Stupid questions from me about radiators.

Dude, that must hurt like a bitch. Hope it's quickly getting better . That's the kind of pain that won't let you sleep at night!

images

Get yourself one of these cheesy caps. They come in a few different varieties. I have one.

They are kinda gay, and sometimes they leak a drop or 2, so I have had to replace it a few times. But it could save you a bad burn.

That burn was 10+ years ago. It wasn't the cap itself. The cap AND the filler neck came off as a unit. I posted pictures of the 70K mile radiator back in '06 and it was damn near stopped up with corrosion. It still amazed me there's TRs on the road today with the original radiator.

Ar

Are you using the stock ceramic fan motor resistor?

I don't really know to be honest. Fan just has two wires on it now. Had been rigged before.

If you have a pic of what you are talking about, it might help...

But assuming you mean a typical resistor in line, no, not using one.

Oh WOW!

I skimmed through this thread, wrote a quick response earlier, and never even noticed these pictures!

Dude, that must hurt like a bitch. Hope it's quickly getting better . That's the kind of pain that won't let you sleep at night!

images

Get yourself one of these cheesy caps. They come in a few different varieties. I have one.

They are kinda gay, and sometimes they leak a drop or 2, so I have had to replace it a few times. But it could save you a bad burn.

I knew it was hot, wasn't trying to have the cap come off, just it literally blew off on me.

It has healed up. No scarring. Skin has a light sheen to it compared to the other arm, but no one would know. And I have a ton of scars anyway, so wasn't really worried.

I am pretty sure the top support plate had caused the cap to just not seat fully. It wasn't leaking at all till it blew off on me. All I did was touch it.

Ok, so I figured might as well toss the stock fan back in.

Guess what, it is running cool now. Drove around for an hour, never got over 187.

All the dicking around with 2 fans that on paper flow more cfm, and the stock fan that was sitting outside all winter *was already really rough* works like a charm.

I wired it to one of the relays I installed for the 2 crap fans, so it has better power coming through them than the factory harness. It is really cobbled up at the moment because I figured if it didn't work I was going to either swap in an Intrepid fan setup, or swap the radiator.

Now just have to get the ignition to stop stumbling under anything over 14 lbs of boost.
I have found only acdelco module/coil pack works on my car over 14 psi boost. Rockauto has best price.

I have found only acdelco module/coil pack works on my car over 14 psi boost. Rockauto has best price.

Hey Rick, how's it going?

I have 2 Delco packs, one was on the car when I bought it, and one no name...

Problem is I don't know which one is which anymore. When I was trying to first sort out issues I had swapped them, and don't know which is what, other than I can tell what one was on there when I bought it.

I will have to just try swapping and see if any of them make a difference.

What is the limit with a Delco pack, if there is a known boost limit?

I thought about going with the TR6 setup with the 3 coils, but was trying to sort out the cooling issue... And my car has other issues that could use those funds.

Found the Delco coil pack, at least the one that I put in the Delco box... Made in china stamped on the outside Smh.

Underside was not solid potting, had formed rectangles full of potting material.

Raining now, guess I will find out tomorrow if it changed anything.

Its going ok. Probably won't be going to Woodward this year. I can do 24 psi on ac module/coil with alchy. Haven't tried more but I'm sure others have.

I am having more or less the same problem..I recently replaced my AC condensor, (AC finally)
At idle, with AC, hood open, the temp goes up to 175, 180. AC is cold..

But if I close the hood, AC on, temp keeps going up, past 200!

I have alum radiator, SLIC (stock) with Flex-a-lite dual fans..no shroud
The top radiator line is exposed.

I belive that the fans are recirc the air from the sides. I plan to seal both sides of the radiator to prove this.
Also, a fan shroud would help a lot as it makes the air move faster thru the core.

I am having more or less the same problem..I recently replaced my AC condensor, (AC finally)
At idle, with AC, hood open, the temp goes up to 175, 180. AC is cold..

But if I close the hood, AC on, temp keeps going up, past 200!

I have alum radiator, SLIC (stock) with Flex-a-lite dual fans..no shroud
The top radiator line is exposed.

I belive that the fans are recirc the air from the sides. I plan to seal both sides of the radiator to prove this.
Also, a fan shroud would help a lot as it makes the air move faster thru the core.
Pretty sure a shroud might have helped me.

However, the stock fan with shroud doesn't really seal, large gaps both sides, and about 1" away from the back of the radiator.
Just for some reason does a better job. Maybe because it is taller, has less of an area without air being drawn through it.

I have no ac, and a fmic. Fwiw.

The first cooling mod I did to my GN was to install a strip of foam between the radiator and radiator support. The second one was to change the stack order on the fan to put it closer to the radiator. It helped a little with my 20 year old original radiator.....

Now it's just extra help for my perfectly fine plastic Fbody radiator. :)