And boom goes the dynamite. 2nd motor down

None of my alky chips have a fuel cut limiter. If it was a street chip, then it's still in there.

Eric

Also you turned the alky down and did not add the required fuel to displace it.
How much alky was left in the tank? Also how much fuel did you have in it?

Alky was full full. Gas was 1/2-3/4

That is good to know.

Posy up a close pic of the head gasket, I want to see it.
Does it appear the gasket was about to blow or blown?
I am curious if hte piston was machined out and was real thin in the
center.
We have all melted motors making way more power and i still have never seen one burn a hole in it before it torched hte block/head or the side of a piston.
Was really surprised to see a hole like that.

Can't post pix from my phone. I'll send them to your phone

Got em, it was definetly lifting, i still cant believe the piston had a hole before it burnt the gasket.

How does number 3 look? does the piston show any signs of detonation?

None of my alky chips have a fuel cut limiter. If it was a street chip, then it's still in there.

Eric

Eric,

I could swear my old 5.4 Alky chip would stutter at 6200. haven't had a chance to "test" the new chip yet. So, I don't have any rev limiter at all?

Eric,

I could swear my old 5.4 Alky chip would stutter at 6200. haven't had a chance to "test" the new chip yet. So, I don't have any rev limiter at all?

The old 5.4's were set to 6375. For 5.5 and newer, there is no limiter on alky chips.
Regards,
Eric

Here's what happened.................

You hit the rev limiter with alcohol. NEVER use a rev limiter in a chip if you use alcohol. EVER!!!! The ECM rev limiter shuts the fuel off, but not the alcohol. So at rev limit, the alcohol is the only fuel entering the engine and it WILL melt alot of parts. Have your chip burned with no rev limiter function or you will melt your engine down again. With a forged rotating assembly you can twist it to 7500 no problem so no need for a rev limiter at all. Use a Bob Bailey two step for your rev limiter function, as it shuts the spark off, not the fuel. Bailey Engineering 2-Step Support Page His box would have saved your engine. Best next buy for you.:smile:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Been there done that with many engines over the last few years. Just lost a StageII 274" engine due to fueling issues with a hose popping off inside the tank. 10.03 @ 134 with only 50 psi fuel pressure is a problem. :eek: I'll post in another thread what happened.

I've seen a broken block due to rev limiter and alcohol before. If you only burned a piston consider yourself lucky.
Good to know!

Burning a hole in a piston is a SURE sign of pre-ignition, not detonation, though the two end up hand in hand. As Chuck asked, what do the underside of the pistons look like. Is there any bluing? If there is bluing, then it was making power. Too much bluing and it's gonna drop out.;) What is the piston crown thickness? I have seen alot of "turbo" pistons that had too much crown thickness machined out for compression reduction, AND the use of a Chevy forging as a blank will usually result in thin spots due to wrong valve relief placement. Post a picture or two of the underside of the piston and the other ones. What does the upper rod bearing shell look like on the noted cylinder?

Burning a hole in a piston is a SURE sign of pre-ignition, not detonation, though the two end up hand in hand. As Chuck asked, what do the underside of the pistons look like. Is there any bluing? If there is bluing, then it was making power. Too much bluing and it's gonna drop out.;) What is the piston crown thickness? I have seen alot of "turbo" pistons that had too much crown thickness machined out for compression reduction, AND the use of a Chevy forging as a blank will usually result in thin spots due to wrong valve relief placement. Post a picture or two of the underside of the piston and their other ones. What does the upper rod bearing shell look like on the noted cylinder?
It shows signs of detonation/preignition

Hopefully its been long enough you can laugh about it.

[video=youtube;W45DRy7M1no]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no[/video]