Tear Down the 109, Questions Advise

54Rich

Hi Everyone, since I'm not going anywhere for awhile, though I'd tear down the motor that came with my WE4 I purchased in September. I received the car (former drag car) with the engine installed, heads bolted down, front cover on and just about everything else in the trunk I opened it up today. First the crankcase was filled with this brown goop, just nasty and filled, must have been 10 quarts in there (or as much as you can fit without is spilling)! #1 looks to be a replacement somehow it's doesn't look like it ever ran in this motor. The bore is .060 over (Is that as big as you can go?), but I do have some slight ridges in 1,3,5. I can feel it with a fingernail, but it dose not catch. The cam lobes for #6 are wiped and the lifters surface is concave, rest look fine. Timing chain, tensioner, cam button look new. The bearings show ware, but nothing tore up or gorged. Rings look new. This will be a street car, wondering what to do with this block? Put new bearings, new cam, new lifters, valve springs in? Can I reuse the head gaskets if they have never been fired? APR head bolts/rod bolts. Heads look to be in good condition, couple of the nylon buttons are broken. Put it back together or search for another block? Thanks in advance, Rich

Attachments

• Crank (2).JPG
    Crank (2).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Crank (3).JPG
    Crank (3).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Crank.JPG
    Crank.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Cyc Bore.JPG
    Cyc Bore.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Head Gaskets.JPG
    Head Gaskets.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 246
  • Marks in 1 3 5.JPG
    Marks in 1 3 5.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 248
  • Piston .JPG
    Piston .JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 245
  • Rod.JPG
    Rod.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Sluge.JPG
    Sluge.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 239
  • Timing Chain.JPG
    Timing Chain.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 233
.060 over. You'll need to find a used block as close to standard bore as possible. You'll then need pistons to match the bore you go too.

Looks like a mass rebuilder mess. .060 looks like wrong crank as well. Time to find another and start over.

^^^ What the other guys have said.
This engine is pretty much scrap.
Possibly salvage the heads, some outside accessories, etc. The rest is toast.:cry:
Rods ??
Given the shape the engine is in, I'm betting the trans & diff are in need of some TLC, too.

Thanks, Steve you mentioned the wrong crank? How can I determine if I can use this and the rods? Would like to use some of this heap if possible.

I think it all depends on the goal. If the goal is driving around at VERY low boost, it would probably work. OP, what is the goal?

Thanks everyone, I just placed a Engine Wanted ad :) . How hard is it to find a good block? Anyone leads? I’m up in the Twin Cities.

I think it all depends on the goal. If the goal is driving around at VERY low boost, it would probably work. OP, what is the goal?
Maybe not even that. Just because it will cost the same. Might as well get something you can trust to go further. I think for a few hundred more, go for the block.

Maybe not even that. Just because it will cost the same. Might as well get something you can trust to go further. I think for a few hundred more, go for the block.
Story of my life with cars, just a few hundred more :). Although my car collection is holding up a lot better than my 401k. I won’t 1/2 ass anything. Even with this setback I’m still ahead with this car. Why I buy projects, I’ll never know and my wife will never understand

Thanks, Steve you mentioned the wrong crank? How can I determine if I can use this and the rods? Would like to use some of this heap if possible.
Look at the fillets on the rods, are they the same as rods? If not then it's an NA crank.

Story of my life with cars, just a few hundred more :). Although my car collection is holding up a lot better than my 401k. I won’t 1/2 ass anything. Even with this setback I’m still ahead with this car. Why I buy projects, I’ll never know and my wife will never understand

There are several builders out there that are hungry for work. Especially now. There are also several complete engines out there for sale. None of the knowledgeable guys will "give" it away, but a good deal CAN be found. Take your time and find the one builder or pre-built engine that's right for you.

Best of luck to you!