Things I should know when building a slightly faster than stock car

1985t-type

I have a 1985 regal t-type and I have some questions about how to get started on modifying it. I got the car when I was 14 and before I got my license I redid the carpet and headliner as well as the valve cover gaskets. My age isn't what it says it is in my profile because I was not sure if you had to be 18. I'm the only 16 year old kid I know that knows what a grand national is. I got an aftermarket boost gauge as well as a knock gauge to make sure I don't blow anything up. I would like to run more boost but this being a hot air car makes it hard to do so. I have an adjustable waist gate so turning up the boost is not hard but it does knock very easily. To try to fix this problem I was looking into methanol injection kits and I found one from snow performance called stage 2 boost cooler and I was wondering if this would help some. I do have an AEM wide-band gauge that i'm planing to put in to make sure the knock is not caused by fuel starvation but I still need to pickup the O2 sensor it self. Another question I have is, my gauge has the ability to output 1 one volt signal and I was wondering if i could wire that back to the 86-87 ecm that I have and just get rid of the stock 02 all together. Thanks.

Go to GNttype.org and look at the "Spring Cleaning" section. It tells you some basic upgrades to do that help make the car more reliable.

I know what it is like to be the only young guy into these cars. I bought my first car ever when I was 17 and it was a Grand National. I am 30yrs old now, and still love these cars just as much as I did when I was in HS.

Go to GNttype.org and look at the "Spring Cleaning" section. It tells you some basic upgrades to do that help make the car more reliable.

I know what it is like to be the only young guy into these cars. I bought my first car ever when I was 17 and it was a Grand National. I am 30yrs old now, and still love these cars just as much as I did when I was in HS.
Thanks, I will check that out.

Also visit the HA section on this board.

You will need to:
1-Know what it currently runs
2-Define "slightly faster"
3-Have a budget in mind.

Also visit the HA section on this board.

You will need to:
1-Know what it currently runs
2-Define "slightly faster"
3-Have a budget in mind.
I'm not sure what it runs as far as 1/4 mile but I do believe that it's 0-60 is better than the clamed 7.7 sec. 400hp would be awesome and all I have to buy is gas and car parts. The problem I have is I don't have a constant income because I do side work for my dad and that's not every week.

I'm not sure what it runs as far as 1/4 mile but I do believe that it's 0-60 is better than the clamed 7.7 sec. 400hp would be awesome and all I have to buy is gas and car parts. The problem I have is I don't have a constant income because I do side work for my dad and that's not every week.
Fully understand.
Keep it stock and you will have longer and cheaper enjoyment.

Young guy in a fast car = cop magnet. Make sure everything works properly - brake lights, brakes, turn signals, headlights properly aligned. Always use signals when changing lanes and turning. Give no reasons to get pulled over. They will spend your car money for you if they do. Actually wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a radar detector early on.

Young guy in a fast car = cop magnet. Make sure everything works properly - brake lights, brakes, turn signals, headlights properly aligned. Always use signals when changing lanes and turning. Give no reasons to get pulled over. They will spend your car money for you if they do. Actually wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a radar detector early on.
Haha yeah, I don't really speed but every now and then it's fun to put your foot down and fell the turbos build up, but that's usually when I see cop cars.