Spoolfool GN vs Gary Wells, Hennessey 700 Cad-V

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
Well, it was bound to happen...
Gary and I cruse some of the same streets on the weekends. On this sunny, So Cal Saturday, Gary and I were at the same car show (Donut Derelicts) in Huntington Beach. He had brought his Highly modded CTS-V.

The thing looked and sounded like it was very pissed off. Honestly, I think it's just a bit louder than my Buick. For those that don't know, Gary and I have been friends for years. I do a bit of tuning on his Buick. On occasion, we let each other drive the other's car. We each came to the same conclusion that it would be anyone's race between his Cad-V and My GN.

Here's my GN.

The cars were parked at the show across from each other. I'm not sure which one drew a bigger crowd.

Gary's engine is a engineering marvel to behold. After turning his car loose at Hennessey to have them do their 700 HP package to it (700 HP at the "crank"), Gary felt that 700+ HP at the "wheels" was what the car deserved and was modded to lay down. As proof by the dyno sheet proudly displayed at the show. I was not sure what tune he had on it on this day.

My faithful Turbo Lou/ Mutton Motor Has pulled my 87 GN to many ten second passes and has laid down over 500 HP to the wheels on only 22 lbs boost. On this day, I was running 23 lbs.

I'm not sure if Gary has lost any races since his last mods. I have only had one street loss (car) in the twelve years I've had my Buick. I'm still a bit butt hurt over it. It was to a Lamborghini Murcielago about seven years ago. Here's the thread if anyone's interested. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/just-ran-a-lambo-murcielago.227115/

Back to the show.
The show was winding up and Gary and I pulled out at the same time. He was behind me. We cruised for a few miles before turning North on the Highway that headed in the direction of our houses. It was a three lane road that was wide open. I turned right into the middle lane. I think that Gary pulled in behind me or the lane to my right. I slowly rolled into the gas until about 50 mph where the car down shifted and started to haze the 275/60/15 MT drag radials. I could feel the back end going slightly to the left as It must have been going through 60 mph. Soon after doing a quick peddle job, it hooked nicely as I ran the car up to about 90 mph and clicked it off , while slowing for the up coming red light. Gary, who never even got on it, came up along side me and said "Damn! that thing is fast. I don't think I'd want to race it". We were now rolling up to a fresh red light. I took the left lane. Gary took the right. There was a cute blond girl in between the two of us. I looked over to see if Gary was interested in a run. The chick thought I was checking her out and was all smiley.

Green light.
I really wasn't expecting to race that Cad. I know that he's got me covered by about two hundred horses under the hood. However, My black brick is about 800 lbs lighter than his tank. As the light turned green, I quickly rolled from the light without going into boost, just to see what he was going to do. He did the same and was in my blind spot. His front tire was about even with my back bumper. We each slowly accelerated as we cleared the intersection. We had 1/2 mile of open road ahead of us as we both went to WOT. I was again, hazing the Micky-Ts and trying to do a quick peddle job as I glanced to see the Cad still glued to my right side. Just as my tires hooked, my car started pulling like a freight train. I remember looking in the rear view mirror and hoping to see Gary falling back. Crap! He wasn't there. About this time I was expecting to see him making a run past me and thinking to myself, "Dang it! Why couldn't Gary have drove his twelve second Turbo Buick to the show today:eek::D". We ran them out to a buck ten or so and clicked em off at the same time. The Hennessey Cad was in exactly the same spot as when we both rolled into the gas.

I don't count this as a kill, as it wasn't an even start. If you ask me who's car is faster. I honestly couldn't tell you. They were dead nuts even. I think if we went from a dig, my car would have had a bit of a advantage. However, I'm not sure Gary was showing all his cards or how aggressive of a tune he was running on this day.

It was a great day, and a run to remember. Thanks Gary.:)
Happy spooling.

Mike B.

Last edited:
Hey Mike , if you went and made a jump afterwards I would call it a win !!!!! LOL
Both cars a extremely nice !

Bryan

What great cars! I've seen the GN and Gary's White T Type in person. Both exceptional cars... I've never seen the Caddy but, it sure is impressive. Nevertheless, I think it speaks volumes that a 25+year old Buick can still hang with some of the finest modern technology out there. I wonder what the Caddy would do at the track?

I really miss warm sunny days in February! :cry:

I've been told it should be in the 10's, (with slicks & a good shoe).
Probably low 11's with a good shoe & without slicks .
Probably mid 20's with a clubfoot like me shoeing it, slicks or no slicks
The only thing my "09 CTS-V needs is a driver with balls.
& no, you can't test it.

That's a cool story. Sounds like a great afternoon.

Hey Gary,
My GN has run 10.55 at 126, on less boost than this race. I was throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it. The only thing that Caddie needs to be a solid ten second car is 1320 feet of concrete.:D

Mike B.

Mike, sounds like both cars are equal in perf. I have a lot of respect for any car that can hang with your G.N. Garys car must be a rocket. Might have to build a strocker motor & teach that old man a lesson.

Nice story!
I would have loved to have seen that run...or been part of it.:D
Agreed!...Gary's V = Animal.

That said...I would be remiss if I did not get this off my breasts (...yes I said breasts....I'm a chicken:chicken:....stop yer giggling....).

Gary...wanna race?

Chicken breast is my fav.
Well, not yet.
I will have to "chicken out"
for the present time.
I'm not done with the car yet,
and I damn sure not going to slow it down.
There will be a time, I'm sure.

Sounds like fun, you both have some very nice rides. Those Caddys are bad ass. Of course the GN is. Do you have Budnik wheels on your GN? I think I saw your car on their web site. I've got their wheels on mine also.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mike, sounds like both cars are equal in perf. I have a lot of respect for any car that can hang with your G.N. Garys car must be a rocket. Might have to build a strocker motor & teach that old man a lesson.

Many thanks for the props, Lou.
If this motor goes and I have any money left, my next motor will be a forged 418 or 427 stroker.

great read. video or it didn't happen :D love the hennessey on the strut bar. nice touch.. ctsv would be the next car after a gn. keep 4 wheels on the road and the red and blues outta ya rear view

Gary, are you running meth injection or just straight pump gas?

Cal:
AlkyControl meth kit & 91.
658 RWHP.
This Cad needs some cheater slicks, a few more ponies, & a driver with bigger nutz.

Cal: You replaced yours yet?

great read. video or it didn't happen :D love the hennessey on the strut bar. nice touch.. ctsv would be the next car after a gn. keep 4 wheels on the road and the red and blues outta ya rear view

I've got something better than a video for proof:
Some stained & stinking soiled shorts.