Anyone had Ebay HID kits?

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
I have bought many hid kits from ebay and had them on my other cars. Never got one for a Turbo Buick. Anyone have a 4 housing kit?

Have a set in my Subaru Legacy and I love the HID lights but the system sucks. Most of the time the headlights won't come on without me having to turn them off then back on.

Had them in 2 of my focus daily drivers. They are now gone. Have my Santa fe. Have been running it for about 2 years. The drivers side does the same thing. Thought the bulb was burnt out. But pretty sure its the ballast. When I first started putting HID kits in my cars the Ballasts were huge....now they are about half the size. I'm sure there are good and bad quality ballasts. But they are cheap. But all these have been bulb kits in newer cars. Now have to worry about old style wiring and new housings. I have seen the Kirban kits. But they say "not for HID". Not sure if I wanna spend that much money to have an ordinary light bulb......yes it would be an improvement over what I have now.......but would like to have some HIDs. Looking for someone who has put them on there TB.

Check out ALRADCO's HID kits , they have the housings for TB's too. There is a good thread on here about them, maybe someone can find it.

Anyone have pics of them installed on the car? Most site really lack pictures of the housings except ebay. Kinda like that black housing.......but they look roundish on the edges. Looked a vvme but did not see any housings offered. Would love to see any pics of different brands of housings installed. Have a bunch of extra bulbs and ballasts from other cars. Do I need an adapter from the stock wiring to a generic HID kit?

x3 on Alradco kit
You might call Peter, he may sell components like the housings & be able to advise regarding compatibility, since you have some of the parts already,
I put 'em in my G/N, pretty easy install, kit is complete w/ wiring, ballasts, bulbs, rectangular housings, etc.
I also installed the hi-beam kit as well, but have NEVER needed them :cool:
(if you do both , you'll need to rig a little relay if you want all 4 to light-up on "Hi", but there's a post w/ schematics)
If you want tinted lights, I've heard some are putting window film on lenses...

D o_O

I have had HID kits in all my cars since 2000 and 90% of them have been from eBay. Any HID kit can have issues no matter what manufacturer it is or from who you buy it from. The number 1 culprit is the installer failing to put a relay on line for them. The ballasts are very sensitive to voltage and if it has variations in voltage or not enough voltage, the ballast WILL eventually fail. That is why you get flickering, one light wont turn on, you have to turn them on and off to get them to work, and finally a failed ballast or bulb. Since 2001 I have easily had 30 sets of HIDs and multiple failures, I learned the hard way buying new kits all the time until I figured out that they needed to be installed with a decent relay. Im not saying you wont have issues with a relay because most of these manufacturers have poor quality control. As long as you buy from a source that is willing to work with you if you have an early failure. Newer cars will also need a capacitor along with a relay kit because the computer will think that your bulb is out and light up a fault.

Now for the light housings (plenty of these under my belt too having owned 10 G-body cars). These also can be tricky because they tend to not seal right and you get moisture in the enclosure if not sealed correctly. As far as I know there are a few types of enclosure i.e.. projector type, non-projector, plastic lens, glass lens, H4 bulb, and 9006/9007 bulb. Glass is what you want because the plastic will fade and turn yellow, personally I prefer the look of the non-projector, and finally the ones that seal the best are the 9006/9007 bulb type housings. So if you find housing that are glass and 9006/9007 type bulbs you wont have to worry about fading issues or moisture if sealed properly.

Just installed Kirban's plug and lay kit. Love it. Attention to details with this kit was well thought out, the 100 amp relays, ceramic female connectors, 4- 60 watt or opt for 100 watt lamps simply the best. The size wires, the length of the wires. Pure perfection.

No matter where you buy your kit (locally, Ebay, CraigsList, supporting vendor, non supporting vendor, etc) they all come from China.

Buy the one with best review/price combo.

I had an ebay kit on my F-150 and Alradco on my GN. Both work well. I get some flickering on my truck from time to time, but overall good. I had to add a hotwire kit to my GN as the lights would flicker really bad and not come on. Once I added the relay kit it was fine.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Getdowngranny, good advice. Most of my cars have H4 bulbs and the retaining clip is a stupid design. Guess thats one more thing to think about.
Jim0207, Looked at the Kirban system but they say "not for HID".
If I get just the low beam Alradco, does the housing match stock sealed beam housings?