Alky Question??

Sydwyndr

Admin
Staff member
Anyone ever tried to spray alky right after the turbo outlet to flow through the intercooler?? Just wondering if it would assist in total cooling better than spraying at the TB.

Just wondering

Not real sure other than seems like it would possibly assist with cooling as it went though the I/C. I was just wondering if the temperature of the air coming into the TB would be cooler if sprayed at turbo outlet instead of at the TB. Plus it seems that the Alky would be better atomized if sprayed further away. You follow me??

Observation...my guess is that most (or all) the "cooling effect" would be lost in the IC, long before arriving at the TB/combustion chamber. :(

19gn87 said:
Observation...my guess is that most (or all) the "cooling effect" would be lost in the IC, long before arriving at the TB/combustion chamber. :(

So are you saying that the IC would actually heat the air back up?? Seems to me that the air entering the IC would be cooler than without spray therefore making the air coming from the IC cooler than normal. I dont know, maybe a dual nozzle set-up, 1 at the turbo and 1 at the TB. Just a thought :cool:

You can spray it on top of your turbo and maybe it will help burn off some of that ugly blue paint. ;) Maybe a third nozzle also in the tail pipe that way you could burn her from both ends. :cool:

Not sure it's a good idea to have all that hit the impeller...doing it afterward would reduce and chance of "self-destructing" one's impeller. My nickel on the idea...as always, someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Robbie-87plz said:
Not sure it's a good idea to have all that hit the impeller...doing it afterward would reduce and chance of "self-destructing" one's impeller. My nickel on the idea...as always, someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

No, not into the inlet of the turbo, at the outlet going to the I/C

I think I remember someone saying that after the intercooler is the best place.
This is just numbers with no actual facts behind it, but for this example use an 80 degree day with a 110 degree intake temp and the intercooler is able to remove up to 150deg of heat from the air charge and the alky can remove up to 100 degrees.

With the alky after the intercooler, the turbo heats the air to 300 degrees and the intercooler removes 150 deg making the air temp after the intercooler would 150 degrees. The alky could then remove up to 100 degrees. which would take you below the 80 Degree outside temp.

if you had the alky before the intercooler, the 300 degree air would be cooled to 200 degrees by the alky, and then the intercooler could take no more than 120 degrees out because the intercooler can't cool below the outside temperature.

Also the intercooler will cool 300 degree air better than it will cool 150degree simply because the 80 outside air can absorb more heat because of the larger temperature difference.

HTH
David

DavzGN said:
I think I remember someone saying that after the intercooler is the best place.
This is just numbers with no actual facts behind it, but for this example use an 80 degree day with a 110 degree intake temp and the intercooler is able to remove up to 150deg of heat from the air charge and the alky can remove up to 100 degrees.

With the alky after the intercooler, the turbo heats the air to 300 degrees and the intercooler removes 150 deg making the air temp after the intercooler would 150 degrees. The alky could then remove up to 100 degrees. which would take you below the 80 Degree outside temp.

if you had the alky before the intercooler, the 300 degree air would be cooled to 200 degrees by the alky, and then the intercooler could take no more than 120 degrees out because the intercooler can't cool below the outside temperature.

Also the intercooler will cool 300 degree air better than it will cool 150 degree simply because the 80 outside air can absorb more heat because of the larger temperature difference.

HTH
David

Kewl :D . I got you, Still seems it would enter the TB at a cooler temp tho. would like to see a real world test to compare the temps. The cooler the better. DavzGn, would you say better atomization further away would equal better effect?? Also would have a chance to cool the air down further. You agree?? Also you would think that the mixture coming in contact with the surface in the IC would have an even better cooling effect than the IC alone.

Two points being missed are puddling and time. The further from the TB the nozzle is placed, the longer the time for the alky to reach the motor. And when dealing in going from 0-30 PSI.. once the clock at 16 PSI starts ticking.. you better have alky in the motor.

I dont discount running a second nozzle one main one in the regular location that works for everyone before throttle body, and maybe a small nozzle pre-IC and see what happens.

And no lube in the IC.. thats really a bad thing. The lube is for the SMC pump so it doesnt have issues. Has nothing to do with aluminum rotting. Again an IC full of alky=bad things can happen.

One example is on a turbo diesel.. run the nozzle pre-IC that way your assured the alky is fully atomized before it enters the engine. Especially when it gets to ZERO degree's outside in the winter.

HTH

Atomization is what nozzles do. Vaporization is what injecting earlier will accomplish.

19gn87 has it right.

There is significant benefit to having water/alcohol enter the combustion chamber while it is still in un-vaporized droplet form. Good atomization ensures a homogeneous air-fuel-water-alky mixture across all cylinders, and within the cylinder. And, you want most of those droplets to reach the chamber so they vaporize as combustion happens, helping control CC temperature..

True, an air/fuel mixture that has already been cooled by heat-transfer and vaporization is helpful, but the rubber hits the road once the valves are closed and the cylinder starts its compression stroke.