aluminum heads? what is needed?

sick GN

Blew a head gasket last night... have a set of gn1 aluminum heads in the garage so I figure now is the time to put them on... what is needed for the install? I heard you need to use washers for the head bolts but I really don't know... which head gasket? It's a stock long block, never rebuilt and what I was reading was that I should stick with the graphite gaskets... just wondering what if anything special has to be done for the install...

Thanks

A good set of rocker arms and having the threads for the rocker retention to the correct depth and properly thread inserted will help with reliability. Studs should be used wherever possible including the rocker retention

Inspect the CRAP out of every nook and cranny on these heads before you start putting them on. Stuff like every threaded hole, gasket flanges, look for cracks, any valve that have sunk below the rest of them etc....

It's a million times better than finding out you have to break out a tap after they're bolted down over an open engine.

Unless, of course, the heads are new.... In which case, everything I typed above is still true. :D

A good set of rocker arms and having the threads for the rocker retention to the correct depth and properly thread inserted will help with reliability. Studs should be used wherever possible including the rocker retention

Thanks again for that one Bison!

Push rods need to be changed! Stockers don't work, too short. I used 9441pt head gaskets. I also put studs in for the exhaust manifolds. Might as well do head studs while you're at it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app