Anyone Here Ever Quit Smoking?

If you are not serious about quitting you never will quit. It is a mind set that you have to get into. I used to smoke two packs a day. I had a get your head out of your azz moment that helped me. At the end of my shift at work I took my uniform shirt off and threw it in to the clothes hamper. On my way walking over to the time clock I went to grab my last pack of smokes. They were in my uniform pocket. So I proceeded to go head first into the clothes hamper to get my smokes. Then I got thinking about a stupid box of smokes could make me go into a nasty stinking hamper head first. I had been debating quitting for a while, but that is what sent me over the edge. Quitting is all mind over matter, you have to go into wanting to quit. If you are half heartly thinking of quitting you wont.

i started smoking when i was 19--over the years i worked up to being a pretty steady 3-4 pack a day smoker--when i was 48 i wanted to quit so i stopped inhaling--i still had to go through the motions of smoking to be sane---over a period of time i began to lose the need to even suck the smoke into my mouth--in a few months i quit entirely--thats been 14 years now--

Its no wonder its so hard to quit smoking. I remember watching an interview with one of the scientist that worked on manipulating nicotine levels in cigarettes for a major company. He stated that they would test the formulas on rats. The rat would have a choice. He could either push a button for food or push a button for the tested smoke formula. When they eventually got the formula so good that the rat would starve to death they deemed the experiment a great success and this formula is still used in cigarettes today. Its a fact that a nicotine addicted person in need of either, will steal cigarettes before he will steal food. Its just sad when you see young people smoking the damn things knowing they are becoming a willing slave to a tobacco company. Good luck quitting.

I said I'd quit if the Red Sox won the world Series. When they were down 3 zip I figured i'd be smoking until i croaked. But:eek: I actually waited till opening day this year at Fenway when they got their rings and the world series banner. Been about 9-10 weeks now and i'm doing ok with it. I found the nicotine gum helpfull and I never got too stressed out. If i started to feel week I'd think how my Dad didn't qite live long enough to see it happen but I did. I think some strong link to something else meaningful in life helps to keep you from failing. I smoked about a pack a day for 35 yrs. Now that they won I can die peacefully:confused: So I guess dying wasn't necessarily my motivation. Good luck. You can do it. And if you slip up just quit right away again and don't beat yourself up about it. It doesn't mean you failed!