70 Hemi Cuda convertible

ChavoLC2

On BJ tonight they sold the above convertible that decoded as having a 318 that they dropped a Hemi in and sold for $87,500. It was a nice lookin ride but hey. Why would anyone in their right mind pay that much for a fake. Can't even call it a clone it's a stinkin' high dollar Fake. Could have bought a couple GN's,TR's with tricked out Stage engines or one super nice low mileage GNX . Don't get it....

On BJ tonight they sold the above convertible that decoded as having a 318 that they dropped a Hemi in and sold for $87,500. It was a nice lookin ride but hey. Why would anyone in their right mind pay that much for a fake. Can't even call it a clone it's a stinkin' high dollar Fake. Could have bought a couple GN's,TR's with tricked out Stage engines or one super nice low mileage GNX . Don't get it....

Because a real one is over a million.

Try building a rusted out old cuda into a show quality car. You'll end up close to that price anyway.

Not too long ago..

I mentioned that the Mopar fan base has ruined the collector car market with the outrageous prices they are paying for original cars. Like the housing market all good things come to an end. Eventually, people will realize they are stuck with these cars when they can't sell it for a profit and refuse to take a loss. I know its my personal opinion, but I just don't get the Mopar thing...Heavy, poor handling, not really that fast (compared to TRs), and most importantly these days really inefficient. I hope I did not offend any Mopar guys here. Million dollars for a car that cost 4K new! People need their heads examined.

I mentioned that the Mopar fan base has ruined the collector car market with the outrageous prices they are paying for original cars. Like the housing market all good things come to an end. Eventually, people will realize they are stuck with these cars when they can't sell it for a profit and refuse to take a loss. I know its my personal opinion, but I just don't get the Mopar thing...Heavy, poor handling, not really that fast (compared to TRs), and most importantly these days really inefficient. I hope I did not offend any Mopar guys here. Million dollars for a car that cost 4K new! People need their heads examined.

I was trying to figure out where all the money for mopars came from and it appears to be from "Viper Guys" - I'm sure everyone has met one, I don't need to describe him.

We had mopars growing up and I drove a '71 'Cuda Convertible to college and never would imagine in a million years paying over $10K for one (maybe I'd go $15K for a low mile Hemi). We were second class citizens at car shows and had to have our own "Mopar shows" because we got no respect at open shows.

Then, in the late 90's the prices just took off (Viper guys). My reaction was "Kick ass, now I can unload these numb steering, horrible braking, rust attracting rattle traps" and sold them for 3X what I paid for them and never looked back.

If I had known the "Viper Guy" pool was as large as it was I could have made 10X, but 3X is 3X better than 1X so no regrets.

It's not so much that its a fake, but the guy paid $90K for a car that handles, rides and drives like Ass.

I put about 30K miles on a 'cuda340 convertible and I am lucky to be alive today. I stopped driving it when I bought a 1986 Mustang GT convertible. My Mustang was twice the car in all respects: handling, braking, ride, comfort, options, reliability, etc. etc. No comparison. I never wanted to drive the 'Cuda again.

You can pick up an 80's Mustange GT convert for what $5K? So a Cuda convert should be worth less, right?

I mentioned that the Mopar fan base has ruined the collector car market with the outrageous prices they are paying for original cars. Like the housing market all good things come to an end. Eventually, people will realize they are stuck with these cars when they can't sell it for a profit and refuse to take a loss. I know its my personal opinion, but I just don't get the Mopar thing...Heavy, poor handling, not really that fast (compared to TRs), and most importantly these days really inefficient.

very easy to answer .. generation gap... lots of people from the muscle car era have $$$ to bring back the "dream car" they had or wanted :eek: I hallucinate every now and then.. I like just about every car out there BUT I'd only want it for a month or so then ya could have it back .. attention span isn't what it use to be :p

The reality is, the price of that is less than it was last year, and even more so than two years ago. Look at what Cuda verts are even with a 318. They are bringing $40K plus in good condition. I bet the seller didn't make out real well on the deal. A hemi engine build is not exactly cheap and restoring any e-body is quite expensive.

One word...... HEMI=$$$$$

Alot of people don't know excactly what a Hemi is, they just know the word and it's associated with Chrysler/Mopar. Look at what Chrysler is doing nowadays, they brought back the term "Hemi." The new motors in the Chrysler don't even resemble a Hemi.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Alot of people don't know excactly what a Hemi is, they just know the word and it's associated with Chrysler/Mopar. Look at what Chrysler is doing nowadays, they brought back the term "Hemi." The new motors in the Chrysler don't even resemble a Hemi.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Hemis on the street were more myth than reality. People that bought them back in the day had a bitch of time getting them to run right.

We had an old neighbor that was the original owner of a '70 Hemi Cuda convertible (one of 14). He had the car six months and traded it in for a 454 Vette. His general impression of the car was that it "ran like crap". Other Hemi owners I've talked to said they "hated to drive it". One was looking for an automatic because his 4 speed Hemi cuda "sucked".

Yes, tuned up, with slicks you might crack off a high 12/low 13 in the 1/4, in a 8 mpg, buckboard riding, numb steering, ill handling pig.

When only about 1000 cars are made (E-body Hemi Cudas), there are 1,000's of people who want one for the each person who has one.

The person that has one knows what they are worth. The 1,000's of people that want one, don't. It is therefore funny that the 1000's of people that want one set the price.

People with more $$$$$ than brains.

I second that.

I know its my personal opinion, but I just don't get the Mopar thing...Heavy, poor handling, not really that fast (compared to TRs), and most importantly these days really inefficient.

I think it's mostly baby boomers trying to recapture their youth. Or they can now finally afford the car they couldn't afford in 1970. Or it's someone thinking "in a few years, they will be worth $10k more than they are now, I think I'll buy and sit on it and make a profit".

I was trying to figure out where all the money for mopars came from and it appears to be from "Viper Guys".

I never thought it was anything to do with the Viper crowd. I always figured it was because Chrysler didn't make as many cars as GM and also were known to rust (like Vegas) and didn't last 10 years before heading off to the boneyard, unlike GM where they lasted longer and more of them were made.

It's not so much that its a fake, but the guy paid $90K for a car that handles, rides and drives like Ass.

You can pick up an 80's Mustange GT convert for what $5K? So a Cuda convert should be worth less, right?

Not if you have a bunch of baby boomers willing to pay for a car that is otherwise scarce today. They only made the famous "coke bottle" body style Cuda from 1970-1974....fox bodied Mustangs were built for 14 years, so there's more of them available. Supply and demand dictate the price.

very easy to answer .. generation gap... lots of people from the muscle car era have $$$ to bring back the "dream car" they had or wanted :eek:

I concur. As mentioned I believe it's a situation of someone who was in their 20's in the 70's either couldn't afford to buy their dream car then and can now, or they had their dream car and had to sell it due to the wife/kids/divorce....and are now trying to get back what they lost so many years ago.

All the time I hear stories of someone's first muscle car they sold, they are now looking for, or they found it and are pleading with the owner to sell it back to them or if they succeed they end up paying thru the nose to get it back. Some of these people really are desperate.

So those of you looking to sell your GN or T....keep in mind one day you might wish you still had it....

Hemi

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Some like Rats others elephants. Took Big Daady Garlits awhile to like the 426 he was used to the '92. Read that the early hemi would come apart at 34 degree timing lead/advance Garlits got frustrated dialed her to 40 went over 214,then people thought he was real crazy when he dialed it to 50 degree and poof he went 219 and became a believer and a diciple of the elephant engine...Think Ed Pink's Hemi engines were called Pink Elephants.

Not if you have a bunch of baby boomers willing to pay for a car that is otherwise scarce today. They only made the famous "coke bottle" body style Cuda from 1970-1974....fox bodied Mustangs were built for 14 years, so there's more of them available. Supply and demand dictate the price.

When it comes down to it, a car is a car. Cars that drive better, handle better, stop better and are faster should be worth more than a car that drives worse, handles worse, stops worse, and is slower.

If someone wants to buy a car that says "hey everybody! Look at me!" (the epitome of a "viper guy") then yes, it makes sense that they would pay $1 million for a piece of crap car so they would be member of a select crew of piece of crap car owners, that everyone wants to be a member of, but a lack of supply means they can't.

Old Mopars (and most old, stock restored muscle cars) are Rice for old guys. All looks with nothing to back it up. We Rip on a dufus in fart pipe hondas, but he didn't pay $200K for a "muscle car" that would get his ass kicked on the street by the kid in the fart pipe Honda.

I'm glad Musclecar prices have gone into the stratosphere. The guys who put their blood and sweat into a restoration can get some of their time and money out of it and there's another rich guy who will be out on the street, just waiting for one of us to hand his ass to him.

A Legend Lives For A Long Time!!!!!!

I had a 68 Hemi Roadrunner (blue) 4 speed and a 70 Hemi Cuda (bronze metallic) auto with the front rubber coated bumper. The color made it the best looking 70 hemi cuda I have ever seen and the only one in that color that I have seen. I paid $1400 dollars for it at the time.

The Hemi was like a sleeping giant, it would not get out of it's own way or it would speed the rotation of the earth. The stuff legends are made of. Just the word would scare the pants off of Ford and Chevy guys.

PS: I could just stand there and stare at the valve covers for hours.:biggrin: Oh! and I thank GOD that I had a chance to of owned one, or two.

The Hemi was like a sleeping giant, it would not get out of it's own way or it would speed the rotation of the earth. The stuff legends are made of. Just the word would scare the pants off of Ford and Chevy guys.

PS: I could just stand there and stare at the valve covers for hours.:biggrin: Oh! and I thank GOD that I had a chance to of owned one, or two.

same thing for the BOSS 429 Mustangs :eek: :rolleyes:

When it comes down to it, a car is a car. Cars that drive better, handle better, stop better and are faster should be worth more than a car that drives worse, handles worse, stops worse, and is slower.

If someone wants to buy a car that says "hey everybody! Look at me!" (the epitome of a "viper guy") then yes, it makes sense that they would pay $1 million for a piece of crap car so they would be member of a select crew of piece of crap car owners, that everyone wants to be a member of, but a lack of supply means they can't.

Old Mopars (and most old, stock restored muscle cars) are Rice for old guys. All looks with nothing to back it up. We Rip on a dufus in fart pipe hondas, but he didn't pay $200K for a "muscle car" that would get his ass kicked on the street by the kid in the fart pipe Honda.

I'm glad Musclecar prices have gone into the stratosphere. The guys who put their blood and sweat into a restoration can get some of their time and money out of it and there's another rich guy who will be out on the street, just waiting for one of us to hand his ass to him.

True but again I think it's the baby boomers paying for a piece of history. Yes technology has come a long ways since 1970. Yes cars today corner better, steer better, stop better and idle better than they did in 1970, but they don't have the same eye candy appeal as a muscle car (maybe you're right on the "look at me" thing) plus for the baby boomers it's a reuniting with their first love.

Of course I'm not exactly glad for the muscle car industry going thru the roof. I consider myself a child of the 80's, but my dad had a 68 Camaro and a 71 Nova and my mom had a 67 Chevelle all when i was growing up, so that's why those cars have a spot in my heart.

You never know, one day some kid born in the 70's might be paying $60k for an '86 T-type and people will wonder why someone would spend so much on a car that's temperamental with a crappy brake system.

I am really surprised to hear the Hemi is not considered that fast, considering it is a detuned version of the race engine, albeit a high compression ratio and almost 500 ft. lbs of torque. Maybe they detuned it too much?

same thing for the BOSS 429 Mustangs :eek: :rolleyes:

Hey Grumpy, even when the Ford's version of the "HEMI" the BOSS 429 Mustang (the pinnacle of all Mustangs "ever" and I really like that body style) were new and there after I have only ever seen two on the streets.

The second one that I saw was around 1990 or so and I got a chance to try him with my 400 smallblock 82 Trans Am which I was on my way to Cecil to run my first 11.80 that day and I thank GOD to this day that I got the chance to run one on the street, well I don't have to tell you what the outcome of that traffic light race was which I gave him the jump just so I knew he was really racing but he was so embarrass to get instantaneously beat by a 17 second 145 hp 305 cu. in. 82 TA (that's what they came with from the factory) that he made the first right hand turn he could threw a gas station and out the back. That Boss 429 still looked new, the only outward change where really nice aftermarket wheels and beefy tires. Both "HEMI" cars will remain "LEGENDS" for a long time; Oh, and yes the ta would of took my stock cuda on pinks.:biggrin: