Anyone run NGK Iridium plugs?

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
Was thinking about trying these plugs out...the NGK UR 5 IX plugs to be exact, but wanted to see if anyone's had experience with them before buying them...

Thanks, The Darkside

I have them in my car. You're going to get people that tell you they're new-fangled junk and to use only Delcos and you're going to get people that tell you they've had good luck with them. I fall into the latter category. I hate the way my car idled with the Delco CR42TS plugs. I tried to like them, I really did, but I got the UR5 Iridiums instead. They're expensive but they work great. I had them in the car for about 2 years (ran the times in my sig @ around 22-23 PSI). This year I decided to take them out just because they were old. They looked fine - like the day I had put them in - but I tossed them anyway. Being a slow learner, I put CR42TS plugs in and hated them (again). I bought the UR5 IX again and they work fine. I've had the boost spike to almost 30 PSI (not for any length of time though) and they keep firing.

YMMV

Jim

I have them in my car. You're going to get people that tell you they're new-fangled junk and to use only Delcos and you're going to get people that tell you they've had good luck with them. I fall into the latter category. I hate the way my car idled with the Delco CR42TS plugs. I tried to like them, I really did, but I got the UR5 Iridiums instead. They're expensive but they work great. I had them in the car for about 2 years (ran the times in my sig @ around 22-23 PSI). This year I decided to take them out just because they were old. They looked fine - like the day I had put them in - but I tossed them anyway. Being a slow learner, I put CR42TS plugs in and hated them (again). I bought the UR5 IX again and they work fine. I've had the boost spike to almost 30 PSI (not for any length of time though) and they keep firing.

YMMV

Jim

Is that the part # UR5 IX?
I would like to try these. Who sells them?

The AC Delco's are a proven thing. Maybe not the best.. but to establish a baseline.. they are proven. Just like the Autolite Racing plugs.

Now can something be better, absolutely. Its great to hear someone stepping outside the box and getting the results. Keep us posted on the progress.

Was thinking about trying these plugs out...the NGK UR 5 IX plugs to be exact, but wanted to see if anyone's had experience with them before buying them...

Thanks, The Darkside

I went to the NGK website and they recommend the UR 4 IX's. What made you go with the 5's? Are they a hotter plug?

If you run high boost, the Iridiums will mis-fire, at least they did when I tried them - twice. :mad:

Will never use a Delco plug again as they have many issues in a race situation, one of which is they will leak at the crimp joint and they do not last as well as NGK or Autolite plugs.

I had misfire also with high boost, gapped to .032 trying to run mid 10s with aluminum heads. Went back to autolight

If some of you are experiencing misfire at high boost it might be something other than the iridium plugs. I've used NGK iridiums at 40psi boost on alcohol with no misfiring at all. Electromotive ignition with a GM style waste spark coil pack, .020" gap.

If you run high boost, the Iridiums will mis-fire, at least they did when I tried them - twice. :mad:

Will never use a Delco plug again as they have many issues in a race situation, one of which is they will leak at the crimp joint and they do not last as well as NGK or Autolite plugs.

Your post is confusing. You say you do not like iridiums or delco's and then you say you only use NGK or Autolite's. Are you using another NGK plug other than the iridiums?:confused:

running the NGK UR5 IX on nothing but c16 30lbs not a single glitch for over 2 years running high 10's..

Isn't the Iridiums the plug that turbo owners where breaking off the tips on and then causing major issues??

I was running the V-Power UR5 plugs and was very happy with them. I even had to tear the motor down due to a cracked #2 piston but the car was still running strong and firing fine before the teardown. They're still available and fairly cheap. I'll be buying another set. :cool:

Never had a problem with the NGK UR5s either. Part # is NGK2771. Have never tried the iridiums.

Your post is confusing. You say you do not like iridiums or delco's and then you say you only use NGK or Autolite's. Are you using another NGK plug other than the iridiums?:confused:

Sorry for any confusion.:)

Based upon many years and many different turbo Buicks, here is what I find from my experience:

The AC Delco plugs are ok in a stock driven TR, but prefer the UR-5 NGK plugs as they last longer. In a race car, boost over 24 psi, have seen many AC plugs "leak" at the ceramic joint. They also have a VERY short track life.

For a race situation, I always use a race plug from Autolite or NGK.

Many years ago tried platinum plugs, and recently tested Iridium supplied by Denso to test in my race car.

Platinum in the street car ran bad after a very short time, and have seen this in many recent cars where the parts counter guys have suggested them. I always remove them, and the car performs better with regular plugs.

The Denso plugs in 2 different heat ranges were tried. Could not make full passes w/o mis-firing. Immediately switched to race plugs, no problem.

My disclaimer is that this is based upon my personal experience, and others may have different results - better or worse.:cool:

I have not used the Irridium on a GN yet.

I used the Delco plugs with good success running 10.92 with only 18psi. In the Hybrid Camaro. That's not enough boost to blow out spark. I try to run lower boost whenever I can.

I do run the Irridium plugs in the wife's Typhoon. They don't have DIS like the buicks and the spark quality sucks. If you've got a regular Delco plug and it's gapped larger than .30 it'll blow out the spark. The Irridium along with a MSD 6AL box took the problem away... Idle was much smoother too.

I would run regular plugs till your AFR's are right and you know your tune is close then switch to the Irridum. I still read plugs and that's just not possible with the Irridium plugs.

I'll bet the story about the Irridium plugs breaking or melting is false because the Irridum has a much higher melting point than any other plug. (at least to my knowledge)

That's my experience...
~Scott

I have found the same thing. The GN's have a much better ignition system than a SyTy. We had major problems with the normal ur or TR NGK plugs. Once we swaped to the IX iriduims all the problems went away. We run a
TR7IX (vortec heads) gapped at .028-0.025 with 28-30psi and meth with no problems.

All the forced induction builds we do now use the iridiums.

Nolan

I have not used the Irridium on a GN yet.

I used the Delco plugs with good success running 10.92 with only 18psi. In the Hybrid Camaro. That's not enough boost to blow out spark. I try to run lower boost whenever I can.

I do run the Irridium plugs in the wife's Typhoon. They don't have DIS like the buicks and the spark quality sucks. If you've got a regular Delco plug and it's gapped larger than .30 it'll blow out the spark. The Irridium along with a MSD 6AL box took the problem away... Idle was much smoother too.

I would run regular plugs till your AFR's are right and you know your tune is close then switch to the Irridum. I still read plugs and that's just not possible with the Irridium plugs.

I'll bet the story about the Irridium plugs breaking or melting is false because the Irridum has a much higher melting point than any other plug. (at least to my knowledge)

That's my experience...
~Scott

YMMV

Jim

You need the Delco R42TS not the Delco CR42TS "C is for commercial". I run the R42TS there great;) .

If some of you are experiencing misfire at high boost it might be something other than the iridium plugs. I've used NGK iridiums at 40psi boost on alcohol with no misfiring at all. Electromotive ignition with a GM style waste spark coil pack, .020" gap.

;) Higher the PSI the closer the gap.