Car Smoking

Charles Young

C Young
Ever since I made a few passes at the TB.com nationals the car has been smoking some. I can see it at idle, especially when I rev it up a little but cannot really tell if it smokes at cruising speed. I'm sorry but I cannot tell what color the smoke is. I'm thinking I hurt something so I looked at the turbo to see if I could see oil blowing by seals but all looked normal. Did a compression check and all cylinders were between 120 and 130 psi; no obvious problem there, right?

Decided to go for a little drive and noticed O2's weren't changing much then saw O2 cross counts stopped at 147; not changing. Aha, so I'm thinking bad O2 sensor. I have narrow band factory style. That could cause some smoking issue I think. Bought a new Denso sensor and installed it. Fired it up. CC's jumping around like it used to, don't see any smoke.... yeah! Then CC's stopped again. Still seeing a bit of smoke.
Questions:
  • Could a bad O2 sensor cause the smoking issue I described?
  • After warm up, aren't O2 cross count numbers supposed to constantly change pretty quickly when the car is idling?
  • What are the odds of both old and new sensors being bad?
Thanks,
Charles

Your chip may be set up for open loop idle. If so x-counts will slow and usually stop when at idle.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Your chip may be set up for open loop idle. If so x-counts will slow and usually stop when at idle.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Took the words out of my mouth. It should not smoke in open loop though. Possible causes, turbo oil seal, tired rings, valve seals, excessive valve guide clearence, leaky injectors just to start. Feel free to call me if i can help, I'll be at RC's this Wed-Friday if you want me to put my eyes on it.

Thanks Steve. It would be 5 or 5:30 before I could get out there in the evening. What is your schedule out there? I may try to ride out this afternoon and see if anybody is around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think 120-130 compression will be a little low but not sure on that ? did u do a compression check when it was hot?
How does ur spark plugs look? Does the oil have a fuel smell to it?

I would think 120-130 compression will be a little low but not sure on that ? did u do a compression check when it was hot?
How does ur spark plugs look? Does the oil have a fuel smell to it?
  • Car was cold when I did the check.
  • Plugs looked OK to me but I'm no expert.:(
  • As for the oil smell, at first I thought it was normal but after you mentioned it I went back and it may have a little gassy smell. Maybe just my imagination but now I'm concerned about it. Maybe I just pull the injectors and have them tested. What do you think?

Thanks Steve. It would be 5 or 5:30 before I could get out there in the evening. What is your schedule out there? I may try to ride out this afternoon and see if anybody is around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be there all day and into the evenings Wed and Thrusday, Friday leaving about 5 to come back to Va.

• Car was cold when I did the check.
  • Plugs looked OK to me but I'm no expert.:(
  • As for the oil smell, at first I thought it was normal but after you mentioned it I went back and it may have a little gassy smell. Maybe just my imagination but now I'm concerned about it. Maybe I just pull the injectors and have them tested. What do you think?
Yes bring them we flow them and clean if needed.