Anyone see this Buick V8 powered Porsche on eBay?

Why three mufflers?? Let's hear the Buick V8 lay down a sound track!

Crossflow has gotta hurt'da flow? No?

Awesome car! I'm so tempted to buy it! Too far from me.

I had an azzs heavy car... a Lotus Elise. What a death trap! When you brake traction in the rear......, round and round you go, where it stops, nobody knows.

No skilled driver can save it. Just like the Corvair.

Well at least he won't have to worry about breaking the transaxle with too much HP.

A built NA 231 would be faster and would only weigh a couple lbs more.

The guy has no imagination..........or an empty checking account.

Here's a place that sells all kinds of neat things for that motor. RPi Engineering - V8 Engine and Component List

And if I didn't want to screw around with EFI I would have to bolt on this(see pic)

Everybody forgets that the old aluminum Buick V-8 is to Europe what the SBC is to us over here in the USA. Plenty of parts over in Europe to make that car go fast.

Attachments

• 215 Weber Intake.jpg
    215 Weber Intake.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 328
I was expecting to see a 350 or 455, not a baby nailhead! :eek: Odd choice, but plenty of torque I guess.

I was expecting to see a 350 or 455, not a baby nailhead! :eek: Odd choice, but plenty of torque I guess.

No torque here. Just a baby 215 V8 that Buick unloaded on Rover in the 60's because it didn't make enough HP for American buyers.

With a tiny Aluminum block, it's light, though.

No torque here. Just a baby 215 V8 that Buick unloaded on Rover in the 60's because it didn't make enough HP for American buyers.

It was too expensive to make which is the reason it was shelved. Rover bought the rights for a song. I bet if you were to get out the calculator you would find that the power to weight ratio was the same or even better than the SBCs at the time. 150HP and 220lb.ft @2400 for the 2V and 185HP and 230 lb.ft @2400 for the 4V with only 215 cubes sounds pretty torquey to me. The engine wasn't a dud. Buick kept on using the 300 cube cast iron block version of it until it came out with the 340/350 small blocks. Like I said the alloy block was too expensive.

It was too expensive to make which is the reason it was shelved. Rover bought the rights for a song. I bet if you were to get out the calculator you would find that the power to weight ratio was the same or even better than the SBCs at the time. 150HP and 220lb.ft @2400 for the 2V and 185HP and 230 lb.ft @2400 for the 4V with only 215 cubes sounds pretty torquey to me. The engine wasn't a dud. Buick kept on using the 300 cube cast iron block version of it until it came out with the 340/350 small blocks. Like I said the alloy block was too expensive.

Were Buick V-6's too expensive, too, so they sold them to Jeep? The 225 Buick V6 had 235 ft-lbs of torque, which is 5 more than the even the 4bbl 215.

And that's Gross. 185 HP/230 lbft Gross is somewhere around 130 HP/180 lbft Net, if you want to compare it to something from the 1980's... like a Chevy Citation 2.8L

The 215 WAS "Too expensive" compared to a Straight 6 that made the same HP and more torque, yes, but what car in the late 60's did Buick make that someone would pay even a dollar more to have a tiny V8 (Or Buick V6) in?

Also, I don't think I would go so far as to call it the small block chevy of Europe. Europeans can't be that dumb, can they? From the website you posted, it seems that start to break around 300 HP and look to cost 4X to much to build as a SBC. A Small block ford only weighs 100lbs more and can make 2X the power before breaking.

I guess that's why we are here and they are still over there.

Aluminum block casting in the 50's was in it's infancy. Casting aluminum blocks in the 50's-60's was labor intensive. So yes the 215 was to expensive to make. Every motor in your example is cast iron. Come on think man!

When you get a minute or two to kill do a search on the Rover V-8. Yes it is the SBC of Europe only because they are just as plentifull and as cheap as the SBC is over here. Lots of exotics built in the UK used the motor. It even won a few Formula 1 races. How many SBCs can lay claim to that? My favorite race cars that used it were the old Bob Tullius Group 44 TR8s. You'd crap in your race suit if you had to race one with the GP2+2.

I'll have to dig up a story if I can remember where I read it. Everybody knows Bob Lutz, right? Anyway he is into the Buick/Rover V-8 big time.

That Thor FI would look good on this Porsche.

If I owned a TR8, I'd put a stroker 302 in it and call it good.

I'd have 1/2 the cost and twice the HP of the Rover motor while adding less than 100 lbs.

Bob Tulius raced the TR8 successfully because he was racing against other crap cars from the 70's and early 80s, like Monzas and AMC Spirits and Gremlins.

There are some high dollar sports cars for you :rolleyes:

I saw the Gr44 TR8 race down here at Sebring in 01. It was some British vintage race car get together. I was impressed anyway. So much that I wanted to swap in one of those Rover alloys into a Regal. So my search for knowledge began. I can't get my lawn mower to start but I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the Buick/Rover V-8. Oh well time and money are never coordinated when they are teamed up with one of my projects. If Gustav stays the course maybe I'll have a few flood car Land Rovers to pick over when New Orleans floods again. Here's the link to Bob Lutz. Now I remember how he is connected to the Buick 215. CanadianDriver: Feature - Interview: GM Vice-President, Bob Lutz I see he is an old Buick man. It's probably the reason why the Buick name will never get canned as long as he still working for GM. There's a few other sites like British V-8 magazine that are a good source for parts and information.

I ran across this story this morning. CanadianDriver: Motoring Memories - Apollo GT, 1962-1965

Another exotic powered by the Buick 215. I don't know what you would call it? Italian,American or Canadian? It makes you wonder where Buick got the name Apollo from? Oh yeah. Now I remember.:rolleyes: (they borrowed it from NASA).

BTW if you're a car freak bookmark the site. I like the Motoring Memories page along with the ocassional Modern Classics. They are brief and to the point and interesting.:smile:

That is a good looking car.

What are the odds, that Buick would have a car called Apollo pitched to them 7 years before the NASA mission and then they name a car after the NASA mission Apollo.

Buick must have bought the name in a trade for drivetrains or something.