6262 went bad

My 6262 went bad quickly. Has anyone else had problems with their Turbo?
Been running a 6262dbb for over 3 years on the street with many hard miles. No blow off valve and no issues. Only issue I have is keeping a set of rear tires on the car!

Had a new 4431 die after about 2500 miles. Not hard miles either, no warranty coverage, was on the car for just over 1 1/2 years, I'am Happy :(

You say went bad.. Exactly what symptoms did you come across to say it's bad?

Unlike me at first, make sure you let the oil pressure get down to a warm operating temperature, too much oil psi is bad at first. Too much psi got my 6776 bb, (loved that turbo). At least I think that's what got it by getting on it early without letting the car warm up good, too many times and finally let go.

Here are some more tips.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/save-your-turbos.369290/

Clark6 said:
You say went bad.. Exactly what symptoms did you come across to say it's bad?

Unlike me at first, make sure you let the oil pressure get down to a warm operating temperature, too much oil psi is bad at first. Too much psi got my 6776 bb, (loved that turbo). At least I think that's what got it by getting on it early without letting the car warm up good, too many times and finally let go.

Here are some more tips.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/save-your-turbos.369290/

It's unlikely that oil pressure wasted your turbo. Maybe an interruption in oil pressure but not because of pressure

That's possible too Bison as I was stumped as to I've gotten on it plenty of times over the few years I had that turbo with no problems until then. Guess I was grabbing at straws & couldn't find any other reason. lol.

Mine wasn't a bearing my seal let go on the exhaust side; shaft play and bearings were fine.

Clark6 said:
That's possible too Bison as I was stumped as to I've gotten on it plenty of times over the few years I had that turbo with no problems until then. Guess I was grabbing at straws & couldn't find any other reason. lol.

Mine wasn't a bearing my seal let go on the exhaust side; shaft play and bearings were fine.
The seal can't really let go as a result of itself unless it was faulty to begin with. It's an iron sealing ring like a piston ring. There are a lot of possibilities as to why oil could get past it though.

I had a problem with oil leaking past the exhaust sealing ring on a brand new 6766 air cooled BB, It was smoking heavily once it was running for a few minutes and the turbine housing/DP was hot enough. My startup oil pressure is 75-80# and WOT is about 70#. Even though the air cooled cartridge has a .035 restrictor built in it I added another .030 restrictor/filter from forced performance and the problem was still there. Many others have had luck with the additional restrictor in line with oil pressure in the same range.

Precision warranteed it and replaced the exhaust seal with a "Gapless" ring and I have had no problems so far with 1000+ miles on it. The other change I made was making a new oil drain back tube with a 45* brass fitting off the turbo and used 5/8" high heat hydraulic hose to the block. The downward angle is greater and there are no kinks to promote a faster flow of oil back into the block. The stock or aftermarket lines usually kink and flatten out before entering the block.

I can't say if the high oil pressure was a problem but I do know the BB cartridges require only a small volume of oil to function properly vs the hydro-dynamic journal bearing which requires a the exact opposite to work as designed. I think the oil drain angle/kinks are more of an issue on our cars with air cooled BB cartridges and high oil pressure compared to journal bearings. The oil backing up in the turbo center section will cause a smoking issue.

Datar