70 Hemi Cuda convertible

Hey Grumpy, even when the Ford's version of the "HEMI" the BOSS 429 Mustang (the pinnacle of all Mustangs "ever" and I really like that body style) were new and there after I have only ever seen two on the streets.

The second one that I saw was around 1990 or so and I got a chance to try him with my 400 smallblock 82 Trans Am which I was on my way to Cecil to run my first 11.80 that day and I thank GOD to this day that I got the chance to run one on the street, well I don't have to tell you what the outcome of that traffic light race was which I gave him the jump just so I knew he was really racing but he was so embarrass to get instantaneously beat by a 17 second 145 hp 305 cu. in. 82 TA (that's what they came with from the factory) that he made the first right hand turn he could threw a gas station and out the back. That Boss 429 still looked new, the only outward change where really nice aftermarket wheels and beefy tires. Both "HEMI" cars will remain "LEGENDS" for a long time; Oh, and yes the ta would of took my stock cuda on pinks.:biggrin:

My neighbor has a 1970 Boss 429. The car is bone stock with only 6k original miles! Needless to say he does not drive it. He has several nice cars, but the boss is his baby. I agree the baby boomers are buying what they dreamed about as kids and teens. I think the reason you see such high prices is the sentimental value which can be great. Somthing that makes an oldtimer feel 16 again is hard to put a price on.

was that car yellow by any chance ? my bossman recently sold his yellow hemi vert clone. it in fact was a 318 car that has turned into a hemi vert several yrs ago.

A Typical Night/drive With Your Hemi Roadrunner!!

What would usually happen with a "HEMI" Roadrunner is the guys with their hot fords or chevys thinking that it's probably just a 383 which they had beaten one at one time or another would pull up along side getting ready to throw down the challenge when they would notice the word "HEMI" then they would just slide back were they came from. The word "HEMI" and "FEAR" were the same in their book!!!!:eek:

PS: They were like the GN's in a way because of what they had seen at the track; they did not know if the car was "FAST" OR "REALLLLLY FAST":D :D

When it comes down to it, a car is a car. Cars that drive better, handle better, stop better and are faster should be worth more than a car that drives worse, handles worse, stops worse, and is slower.

True, except Hemi Cudas are no longer cars. They are art... sculpture to be precise.

Once you pass into the realm of art, which these cars have clearly done, there is no rational justification for prices.

Why is a Van Gogh worth 10,000 times more than a similar painting from a local artist? Answer: Just because it is.

Hemi Clone

was that car yellow by any chance ? my bossman recently sold his yellow hemi vert clone. it in fact was a 318 car that has turned into a hemi vert several yrs ago.

Yes sir it was yellow, believe they said interior was originally black and they put a white interior in it. They put white Hemi billboards on the rear 1/4s the Shaker white as well . Supposedly 4000 man hours to restore.....The Yellow and white Cuda with the top dropped looked real nice. Might have been your bossman's....

True, except Hemi Cudas are no longer cars. They are art... sculpture to be precise.

Once you pass into the realm of art, which these cars have clearly done, there is no rational justification for prices.

Why is a Van Gogh worth 10,000 times more than a similar painting from a local artist? Answer: Just because it is.

If you've seen a new Challenger, that is Art. Art that you can actually drive in 2008, without being embarassed by a kid with a fart pipe (He thinks his car is "Art", too). 425 NET Horsepower (not 425 Gross HP), Real Brakes, Real Suspension, Real Seats, a Real Transmission... for 1/5 to 1/10 the cost of an original.

I've owned a bunch and have come to the realization that paying big bucks for "Muscle Cars" is dumb. I'm glad people do it, but my opinion of them is they are "suckers".

If they want to bust out their $60K+ Stock restored Muscle Car and show me who is the king of the street, I'll will bust a gut laughing at them.

You miss the point.

People who buy vintage muscle cars don't care about the vehicle's competency.

A new Honda Accord is a far better car in every way than a '65 GTO... faster, better handling, more comfortable, etc, etc... yet at the end of the day a '65 GTO is one of the coolest cars ever made and the Accord is, well, an appliance. It's a refrigerator you can drive.

If it was all about getting as high as possible on the bang-for-the-buck curve everybody who could afford it would be driving a Z06 Corvette. But getting high on that curve is not why people own vintage cars. It's all about owning a piece of history. And, apparently, people are willing to pay quite a bit for that.

I wouldn't spend my money on either, but if someone offered to give me a new Challenger or a '70 Challenger (in nice shape) I'd take the '70 knowing full well that by today's standards it's a POS.

Why?

Because a '70 Challenger is even cooler than a '65 GTO. :)

lots of different "views" or should I say "generation gap's" :p oh I don't have any more dream cars :eek: IF I did get an old car I would consider a "restomod".. old car with new technology drivetrain :biggrin:

Dream Car If I Builded One

70 HEMI DUSTER= 526 CU.IN. NEW HEMI (still has those magic valve covers), TWIN TURBO, FUEL INJECTION, AIR CONDITIONED, POWER WINDOWS AND A SOX'S & MARTIN PAINT JOB. A STREET CAR THAT WOULD RUN AT LEAST IN THE 8'S AND IDLES VERY WELL.:biggrin:

IF I did get an old car I would consider a "restomod".. old car with new technology drivetrain :biggrin:

There is some company that will do that for you. The one I saw was a 70-something Challenger. It was a completely new car built under the old body. Best of everything. Uber-cool, but it was something like $200K. :rolleyes:

For that kind of money I'd be driving an F430.

I've always like classic cars becuase IMO the styling is so much better than today's cars plus they're very easy to work on since back then they didn't have sophisticated electronics, also because a lot of them were not plagued with all of the emissions stuff. And as The Blob pointed out, they look awesome.

I can drive my 69 Nova down the boulevard and get a ton of thumbs up, girls checking me (and my car) out....won't be long before I'll be driving it down to Panama and have all the girls flashing at me. :eek: :D

There is some company that will do that for you. The one I saw was a 70-something Challenger. It was a completely new car built under the old body. Best of everything. Uber-cool, but it was something like $200K. :rolleyes:

For that kind of money I'd be driving an F430.

Which is exactly my point.

By the time you've turned a sows ear into a silk purse, you would be grande dinero ahead if you just bought the silk purse.

I bought a car from a guy yesterday who had a 318 barracuda he turned into a 440 clone with a 500 stroker, With tires it will run high 10's and it looks like a nice "restomod" (the dominator is hidden in the shaker).

It's a great looking car, that would be a hell of a lot of fun... but it was an 8 mpg toy you could drive to the track, in a straight line (he only lives 5 miles from his local track). He maybe has $20K total in it, but would never sell it, so by the time you waved enough cash to pry it out of his hands, your are looking at Z06 money... where you can run high 10's, take it to a race course and set fast time and drive it across the country on a whim and get 23 mpg.

If somebody thinks old 'Cuda's are "art" and want to pay big bucks to park them in their garage and stare at them... hey, what ever floats your boat. But if I call them an "idiot" for doing so, objective evidence is on MY side.

Yeah, i wasnt being sarcastic either:cool: .

If you've ever driven a 'cuda convertible, you might feel differently. Mine was a "loose collection of parts flying at low altitude in close formation"

If you plan to park it in a parking lot a stare at it, it's a great deal. If you are comparing it to other actual cars you could buy and drive for $90K, it is insane, bordering on a mental illness.

Nobody loved E-bodies more than me... when they were $4,500 - $25,000. For $90K there are so many rarer and better cars it is not even funny.

Nobody loved E-bodies more than me... when they were $4,500 - $25,000. For $90K there are so many rarer and better cars it is not even funny.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder (with $$$) People collect everything nowadays that can run into BIG $$$.. antiques, cars, houses, toys and everything else under the sun . how does the expression go ??? there is an ass for every seat :cool: