911 turbo body..

wow! that's a monster on the making and thanks for sharing, mine was also built by Renegade and i will give them a call regarding my issue. What tranny does your dad have? what State are you guys from? You can view my car here theautostorenj.com (yellow RS). It's currently driveable on the street but it's slow and i'd prefer a stroked GN motor and 200r4 or a turbo 400 reversed valve set up.

That motor does look like it needs a bit of TLC good sir :p

As for having a built turbo small block it is far from slow :D Its actually too much for the 915 trans...If we go over 4lbs of boost it just slips, have a $1500 pressure plate laying around for it but my old man is set this summer on saying screw the 915 and putting in a built 930 turbo 4 speed trans. The way to go for sure.

Let me know if you ever get some solid info on an LC2 swap....would love to see one done!

There is a guy around here that my grandfather knows who puts LC2s in Porches. I can ask for his number and maybe you can give him a call if you are interested.

Zack

There is a guy around here that my grandfather knows who puts LC2s in Porches. I can ask for his number and maybe you can give him a call if you are interested.

Zack

Please do Zack, just got an e mail from Renegade Hybrids and there's no available automatic tranny for 911 except for 928s i guess that's the end of this story. Hopefully Zack's connection will shed some light.

i like the ideas of using a FWD trans
ALSO what about a set up that connects the trans directly to the rear NO DRIVE SHAFT?? Would this still be too long??

Renegade is wrong. The Turbo 425 is the same thing as the Turbo 400 but with a reverse rotation. Here is a 911 with a 500 cubic inch caddy engine using the Turbo 425, fits just fine, and will easily bolt up to the LC2 engine to boot. The following quote is as per the builder....

The Transmission

There are only a few people that know about these TurboHydrmatic 425 Automatic transmissions. They are essentially a TurboHydramatic 400 with reverse rotation and a different valve body. These transmission were used in GMC motorhomes and so there is tremendous strength there and great aftermarket parts are available. This transmission was built to heavy motorhome specs, has a Trans-Go Shift kit, and is the VERY SPECIAL Switch-Pitch torque convertor system. For those of you not familiar, applying a 12V signal to a transmission terminal changes the convertor from low stall to high stall. This gives great hi-stall off the line performance and exceptional pull with it switches back to low stall. For more info just email me. I also have an aftermarket Switch-Pitch transmission controller that I have not installed and does with the car....

Final Drive

I used a 2:73:1 final drive. I tried a 3:17 ratio but the engine just revved too high at cruising speeds. With the huge torque of this motor and the dual range torque convertor the 2:73 gears are great.

In terms of getting the power to the rear tires, I have used Tubro Carrera CV joints because they are stronger and also allow the greater axle shaft angles (because the axles are shorter then stock). Axles were custom built by Dutchman Motorsports in Portland, OR according to the torsional moment strength specs I provided. To carry the extra weight I've installed 30mm torsion bars. The ride is great (perhaps a touch stiff) and the car sits very nicely.

Please take note that the wheels are 7's in front and 8's in the rear. These are the largest size stock Porsche rims and tires that fit this car properly and all are brand new (and were expensive)....

IMG_3622_SML.jpg

IMG_3630_SML.jpg

IMG_3642_SML.jpg

IMG_3647_SML.jpg

IMG_3621_SML.jpg

IMG_3627_SML.jpg

IMG_3587_SML.jpg

IMG_3585_SML.jpg

IMG_3653_SML.jpg

The motor is in dudes rear seat lol

I truly wanna know what its like to ride in that thing with the top on and windows shut :cool:

The motor is in dudes rear seat lol

I truly wanna know what its like to ride in that thing with the top on and windows shut :cool:

it can't be pretty :eek:
But it looks badasS :biggrin:
An insulated fiberglass box like on the boats with some well designed vents to the 1/4s can fix that. I think:confused:

He got some new ideas in there, PM sent and thanks for sharing boss and now i can chat with my tranny man regarding a 425 unit.

Some more information....

General

This engine swap is actually very easy to do. I used a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado 500 cid engine and TurboHydramatic 425 transaxle. The assembly is just as Cadillac designed it. After removing the Porsche engine & transaxle it was a simple matter of building motor mounts, CV joint adaptors and axles, a custom radiator and exhaust system. The Cadillac system has a single front and dual rear mount setup that was easily adaptable to the stock Porsche mounts.

Fitting the package in

The Porsche shock tower crossmember and sheetmetal behind the rear seat had to be removed. I chose a Targa body because of the extra unibody rigidty provided to help when this sheetmetal was removed. The body is still surprisingly stiff. When I was building the car onlookers swore that the back window would pop out and the chassis would twist. But it is all still nice and stiff.

When the final drive & axles arealigned properly with the rear wheels the powerplant is located perfectly fore/aft.....almost like Dr. P and Cadillac had planned for this swap to happen. The engine fits low in the back seat area as can be seen in the photos.

The Engine

The engine is a 1970 Cadillac 500 cid block specially build by Maximum Torque Specialties of Wisconson. This is THE performance Cadillac engine builder. The engine has been slightly bored, decked, and fully balanced. Forged rods and pistons are used, the very expensive Bulldog aluminum heads, pretty healthy cam with roller rockers and specially designed valve train. Roller timing gear & chain, high flow oil pump, and lots of other goodies went into building this engine. It pulled 517 +/- hp on the dyno. It idles a little rough and gives this Porsche a very suspicious sound! To keep engine area temperatures low we ceramic costed the exhaust manifolds in and out to direct exhaust gas heat out the tailpipe. We used the stock manifolds to keep it quieter under the luggage (since the engine is literally right behind you). A high torque starter, remote oil filter, Holley spread-bore double pump carb, and lots of custom billet stuff was also installed.

When you pull that luggage off and your onlookers see those "Porsche 8.2 Litre" valve covers you'll grin with delight at their complete bewilderment.

Powerplant Installation

After removing the shock tower and rear seat sheetmetal the engine just lifts up from below. I use the stock corner engine mounts in the back with different biscuits. The front mount was CAREFULY welded to the tosion bar tube.

Exhaust

I have had three exhaust systems and have settled on a MagnaFlow dual in, duul out muffler mounted in the typical Porshe location. 2.5" pipes are used. There is NO "humming" effect (Flowmasters sounded the worst). Certainly headers were considered BUT because the engine is so close to the interior I think the noise would be unpleasant. Besides....the power and torque is pretty insane anyway and I like the "sleeper" design.

Cooling

Engine cooling is handled by a specially constucted aluminum dual cross flow radiator. This radiator also contains the transmission cooler and uses two VERY high capacity fans. A high capacity water pump was also used. Several months ago there were some concerns with cooling as the car was getting hot. After installation of a large oil cooler up front with an electric fan activated with the radiator fan the car is staying cool at all times in stop and go and light freeway driving here in Southern California in75 to 90 degree weather...

Renegade is wrong. The Turbo 425 is the same thing as the Turbo 400 but with a reverse rotation. Here is a 911 with a 500 cubic inch caddy engine using the Turbo 425, fits just fine, and will easily bolt up to the LC2 engine to boot. The following quote is as per the builder....

The Transmission

There are only a few people that know about these TurboHydrmatic 425 Automatic transmissions. They are essentially a TurboHydramatic 400 with reverse rotation and a different valve body. These transmission were used in GMC motorhomes and so there is tremendous strength there and great aftermarket parts are available. This transmission was built to heavy motorhome specs, has a Trans-Go Shift kit, and is the VERY SPECIAL Switch-Pitch torque convertor system. For those of you not familiar, applying a 12V signal to a transmission terminal changes the convertor from low stall to high stall. This gives great hi-stall off the line performance and exceptional pull with it switches back to low stall. For more info just email me. I also have an aftermarket Switch-Pitch transmission controller that I have not installed and does with the car....

Final Drive

I used a 2:73:1 final drive. I tried a 3:17 ratio but the engine just revved too high at cruising speeds. With the huge torque of this motor and the dual range torque convertor the 2:73 gears are great.

In terms of getting the power to the rear tires, I have used Tubro Carrera CV joints because they are stronger and also allow the greater axle shaft angles (because the axles are shorter then stock). Axles were custom built by Dutchman Motorsports in Portland, OR according to the torsional moment strength specs I provided. To carry the extra weight I've installed 30mm torsion bars. The ride is great (perhaps a touch stiff) and the car sits very nicely.

Please take note that the wheels are 7's in front and 8's in the rear. These are the largest size stock Porsche rims and tires that fit this car properly and all are brand new (and were expensive)....

IMG_3622_SML.jpg

IMG_3630_SML.jpg

IMG_3642_SML.jpg

IMG_3647_SML.jpg

IMG_3621_SML.jpg

IMG_3627_SML.jpg

IMG_3587_SML.jpg

IMG_3585_SML.jpg

IMG_3653_SML.jpg

Thank you for posting that information, I knew it could be done, it just makes you wonder where people are getting their information when they just flat out tell you that it can NOT be done!

Thanks again!
Prasad

Indeed.. I sent this to a bunch of car guys, many of them current and former Porsche owners.. and they were just like "whoa!".
I can only imagine what this thing drives like.

I'd still like to convert an older 911 over to a UQM electric drive system like Niel Young's LincVolt, and have a small micro-turbine generator in it also.
UQM Hybrid Systems

It would probably cost a gazillion dollars but I still want it!
Photo Release -- Capstone C30 Successfully Integrated Into Ford Vehicle by Langford Performance Engineering Ltd. (Nasdaq:CPST)

Indeed.. I sent this to a bunch of car guys, many of them current and former Porsche owners.. and they were just like "whoa!".
I can only imagine what this thing drives like.

I'd still like to convert an older 911 over to a UQM electric drive system like Niel Young's LincVolt, and have a small micro-turbine generator in it also.
UQM Hybrid Systems

It would probably cost a gazillion dollars but I still want it!
Photo Release -- Capstone C30 Successfully Integrated Into Ford Vehicle by Langford Performance Engineering Ltd. (Nasdaq:CPST)

I have seen Fieros done longitudinal setups with TH 425 and TH325-4L (which is a 200R4 turned around backwards). It will take almost all the good internals we have for the 200r4 and gives us the overdrive unlike the TH425 ( the TH400 counter part)As a matter of fact, look at Fogs set up here, he has a Fiero stage II done with the TH 425.My tranny guy said he can build that up to put behind a Fiero and it will hold up deep into the 9's because the Fiero is so light around 2500 lbs so the tranny will survive. I am sitting on three Th 325-4Ls and 2 TH 425. As fas as handeling the way the TH 425/Th 325/4L is setup you will have more weight in the tail end of the car so what these guys are doing is; they are flipping the Differential around so that the engine faces backwards thus more weight on the axels and they are claiming that it makes a big difference.
HTH
Prasad

If you are sticking with the LC2 based turbo Buick and it's (some would call restricted) 3-bolt manifold..... IMHO skip the 76 turbo. There are plenty of turbos out there lots smaller that are more at home with much tigher street oriented converters that would make a ton of power. To be honest, the new billet 62 Precision turbo would probably make as much power as an old 4.1 block could stand and then some.... and it would be much more fun to drive on the street than trying to spool a 76mm turbo. You could run about 1500 RPM lower stall too....as compared to the stall needed to spool a 76.

Just my opinion.

Very cool project none-the-less.

If you are sticking with the LC2 based turbo Buick and it's (some would call restricted) 3-bolt manifold..... IMHO skip the 76 turbo. There are plenty of turbos out there lots smaller that are more at home with much tigher street oriented converters that would make a ton of power. To be honest, the new billet 62 Precision turbo would probably make as much power as an old 4.1 block could stand and then some.... and it would be much more fun to drive on the street than trying to spool a 76mm turbo. You could run about 1500 RPM lower stall too....as compared to the stall needed to spool a 76.

Just my opinion.

Very cool project none-the-less.

At this point this project has not started due to no concrete infos nor able person to tackle the project. I sold my GN stroker motor with 76 turbo/full billet 2004r intended for this car but i still have a mild LC2 and a built Stage 2 Buick motor (274 off center) available if this project moves on. I guess the easiest way to go is to just replace the current motor on this car (stock SBC) with any built LS series without a turbo and install a G30 Porsche 4 speed and call it the day. The car is currently in running condition with cold A/C and heat but kinda anemic in performance. I try to get some photos this weekend and post it. Any infos on LS series powerplant and G30 tranny will be appreciated. thanks.

I guess I should have stated I was assuming we were talking a non-stage 4.1...... i.e. 1984 full sized Buick station wagon based 4.1..... Those blocks are supposedly weaker than a 109 3.8L...... but if you were talking stage motor..... it will hold plenty if everything is right.

I stand by my 76 turbo on a street car statement..... it will take a pile of stall to make it work..... and if it is just a 3-bolt..... such a large turbo is a waste on the 3-bolt IMHO.

With todays technology in turbos.... we have seen 8's in a 3500# (or so) car with a 67 turbo on a 3.8 based combo. I can only imagine the potential in a 2600 - 2800# car with a 4.1.

I guess I should have stated I was assuming we were talking a non-stage 4.1...... i.e. 1984 full sized Buick station wagon based 4.1..... Those blocks are supposedly weaker than a 109 3.8L...... but if you were talking stage motor..... it will hold plenty if everything is right.

I stand by my 76 turbo on a street car statement..... it will take a pile of stall to make it work..... and if it is just a 3-bolt..... such a large turbo is a waste on the 3-bolt IMHO.

With todays technology in turbos.... we have seen 8's in a 3500# (or so) car with a 67 turbo on a 3.8 based combo. I can only imagine the potential in a 2600 - 2800# car with a 4.1.

Yeah that stroker motor was a girdled 4.1 with a full stroker internals it had instant power and no issues with the 76 BB had gone 9.40s in the quarter with no issues that's why i was so excited what will it do to the Porsche.

I stand by my 76 turbo on a street car statement..... it will take a pile of stall to make it work..... and if it is just a 3-bolt..... such a large turbo is a waste on the 3-bolt IMHO...

2.73 gear w/antilag enabled solves that problem...