Are Walbro pumps now trouble free?

ANDYS87

I remember a number of years ago thet the Walbro fuel pumps had some kind of problem w/ reliability. I think it was the M style pump from the mustang, modified to fit Gn's. Did they fix whatever issue it was? I don't want to upgrade to a piece of junk!

SOME of the Walbro 169 pumps were bad, not all. That said, I've got a new, never used one that I'm afraid to use and will replace with a 340.

169 pumps have been trouble free for over a year now, what is the date code on the one you have? A 340 pump will not really fit in a GM hangar it is made for a Ford, it cn be machined down in a lathe to make it a 340M but there is no reason to not use the one that fits
Mike

169 pumps have been trouble free for over a year now, what is the date code on the one you have? A 340 pump will not really fit in a GM hangar it is made for a Ford, it cn be machined down in a lathe to make it a 340M but there is no reason to not use the one that fits
Mike

Mike,

I'm looking to buy one soon and avoid the bad ones. Which one from your catalog is the one I need? My ultimate goal is mid 11's w/60lb injectors.

F20000169vs340

Dcp_3061a.jpg

I have 2 169 pumps that were purchased from Mike @ Full Throttle in 2005/2006. They both were in high 10 sec cars with no problems. In fact, I just put one in a friends low 11 sec car that had a faulty 169 pump bought in 2010.

Walbros come with a lifetime guaranty,If it fails before you die they kill you for free.

It's the other way around. They have a lifetime guaranty against failure till you run gasoline through it. :eek:

we ran in the 9s with that pump.. Then a few months later it died :rolleyes: It was weird. We have gone another route for now :cool:

I know the trend is to rag on Walbro pumps but I have never had one fail of 3 & 2 are still in my double pumper but I had 2 GM ones go bad in 1 summer in about 94-95

Got two from Racetronix in spring of 2009. Still working fine. Hotwire kit, two pumps that run all the time. I have ran a ton of 93, 110, and E-85:eek: through them.

I know the trend is to rag on Walbro pumps but I have never had one fail of 3 & 2 are still in my double pumper but I had 2 GM ones go bad in 1 summer in about 94-95

Have one fail at WOT at the top of the quarter and tell everyone what happens because I sure can.:mad:

I got one from Racetronix. It was a piece of junk that ran about 3 seconds. I then bought one from Mike Licht, which has ran perfect.

Mike was great to deal with, Racetronix not so much.

Not to pick on you GN vendors, but this line tells the whole story and why I'm confused Walbro keeps getting recommended here.

"Did you ever call Walbro to express your concerns with their warranty program or lack thereof"

There's a pump now with a 3 year warranty and they are literally on the board talking to customers. Sounds better to me and I don't even have their pump.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/vendors-customer-service/299811-racetronix.html#post2337536

Did you ever send your pump into Walbro for testing and warranty consideration? Did you ever call Walbro to express your concerns with their warranty program or lack thereof?

I was answering the original post question "Are Walbro pumps now trouble free?"
The answer being "Yes from Mike, and no from Racetronix".

In answer to your first question, no I did not send the pump that I puchased from Racetronix to China or wherever they are made for any testing.

In answer to your second question, no I did not call China or wherever they are made to express my concerns. I called you at Racetronix. You sell the item, you are responsible for customer service and the product. At BEST, Racetronix showed me an unbelieveable amount arrogance and unethical behavior. To not replace or provide a refund for a defective product that you sell is the poorest of business practice. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars from purchases off the internet for years, and have never had such a bad experience as I had with Racetronix. Never again.

If I purchase anything from anywhere and it initially does not work, I return it to that location. Be it Walmart, Sears or wherever. I have never had a problem with that, nor should I. It would be ridiculous to do otherwise. If I find a flaw in a diamond from the local jewelry store should I contact South Africa to complain? No, of course not.