alcohol injecton...which one works best?

I got my SMC kit used. Its an old round bottle type. It's allowed me to run 20psi at 27 degrees timing on 91 pump, with zero knock retard. This is just with regular isopropyl alky and a little pump lube. I havent even tried to bump it up higher yet. I have to install my 340 fuel pump and fix a few things first. Given that its used, someone may have changed the wiring, but the wiring I have totally sucks IMO. They've used some cheap 4 or 5 core shielded wire thats not meant for a life in such a blazing hot environment. Its got melt marks all over it, and its not long enough to tuck it away cleanly. I also hate the bundle of wires that drape down underneath the controller. Its a real eyesore. One of these days I'll totally redo the wiring with some nice high flex (high strand number) wire, and try to make it look OEM. Another thing I dont like, is that with the way the nozzle connects to the up-pipe, it leaks no matter how tight it is. Its not a great design. I've tried to seal it up with all sorts of goop, but it never works. Every time I hit that button, I smell alky cause its being sprayed all over my engine. :mad:

Call steve up....i eventually bought a new pump that has more pressure....two nozzle setup with pressure gauge so basically updated my old kit. I paid 50 bux for the old bottle pump and controller so this was feasible for me to do :)
I dont see Razor being a prick and talking down the SMC kit, he seems to let his kit and customers do the talking and that is a GOOD sign that he is putting out a quality kit.

Gn-ing said:
what about the economics of the kit...500 for the kit...$2 a gallon or more for methonal,and $2.40 a gal for 93 octaine....seems like 110 just might be about the same,if you use the car occasionally...

And not to mention that race gas is being wasted just idling at a red-light...your only using the alky when into boost... I've not even used 5 gallons since installing the Razor kit back in Feb, and I've been to the track 4 or 5 times and 1,000 miles on the street.

FYI, no matter what kit you get, make sure the pump is compatible to use Methanol if that's what you want to use...its much nore effective at cooling than other mixtures and not all the kits pumps can use Methanol as its very corrosive in liquid form.

To be fair, I did contact Steve ( I think thats his name) from SMC, and asked for install directions. I asked him how long he thought it may last, given the pump looked a little corroded, as well as other parts looking pretty beat up. The guy I bought the kit from said it was "like new", LMAO.
Steve didnt get any attitude cause I didnt buy the kit from him. Instead, he emailed me the install instructions, and even offered to take the kit and fix everything up for me. I think if I recall right...for free. I never did send it to him cause I couldnt wait to install it, but the fact that he went out of his way like that, scores high in my book. Its hard to find anyone that gives a rats ass after youve bought their product. :cool:
If razor and SMC joined forces, they could do some serious damage.

Another thing. There was recently a test done by some guy over at corral.net (mustang guys), where he tested water, alky, meth and a mix of things on the dyno. A mix of water and methanol worked better than everything. Even better than pure methanol. It made something like 8rwhp more than the others without adding any timing. Plus it controlled detonation the best.

Snow performance also makes a progressive kit.

I was going to go the DIY route, but I called Julio and bought his kit minus the controller and MAP sensor. I think I paid $235 plus shipping. I then got the Snow progressive controller for $129 which comes with it's own 3 bar MAF with an output signal if you need it for something else. I haven't done much tuning but right now 22psi on 91 octane is what I'm running with no issues.

alky kit

As you probably have gathered the RAZOR kit is the one to have, as you can see in my sig, im running a t-66 turbo with 22lbs boost with no issues period, the kit was straigth forward to install and JULIO is the best :D as i made repeated calls to him while installing and he was very patient and helpfull with me putting it in and i love it. What more can you ask for, a great system and perfect customer support. If all vendors were this good we wouldn't need a complaint section. Thanks Julio.

BuickMike said:
Snow performance also makes a progressive kit.

I was going to go the DIY route, but I called Julio and bought his kit minus the controller and MAP sensor. I think I paid $235 plus shipping. I then got the Snow progressive controller for $129 which comes with it's own 3 bar MAF with an output signal if you need it for something else. I haven't done much tuning but right now 22psi on 91 octane is what I'm running with no issues.

Hey Mike, have any pics or a write up of what you did? Very curious. I went to Snow Performance and they really didn't have too much on their site.
Thanks

Razor's kit

It is the only way to go. 22 PSI, seamless transition into alky. Now I know why I bought the drag radials!

Boston Boy said:
Hey Mike, have any pics or a write up of what you did? Very curious. I went to Snow Performance and they really didn't have too much on their site.
Thanks

No pics. Basically I bought the Razor kit from Razor minus the PAC controller and MAF. He shipped me the whole deal with wiring and instructions. I first connected the pump through a relay to a Hobbs switch, but then picked up the Snow controller later on. The snow controller is pretty easy to hook up. You have a wire that goes to ign +, one for ground, and another that goes to the + side of the pump. There is a vacuum port on the unit for your boost line to the built in 3 bar MAP. There is also a pin on the connector that has the output signal for the 3 bar map incase you want to use it for Turbolink or whatever. There are 2 dials on the box. One is for starting psi and another for the psi that the pump will be set to full. Starting psi is as low as 7 psi and full blast goes as high as 25psi. I just set it to the max values on both sides for now and so far, so good.

I just Purchased devilsownon Alky Kit

i just orderefd it yesterday so it will be awhile but when its all hooked up i will get back with the results ;)

razors kit has been great for me.

hes very helpful and even answers questions about my car that arent related to alcahol.

idiots like me need all the help they can get.

:D :eek:

I own 2 TTA's one with SMC and another with Razors kit.....Razor's kit hands down wins!

Both are good kits and the diy works very well for those that like to do their own work and/or save some money.

I like the digital progressive controller with built in map sensor in the smc kit as it allows one to simply dial to the desired boost without fiddling around.

It is also very small in size and can be mounted without occupying significant space.

Performance wise...they all work :)

Razor's kit all the way-he practices what he preaches(he goes to the dragstrip & races every moment he gets)He lives & breathes the turbo cars w/alky applied & very intelligent!!

Besides, I lost a motor using a SMC kit due to pump failure
Both turbobuicks I've owned have Razor's kit & have had zero problems!

Razor aka Julio aka www.alkycontrol.com has impecable service-its like having a lawyer on retainer (pick-up the phone & call-always a get non-biased professional advice)

If your doing good running 110 and its readily available and affordable, stick with it. Alky is nice, but you should run just as good on the 110 and its safer. Alky is one more thing to mess with, tune for, and can go wrong, but its all in what you want and how you want to do it.

RAZOR's PROGRESSIVE KIT SAVED MY ENGINE and his customer service is great. He is the moderator of the Alky board and helps answer and solve problems regardless of brand or type of kit / doesnt just try to push his own design, he constantly thrashes his own car so that we can reap the benefits of his errors. ;) just my opinion though.