Arizona DMV

gmpower

Ok so I hear California is doubling car registration fees soon. Add this with the emissions testing we all hate and I am currently considering registering all my cars in Arizona, since they have no emissions for an 87 and I hear the fees are much cheaper.

What do I need to do to make this work? live In CA, so I assume I would need an AZ address. Is a PO box good enough? Will my cars have to pass a visual inspection at the AZ dmv? I'm hoping I dont have to physically bring my cars to AZ in order to register them there.

i believe that if you are bringing a car from another state that you DO have to physically bring them here for them to pass an inspection to make sure that it is safe to be on the road.

my parents bought a 72 skylark from california and they had to go throught inspection with it.

as for the emissions testing, YES we do have them! any car that was made after 1967-5+ years old has to go through emissions. some of the newer cars you can pay for 2 years registration and only have to do it every 2 years. BUT, you only have to go through emissions if you live in pima and pinal county (basically thats phoenix, tucson and the surrounding areas) google maps will give you a better idea of where the areas are.

i just recently had to take my 87 gn and my 72 skylark through emissions. the gn went through no problem, the skylark:biggrin: i had to take to a "emissions repair" place so they could hook it up to the same machine and lean out the fuel mixture and turn down the idle so it would pass:cool: .

on a side note, my registration fee for each car is $20.17!

hope this helps,

buickbert

mine are titled in AZ

in Kingman, there are no inspections or emissions regulations there,(mohave county)
I have a home there, but reside in calif, I have 5 cars titled in Az, and plates are $32 for 2 yrs, ea.
insurance isn't concerned about where they reside, as long as there garaged.
I have an az drivers license also, but its a CDL, so no hassles on that.
yes, we will end up back there, but not yet..... but the way taxes are looking. maybe sooner than I thought. LOL
you will need a physical address, but they will send all paper work to another address, ( like calif) and the DMV will need to inspect the cars, but just for vin #, not for emissions etc.
hope that helps.

Actually any car insured in AZ as a classic...which means limited miles per year...only supposed to take to car shows...etc is exempt from emissions...both my cars are exempt...I cruise them on the street all the time but I do keep the mileage low...

Actually any car insured in AZ as a classic...which means limited miles per year...only supposed to take to car shows...etc is exempt from emissions...both my cars are exempt...I cruise them on the street all the time but I do keep the mileage low...

what are the mile limits on them?

buickbert

what are the mile limits on them?

buickbert
yes i have my t insured as a classic car and i dont take mine either to emmissions is so nice i jus buy tags over the counter the miles deprnds on your ins, company i have state farm u will need a appraisal to get classic ins.

yes i have my t insured as a classic car and i dont take mine either to emmissions is so nice i jus buy tags over the counter the miles deprnds on your ins, company i have state farm u will need a appraisal to get classic ins.

My State Farm Agent did not ask for an appraisal on my car, I took a bunch of pictures and told them what I thought the car was worth. Mine is 2500 hundred miles a year. They did ask about parking in a garage and having more than 1 vehicle.

thanks for all the useful info! this process seems more complicated than I was hoping for, since there is a mandatory vin inspection and I would have to drive each car to an AZ dmv... 12 hous one way!:eek: :eek: :eek: I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the new CA regulations go first.