Another shift question !!

Murdock

Okay, I bought this trans off a board member, don't recall who now as its been awhile. Anyway he stated its to be used with a non lock up converter. The converter was included in the sale. Anyway this is what happens and I wondering if this is a characteristic of a non lock up tranny or not. While driving, the car shifts as normal 1st, 2nd then to 3rd... My shifter is in OD, when I shift down to third nothing happens, when I shift back to OD, all stays the same until I let off throttle...it then drops in RPMs while in OD until I apply throttle again as if I put it in neutral. When I do this after shifting into 3rd it stays in third and coasts in gear with rpms lowering with speed versus the aforementioned dropping in rpms and coasting as if in neutral...hopefully I'm explaining this so that it makes sense. Anyway this is the first trans I have had that is a non lock up. Not sure if this is normal or not.

if i understand correctly it sounds like:
with the shifter in OD it makes the 1-2-3 normally then you downshift to third, the trans wasnt in 4th yet to have to downshift.

as for the other part,
when the shifter is in OD and you let off the gas, the trans will shift into OD as its "coasting"
when your in manual 3 (D) the trans will remain in 3 (sort of engine braking) untill the rpms get low enough to then shift into second

if i understand correctly it sounds like:
with the shifter in OD it makes the 1-2-3 normally then you downshift to third, the trans wasnt in 4th yet to have to downshift.

as for the other part,
when the shifter is in OD and you let off the gas, the trans will shift into OD as its "coasting"
when your in manual 3 (D) the trans will remain in 3 (sort of engine braking) untill the rpms get low enough to then shift into second

yes, thats pretty much it... :smile:

I'm not a tranny guy but it sounds like it's out of adjustment somewhere. Have you adjusted the TV cable on it?

I'm not a tranny guy but it sounds like it's out of adjustment somewhere. Have you adjusted the TV cable on it?

I tried that, well actually I let it out then went full throttle so it self adjust, is there another way??

It almost sounds as if you are describing the way the trans "coasts" when in 3rd or 4th gear AND off the throttle/gear selector in "OD" vs. when the gear selector is in "D" the trans will provide engine braking in 3rd gear when off the throttle. This is by design. Even if you had a lockup converter it would still "coast" with the selector in "OD" if the trans was in either 3rd or 4th gear as the TPS unlocks the converter when you let off the throttle.

ok, this was my first non lock up trans, so Im not to familiar with it. I did the install myself and just making sure I didnt mess anything up or left anything out. So if your running a non lock up trans, you dont have an overdrive? Am i understanding that correctly? Please excuse my ignorance, Im still trying to learn this stuff and theres alot to learn...lol If so then hell, I got the wrong trans, as its more a street car then a strip car. I can have this swapped back to a lock up correct!!

You should still have OD (4th) unless something else is amiss. Lockup is a clutch in the torque converter and is independent of OD.

Kinda confusing the way its written but I think im getting that you dont experience engine braking in 4th like 3rd.

OD/4 doesnt have engine braking due to the sprag.

i tried that, well actually i let it out then went full throttle so it self adjust, is there another way??
nope ... You push the tab in & shove the cable all the way in toward the firewall& let the tab go ..then push gas pedal to the floor .. If you let it all the way out you are not building enough line pressure to shift properly.. This is my guess .. If this is your problem you might have hurt the trans already ..

yes,I did as you put it OIL MAN,... its an after market cable, i wonder if i have to much slack in it as it didnt move when I hit the gas pedal...it does have a firmer shift. I must not be goin into 4th either as Im on the freeway at 80 and in the upper 4500 rpm range...Ill take the car out in a bit and see if I feel all the shift points to 4th gear.

yes,i did as you put it oil man,... Its an after market cable, i wonder if i have to much slack in it as it didnt move when i hit the gas pedal...it does have a firmer shift. I must not be goin into 4th either as im on the freeway at 80 and in the upper 4500 rpm range...ill take the car out in a bit and see if i feel all the shift points to 4th gear.
sounds like you might have bought a bad trans to begin with .. Good luck .. I hope it all comes together for you ..