Ali vs Holmes 1980

deezdad

Anybody watch this fight live? I was 6 and remember watching on either star case or preview (I don't think it was on TV?) can't remember which, I wanted so badly for Ali to win probly for no other reason other than I liked his name. Only couple memories I have of watching was when they put up the numbers how cool it was that Ali had like 56 wins and Holmes was undefeated so something had to give, the other was remembering Ali falling back into the ropes constantly and wishing he would get mad and go nuts on Holmes, never happened. Didn't realize it at the time but after reading up on it they trotted him out there for the payday which in 2016 dollars was 23 million, he performed poorly on his physical showed early signs of Parkinson's and they still let him fight! Amazingly he fought again for the last time in a loss to Trevor Burbick, rip.

Anybody watch this fight live? I was 6 and remember watching on either star case or preview (I don't think it was on TV?) can't remember which, I wanted so badly for Ali to win probly for no other reason other than I liked his name. Only couple memories I have of watching was when they put up the numbers how cool it was that Ali had like 56 wins and Holmes was undefeated so something had to give, the other was remembering Ali falling back into the ropes constantly and wishing he would get mad and go nuts on Holmes, never happened. Didn't realize it at the time but after reading up on it they trotted him out there for the payday which in 2016 dollars was 23 million, he performed poorly on his physical showed early signs of Parkinson's and they still let him fight! Amazingly he fought again for the last time in a loss to Trevor Burbick, rip.

I was 7 when this fight took place. Wasn't a fan of boxing until 1985, the first fight I watched was Hagler Hearns - April 15 1985, best fight I have ever seen. Then started following Holmes, Camacho, Rosario, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr and of course a young phenom in Mike Tyson. It wasn't until the late 80's that I started looking back at Ali's career and I know all about it. The Holmes and Berbick fight. Berbick passed away in 2007 and will forever be linked to end of one era, Ali, and the beginning of another, losing his title to a 20 year Tyson.

Ali is the world's most recognizable sporting figure. I won't repeat everything that has been said about the man, but had he not been a great fighter there is no way he would have a political figure he was. The only thing about Ali that bothered me was how he treated and talked to Joe Frazier. Frazier supported Ali when he was exiled from boxing and even went to congress on Ali's behalf to get his boxing licenses back. Then for Ali to turn on Frazier the way he did was unforgivable, but Frazier made him pay for it in the first fight and the third fight nearly killed both men.

RIP Champ.

I was 12 when the Ali - Holmes fight took place. I remember watching it with my father who was an Ali fan. I really wanted Ali to win. It wasn't until today when I saw a special about how close Ali and Holmes were. Holmes talked about his respect for Ali and how Ali paid to take him all over the world to places Holmes never would have had a chance to see otherwise. Watching some clips of the fight now as I did today, I wonder if Ali's heart was really into beating his friend back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I was 12 when the Ali - Holmes fight took place. I remember watching it with my father who was an Ali fan. I really wanted Ali to win. It wasn't until today when I saw a special about how close Ali and Holmes were. Holmes talked about his respect for Ali and how Ali paid to take him all over the world to places Holmes never would have had a chance to see otherwise. Watching some clips of the fight now as I did today, I wonder if Ali's heart was really into beating his friend back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Whether is heart was in it or not, Ali couldn't have beaten a prime hungry Holmes who was on a crusade for respect. When Holmes beat Cooney he thought he had conquered his final hurtle to greatness. But for much of the US the wrong guy won the fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is one thing I love more than TRs it's boxing. That's where my handle comes from.
Motor City Hitman 86 Grand National.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ!

The first 4 minutes looked like an awful comedy show.

That was sad.

They should be ashamed of them selves putting him in the ring in that condition.

He almost looked drunk.

D

I livenear easton pa but i watched the fight when lived in fla. everybody was betting on ali, i cleaned up huge. Really not much of a fight, holmes in control from the beginning till the end. Glad Dundee stopped it,ali was getting the snot beat out of him. Holmes also glad he stopped it, really didnt want to hurt him any worse.