Anyone thought about a MG Convertible hybrid?

81LimitedT

I have recently sold my 81 Limited & know of a friend who bought a ?70's MG Convertible.
She has kinda tired of it, isn't interested in restoring or keeping it and looking to sell it since summer.
Anyone think they wanna tackle a MG to 3.8 conversion? Just a thought- I have enough DD/ project work and no money or storage......
- Mike

If its a MGB a swap is not too bad!!!!!! But a MG midget is slightly crampted, engine compartment wise. I have a Buick v6 powered midget, but it has a tube frame chassis, coil over suspension, narrowed 8" ford rear, auburn pro lsd, 400 whp, 274" carbed engine. Weighs 1500 lbs. plus driver, and goes quite well. Its an autocross/hillclimb car.
I'm in the process of building a 1700 lb. Miata with a turbo buick v6. Should be some what quicker, I hope, I have no experience with turbos, but I expect this site will be giving me a lot of help, I'm going to need it !!!

Rex

If its a MGB a swap is not too bad!!!!!! But a MG midget is slightly crampted, engine compartment wise. I have a Buick v6 powered midget, but it has a tube frame chassis, coil over suspension, narrowed 8" ford rear, auburn pro lsd, 400 whp, 274" carbed engine. Weighs 1500 lbs. plus driver, and goes quite well. Its an autocross/hillclimb car.
I'm in the process of building a 1700 lb. Miata with a turbo buick v6. Should be some what quicker, I hope, I have no experience with turbos, but I expect this site will be giving me a lot of help, I'm going to need it !!!

Rex

Geezus, you running a 274 stage 2?

Stage 2 block and internals,ported stock 4.1 heads, the stage 2 heads were too bulky, And with the stage 2 intake made the 4barrel too high. I didn't, want to run a hood scoop, I wanted for it to look some what stock,except for the flared fenders and roll bar.

Rex

13 to 1 compression, I'll put up some pictures as soon as I can get my grand daughter to show me how!!!

If you've already got the pics on your puter it's really simple. Below the reply box you'll see "upload a file". Click on it and you can load directly from your puter.;)

Is the HP numbers measured? What cam are you running? I built a similar engine but with aluminum heads and stock stroke. Have NO idea what it will make but I figured it would be 350 to 400. Can't wait to see the pics

402 hp on a chasssis dyno. at 6800 rpm. 3.625 stroke with 4.00 bore. The iron heads are ported with bigger S/S valves, I think 1.77in and 1.60 ex, with aluminum roller rockers. I don't know the cam specs. But I had good power to over 7000rpm. I routinely turned it to 7500rpm.

Rex

Enough already, quit teasing us and show us the MG! ;)

My dad had a mg that he was thinking about putting a 350 in, but was worried about keeping the front tires on the ground. Knowing what he thinks is fast though the tires would never leave the ground.

400HP to the wheels is awesome and encouraging. I too have a really big solid roller cam that will pull well into the 7K range. I have a slight advantage with the aluminum heads but also the aluminum will decrease the heat retention (seen as compression) a little too which is a slight disadvantage. I also have a non stroker crank so might be down approx. 20 Hp. All in all sounds like my estimate will be fairly close. There is always the nitrous waiting if I get greedy. You have a cool sounding car but pics would be better :D .

I would think that 13 to I is a little much for the street, But I imagine that guys have done it. A lot of $ for fuel tho.

Rex

My granddaughter is coming bv Sun. To roll her eyes and show me again how to send pics.

I have a complete stage 2 motor hid in my garage that was for a street car. I would consider selling it if your intrested for $4500 Mike

Attachments

• MVC-201S.JPG
    MVC-201S.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 165
  • MVC-203S.JPG
    MVC-203S.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 169