Anyone re-core an intercooer?

Dreamcar86

Just curious to know if anyone has ever re-cored a damaged intercooler. Seems sad to toss a nice intercooler due to damaged tubes. Several people have tried to repair but the welds are leaking and the welder seems to make the holes bigger. The end tanks are still in good condition. If it can be re-cored where would one purchase a new core?

I have had to recore my liquid intercooler once. I used a core from a different manufacturer than what the unit came with.

how bad damage

the tubes are to thin to weld with the temp of machine to weld. they make some stuff called stick tite you could repair with small torch if damage isnt to bad. i work in family owned radiator shop i would say the core would cost way too much to repair with a recore. time said and done you could buy a stretched or front mount for the same cost. post pics of damage i should be able to tel you if you could repair it with stick tite.help if i can mike

the tubes are to thin to weld with the temp of machine to weld. they make some stuff called stick tite you could repair with small torch if damage isnt to bad. i work in family owned radiator shop i would say the core would cost way too much to repair with a recore. time said and done you could buy a stretched or front mount for the same cost. post pics of damage i should be able to tel you if you could repair it with stick tite.help if i can mike

Mike,

Thanks for the input and information. I have just about screwed this thing up at this point. My cousin tried to weld the cracks which only made things worse. Then I tried to repair using Durafix aluminum welding rods with a propane torch that seemed to go nowhere. My last resort was JB Weld and we will see tomorrow if that will work. If I took a picture it would be the ugliest mess you ever saw. Looks like we are getting closer to owning a front mount.:D

Mike,

Thanks for the input and information. I have just about screwed this thing up at this point. My cousin tried to weld the cracks which only made things worse. Then I tried to repair using Durafix aluminum welding rods with a propane torch that seemed to go nowhere. My last resort was JB Weld and we will see tomorrow if that will work. If I took a picture it would be the ugliest mess you ever saw. Looks like we are getting closer to owning a front mount.:D

your welcome, the problem with the torch rods is oil is in the por of the metal that is why we use the stick tite the trick is getting your repair spot very clean next time try heating with propane torch taking a wire brush new brush and cleaning your repair spot. and you would not believe what i have seen people try:eek: eggs, pepper,corn meal,liquid glass all as stop leak the only problem is any thing that will stop a leak more than likley will stop up the tubes in a radiator and the repairs dont get me started if i can help let me know. mike

If you cant find anyone to do it locally for you, we could do it if you send me the core and the tanks. My welding guy can weld two soda cans together.

Mike,

I can vouch for Mike (zues1). He does some pretty nice work on radiators. You should post/send Mike some pic's for him to see if he can fix it, all you would have to do is ship it to him. I'm sure you would recive a very nice job along with it preasure checked and ready to install.

Scot W.