TR-6 On Twin Turbo

Recent updates............

Nothing! Not a damned thing!

This past weekend, I was supposed to get the car back to my house for a clean-up and some mild test driving. I was going to go through the tune and do an all parameter check and review. But it never happened. I had to go on a 15 hour excursion on Saturday (the weather was beautiful) to pick my daughter up from college.

Sunday it rained.

This week I work every half day and full night. And this will continue until July.

Next weekend it appears it will rain both days. Saturday and Sunday

The weekend after that I need to go to the company cook-out. I don't think I can opt out of this one.

The weekend after that is Memorial Day and Muscle Palooza at Lebanon Valley Dragway. I have no idea how I'm going to make it to this event. I'm not even interested in racing it. All I want to do is drive it there, sit back and relax, and see and hang out with all the boys.

The weekend after that I will be leaving town for a few weeks.

It never ends! I might not be able to enjoy a stress free cruise in this thing until the very end of June.

I need to manage to squeeze some miscellaneous minutes into this mass of anarchy at some point. But I just don't know when.

In late May, I was finally able to get the Buick back to the house and clean it up for the summer. It took about 30 hours of work broken up into miscellaneous nights and weekends to get it back to how I always keep it during the normal driving season.

Then I was I was supposed to drive it a few hours away for a weekend excursion at Lebanon Valley Dragway's Muscle Palooza. That never happened. I went to the event anyway, but the Buick stayed home. Two reasons kept me from taking the Buick. The first was the possibility for rain that weekend. The second was that I had not had the opportunity to road test the new TR-6 setup and breather assemblies to the point of confidence. So instead, I covered the car and tucked it away.

Soon after Muscle Palooza I left for Italy. I spent nearly two weeks in Europe before coming home to the construction industry madness of school construction and renovation in the Summer time. This weekend the temperature in New York soared into the high 90's with "real-feel" temperatures well over 100. Most people use this as an opportunity to remain indoors and air conditioned.

NOT ME!

I used this weekend to finally take the opportunity to test the Buick under the worst driving conditions possible.

Yesterday during the hottest portion of the day, I let it idle, spent time in stop and go traffic, took it out on the highway, and then drove it to a cruise night before finally getting it home around 8:30 p.m.

Today, it was even hotter. So I took it to a car show and won a trophy for Best Engine. Afterwards I cruised it up I-684 and leaned on it pretty hard for a few data logs. I even had the balls to turn the boost up!

Afterwards, I reviewed the data logs and I returned to the garage and conducted a close inspection.

This is what I found............

It appears as if my breather assemblies have truly performed flawlessly! The tubing does not appear to be stressed or softened by the vibration or heat. Crankcase pressure must be venting freely because I am no longer blowing my dipstick tube up and I am no longer blowing oil out of my rear main seal. I was afraid I would smell oil vapor in the car because the vent breathers are so close to the windshield. This has not happened. No oil smell!

My Individual EGT monitoring is showing me the smoothest cleanest lines it ever has. I assume this may be due to the fact that in previous recordings, with the stock coil pack, there may have been slight missing and cutting out. With the TR-6 and Holley/Pantera coils this is not happening.

Not that any of this has anything to do with the TR-6 install, but I also noted the following.................

My hot idle oil pressure hasn't changed in 12 years.

My coolant temperature never climbs above 171. And that's only for about thirty seconds after the fan comes on. Most times, even in traffic, it sat at a solid 168.

Tranny temperatures can quickly climb above 220 degrees. But after turning on my tranny cooler fans they never again went higher than 185 degrees.

Highway cruising air temps were in the 115 degree area. 3 seconds of boost and alky was bringing the air temps to near 70 degrees. I'm okay with that on a 98 degree day.

And now for the one concern I have................

I am noticing that the bolts holding my coils on are loosening very slightly after a few hours of driving. When I give the coils a wiggle I can barely feel they have become un-snug. A quarter turn with the nut driver seems to alleviate the situation. However, I'm not sure if a split lock washer will do the trick, or if the copper is just too soft to grip the threads, or if the solder is giving up, or whatever. But I'm certain that the current set up will be more than adequate for the remaining season. Either way, I have already figured a quick fix for this problem. If they continue to show signs of loosening I will just install longer bolts that thread through the coil bracket to the bottom and then install lock nuts there. This only slightly changes the design because now I will have to remove the coil bracket to access the lock nut at the bottom to remove an individual coil. No big deal though. I can live with that.

So in conclusion, life is good for now. The Summer has begun. And now all I need to do is drive it and keep it clean until the Fall. Then it will be time to take some more shit apart and create some new nightmare project that will need to be completed for next Summer.

Here's a few pictures from today's car show.

IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG

Love the twin turbo engine bay
one trophy and many more to collect

Joey, every time I see your car I still can’t believe what I’m seeing. Damn , it’s got to be the best looking naked women ( I mean car ) I’ve ever seen. Hands down !!!!

"won a trophy for Best Engine" Really? That hard to believe......
I actually didn’t feel comfortable excepting the trophy. These local shows are attended by a lot of retirees and old friends of mine.

It was hot and uncomfortable and some of these guys do their best to put as much effort into their rights as they can
"won a trophy for Best Engine" Really? That hard to believe......
Actually, this time I would have preferred it was awarded to someone else.

It was blazing hot in that parking. Most of the guys at the show are the local retirees and friends of mine. They build some nice stuff and do what they can on fixed incomes and minor age related disabilities. Yet they still got out of the house on the hottest day of the year and sat there sweating and baking until the trophies were announced! I only hope I will be able to hold up as they have when I'm a few years older.

For this, every one of them deserved a trophy!

Joey, every time I see your car I still can’t believe what I’m seeing. Damn , it’s got to be the best looking naked women ( I mean car ) I’ve ever seen. Hands down !!!!

It's obviously important to me that this thing continues to looks like that image I drew up in my mind many years ago.

But it's much more important to me how the combination runs as a whole. Every time I sit back and look at this thing I know that none of this makes any sense if it doesn't perform flawlessly for what I intended to do with it.

This is why driving it, testing it, and pushing it on the hottest day of the year is an absolute necessity. This doesn't mean that I'm not going to baby it afterwards. Of course I am! But I want to be sure that I've covered all my bases.

I wish I could continue to upgrade this car and keep it current with all the new performance technology, bells and whistles. Some of the stuff in my car is just old tech now. But who can ever keep up?

I don't like when people post threads about performance upgrades they have made without sharing the final results of their work. This is why I wanted to give you guys an update on how my modifications are holding up and also why I'm not afraid to admit that the copper coil brackets may not have been the best idea. Earlier in this thread they had originally been intended to be used for mock-up purposes. And then I chose to use them as the permanent mounting solution. Since I have the fix already figured out, I'm not too concerned. But if I had to do it again, they would have been fabbed up in stainless steel.

I actually didn’t feel comfortable excepting the trophy. These local shows are attended by a lot of retirees and old friends of mine.

It was hot and uncomfortable and some of these guys do their best to put as much effort into their rights as they can

Actually, this time I would have preferred it was awarded to someone else.

It was blazing hot in that parking. Most of the guys at the show are the local retirees and friends of mine. They build some nice stuff and do what they can on fixed incomes and minor age related disabilities. Yet they still got out of the house on the hottest day of the year and sat there sweating and baking until the trophies were announced! I only hope I will be able to hold up as they have when I'm a few years older.

For this, every one of them deserved a trophy!

Spoken like a true gentlemen! Without question you have one of the most (if not the most) beautiful car/GNs out there. And you drive yours all the time. That's the amazing thing about it. I've known people growing up that had cars/hobbies and that's all it was, a hobby. They never drove them. God forbid take it to the track..... They would do work to it, polish it, through it on a trailer, take it to a show, come home and put it back in their garage until the next show. That's it. BORING! And on top of all that those cars weren't even fast. By the sounds of it, in the summertime, your's is practically a daily driver.

Also, I always like reading your threads. You have such an attention to detail and very well thought out ideas and the best part is you never do them on the cheap! As far as "this time I would have preferred it was awarded to someone else" I get what you're saying. It's like Floyd Mayweather taken on amateurs.

Spoken like a true gentlemen! Without question you have one of the most (if not the most) beautiful car/GNs out there. And you drive yours all the time. That's the amazing thing about it. I've known people growing up that had cars/hobbies and that's all it was, a hobby. They never drove them. God forbid take it to the track..... They would do work to it, polish it, through it on a trailer, take it to a show, come home and put it back in their garage until the next show. That's it. BORING! And on top of all that those cars weren't even fast. By the sounds of it, in the summertime, your's is practically a daily driver.

Also, I always like reading your threads. You have such an attention to detail and very well thought out ideas and the best part is you never do them on the cheap! As far as "this time I would have preferred it was awarded to someone else" I get what you're saying. It's like Floyd Mayweather taken on amateurs.
Very well said.

Absolutely gorgeous! Very creative, resourceful way to organize your engine bay/ ignition... yet, functional too. Very well done!

Well it finally happened. About two weeks ago, someone came over to me at a local car show and did exactly what I never wanted to happen.

Please refer to my own quote from post #17.

"After looking at the coil set-up, I began wondering if there would be those who questioned if this was an LS engine.
I hope this doesn't happen ! Because that would just cause me to go into bitch-fit mode and want to stab someone in the throat."

SON OF A BITCH!

This guy walked over to me and said "I see you got rid of that V6 for an LS motor." I jumped up off my chair and walked him to the front of my car and asked him to count the cylinders. Then I proceeded to explain that there were a dozen LS cars in the lot and every one of them, stock or not, was slower than mine.

I didn't stab him in the throat. But I think he knew I wanted to!

Some asshats speak but don't know jack shit.

You had to know it was only a matter of time.

One of my previous ventures was primarily "idiot proofing" a process.

Just when you think that there is no way anyone could possibly be so foolish... Someone proves you wrong.

If anybody ever asks, “How do you improve upon PERFECTION?” Then, all you have to do is share this thread with them!!

Good Heavens Man do you ever sleep? I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, your car is outstanding in every way shape or manner! (For those of you who haven’t seen pics of the undercarriage, trust me it’s just as clean and detailed)!!

Your attention to detail, humbleness and general love for our cars is what it’s all about, at least for me anyways!

As far as the LS deal is concerned, I knew it was coming too! Very unfortunate that there are so many idiots out there! And it sounds like your response is probably more than I could have mustered! In that, the stabbing him in the throat was probably far more appealing given all of the time and effort that you have invested in avoiding that very scenario!

Please know your car and attitude is truly an inspiration to us all! So, keep doing what you’re doing and thanks so much for sharing with us! As there is always something to gleaned from stuff like this, no matter what level we’re at!!

Thanks,
Phillip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I see you got rid of that V6 for an LS motor." (what a fuckin moron)

Bout time you gotta real motor (LS) in that thing..... See, I knew you'd come around!

Was probably some peckerwood millennial that can neither count or spell (lord only knows what they're teaching in school these days) hence the LS logic/reasoning. Glad I never had kids..... Should'a slapped the shit outa him.....

Well it finally happened. About two weeks ago, someone came over to me at a local car show and did exactly what I never wanted to happen.

Please refer to my own quote from post #17.

"After looking at the coil set-up, I began wondering if there would be those who questioned if this was an LS engine.
I hope this doesn't happen ! Because that would just cause me to go into bitch-fit mode and want to stab someone in the throat."

SON OF A BITCH!

This guy walked over to me and said "I see you got rid of that V6 for an LS motor." I jumped up off my chair and walked him to the front of my car and asked him to count the cylinders. Then I proceeded to explain that there were a dozen LS cars in the lot and every one of them, stock or not, was slower than mine.

I didn't stab him in the throat. But I think he knew I wanted to!

That's just not right.
In the mid Eighties a body shop owner/ friend tried something different and filled the seams between the block and heads and water pump on the 6-71 supercharged small block going in his '56 Chevy.
He overheard some doofus tell his buddy he read about this new one piece block where you put the pistons in from the bottom. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Some people??????

Well, as it was explained to me in an apologetic manner by the offender, he was fooled by the engine compartment's configuration.

I asked him, "Why? Do you see a lot of LS engines configured like this?"

He said, "I have seen twin turbo LS engines before. But not as nicely laid out. But you stuck with the V6 to give you more room to configure your set-up."

I said, "No I didn't. I stuck with the V6 because that's all I need !"

Anyway......he wasn't the first confused observer, and certainly won't be the last.