is about the same as the new pt 6162bb on precisions site, and should support about 640 hp, am i right, and with a 3000 stall 10 inch i should be able to spool nicely, dont u think.

checked my true stall speed on my 10 inch lu... 2650 at zero boost with my te44, 3000 stall takes about 7 pnds boost, on the foot brake, i have a trans brake should i check that too, will this spool the 6176 im interested in? ... where are u guys... help lol!

I did a thread a whilke back about turbos like this with small compressors and 76 trim ex wheel. The turbo will support mid 10 sec power but it needs a converter that will couple. I used a PTC 9.5" in the tests. It stalled to 3000 at zero boost/vacuum. The turbo had journal bearings and a Garrett .63 ex. It spooled nearly as fast as a 6262 ball bearing with the Precision .63 on it. I wound up making 500whp with boost int he high 20's and heads with a bowl cleanup. The car went 11.30 on a hot day with a poor 60'. Then this May i ran it with a 60-1 compressor and 76 ex wheel and it went 10.61 with boost around 29psi. You wont be able to get a 10" to couple the power this turbo can put out.

did some poking on turbo chart, if i am getting this right looks like the 76 in 6176 is the wheel style not size, and as close as i can figure the pt 6176bb water cooled is about the same as the new pt 6162bb on precisions site, and should support about 640 hp, am i right, and with a 3000 stall 10 inch i should be able to spool nicely, dont u think.

It would be closer to a 6165.
The 65 is the new version of the 76/Ptrim.

thanks bison, you heard me calling! lol, so this would be a great choice if i run a ptc 9.5 and lots of boost, but on a 10 in lu and 23 pounds of street boost on pump gas and alky i wouldnt see a big difference huh? thanks rob

thanks for the reply john, any opinions on streetability on this 6176bb wacooled combo at street boost levels with my converter, heads in my original post questions

I would run it, I had a 6265 WCBB that I bought for my car.
I sold it before I got to run it, but we should have it running in a couple weeks.
With a PTC 9.5 3000 it would work for sure, it should be ok with your converter as well.
You may have to spend a little time tuning it.

thanks again john, sure is tempting me to go for it for 600 bucks i think i will jump! i have a feeling im gonna shred some drag radials though lol, playin with the spool fuel in first and some timing my converter and it might just get along fine!