AEM Boost Controller

bishir

Serenity Now
This thread is about this boost controller: (It's easily found cheaper)
AEM TRU-BOOST Gauge / Boost Controller - Monitor and Control Boost 30-4350

30-4350_B_BB.jpg

I had some extra spending money and was switching to an external wastegate. Then low and behold I have an empty gauge pod staring me in the face. That combination led me on a search for a new boost controller. I considered the Turbosmart controller but they were about $200 more than this one. I found some for around $250 but ultimately decided on buying one from Jegs.

Anybody using this controller? What do you like/dislike about it?

Ok, here is what I like about it.

1. Looks

The LED lights on the outside remind me of the stock boost gauge. You can also set a boost WARNING level. If you start to go over all the LEDs flash yellow, and if you overboost they all blink red and it turns off boost. Basically it just reverts to whatever your wastegate spring is set at. In my case that would be #12. The red LED also looks just like the Red LED in my Innovated wideband gauge, my scanmaster, and my autometer digital gauges. It's not for everyone but it matches and I like stuff to match.

2. High Boost Recall

3. Simplicity It doesn't have all the features or price of some of the other kits out there, but I wasn't needing that.

4. Fit, it fits in a standard A-pillar mount.

I'll let you know what I don't like about it when I install it.

It's going to look good in the A-Pillar next to the Innovative Wideband gauge.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 490
I'm waiting on a transmission to return at the moment, but once that's in I'll let you know. After opening it, it looks like a well put together kit.

im still trying to understand the "boost scramble" function, you wouldnt happen to have some insight on its exact pupose would ya?

A.j.

the boost scramble is basically a setting that will give more boost only when activated so say ur boost is set at 22 and a little ricer sti or something wants to play u can set the scramble boost to 30 and show him how gay he really is

the boost scramble is basically a setting that will give more boost only when activated so say ur boost is set at 22 and a little ricer sti or something wants to play u can set the scramble boost to 30 and show him how gay he really is

OH! holy chit. now that an idea i really really like!

thank you very much!

A.j.

Or how much of a dope you are when you scramble your engine:rolleyes:

I kinda like the idea.... Maybe...........I dunno.......... seems like a decent plan for us draw-thru guys, our A/F ratio doesnt change with boost, and by learning to control the timing retard on my BTM-6 based on the settings of the boost scramble, I think it would be ok for those quick stoplight blast's we get before our aircharge overheats.

maybe im crazy... But I do value your opinion Brian, if you think its a gimmick, please....... fill me in! Tell me your thoughts!

:biggrin:A.j.

Boost is adjusted by controlling the duty cycle of the selenoid. The boost scramble feature is activated when one of the wires from the boost controller is grounded. I'd imagine a user would have a toggle to either raise or lower boost at a flip of a switch rather than duty cycle adjustment via the boost gauge. I don't plan on using this feature but could see how someone may want to have a valet switch, triggered with a line lock release, etc...

Installed this the other day and I really like it so far. Just a FYI, but AEM has videos on their site that tell all about the controller and what the features are for etc...

One of the best things about having a controller like this is that you can set the boost warning level and if you overboost the controller will shut you down and possible save your engine.