Balancer cracked at keyway.

turbows6

Ok, posting from phone so I'll be brief. My alternator wasn't charging and I noticed the balancer was wobbly. I took it off and noticed it was cracked. The crack was through the keyway area. Has anyone else had this issue?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

when they crack that's where it usually propagates. The shape of that keyslot causes a stress riser in that area.

This is common if the balancer wasn't properly torqued. It can eat away at the crank being loose also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may sound dumb, but that balancer never had a pressed fit. You could slide it on. Maybe it was always cracked. It was this way on two different cranks. I just didn't know any better at the time to worry about it.

It shouldn't be a press fit if it's a stock one

Wow, ok, well let me ask you this... did any other cars use the same balancer that are common in the junkyard? (LeSabre with waste spark 3.0 or 3.8 etc)

Wow, ok, well let me ask you this... did any other cars use the same balancer that are common in the junkyard? (LeSabre with waste spark 3.0 or 3.8 etc)

Only 84-89 turbo engines with the distributorless ignition system have the same balancer.

Brian... Is this the same thing that you sent pictures of on my motor???
No. The pics I sent you were of a crank gear that was hammered on with a punch and had ding marks all over it.

I know the motor will be awesome when finished, I also know that cam you designed is to work with the heads... I forgot what you said about that.. did you have to change anything. You should take some pics and post them up.....

Yup. I'll send you the pics when i have it at that point