3% Charge for using Paypal

Small businesses and personal sellers are trying to keep their prices as low as possible. Thats why accepting cash gets the buyer a better price. The service fees racked up by credit card processing companies and buyer protection fees that cost approx 3% on online pay site are better off kept in the buyers pocket. Since that's who would be effected by increased prices. My solution to credit cards it to increase prices by 5-7%. This does not help the buyer. This covers the fees and occasional chargebacks and time wasted getting charge backs reversed. Almost every gas station around me has gasoline $.10 cheaper by paying cash. Would you run out of gas because the gas station is offering a discounted price for cash? As far as throwing down a credit card for a purchase most have no problem doing that. They also apparently don't mind paying 10-25%/year interest on those charges. Which to me is absolutely insane. More $ in the creditors pockets. Cash rules. The only thing better than it is physical asset like gold or silver bullion. I accept those as payment also.

X2 Someone has to pay the CC company. Like you said cash is king and people will cut better deals if you pay cash.

Cash is not king anymore. It makes no difference to a business owner who has monthly bills to pay. The money is going into the account to keep the ship floating whether it's cash or from a c.c. Most people use their cards cause they don't have money. That said, fee's are minor compared not making the sale at all.

IMO Seller should pick up the pp fee's. One thing I learned a long time ago, it takes money to make money.

RL

We recently started taking PayPal and we would never charge extra, no differernt than a credit card. More and more people ask for paypal these days, even home depot takes it now. FYI if you send a a gift the sender pays the fees, they will get them one way or the other
Mike

TurboBuRick said:
Cash is not king anymore. It makes no difference to a business owner who has monthly bills to pay. The money is going into the account to keep the ship floating whether it's cash or from a c.c. Most people use their cards cause they don't have money. That said, fee's are minor compared not making the sale at all.

IMO Seller should pick up the pp fee's. One thing I learned a long time ago, it takes money to make money.

RL

I disagree. I've made thousands over the last 15 years flipping used cars. Almost everyone of those was bought with you guessed it. CASH. If it wasn't cash it was exchanged for labor. Or a combination of the two. The sellers weren't accepting credit cards, waiting for potential buyers to get approved for loans or any other bs run around. They wanted to make a sale, and the only thing that was going to get it done was cash. And yes it take money to make money. It takes money and a little luck to make a lot of money. I would never penalize a cash paying customer. Especially if they are picking up the goods saving me time packing and shipping. For the record I don't mind paying the fees. It actually saved me $364 last month on a bad transaction where the seller didn't respond to emails or answer their phone when the product they sold was in stock in their listing but wasnt in stock in their inventory. Product not shipped. Claim filed and the money was back in my account in 2 weeks.

IMO, people are always in a hurry, and PP is quicker, and they want their purchase YESTERDAY!
I despised PP, but use it because there is nothing else as quick,
I add PP fee's when I sell, why should I lose $$ cause YOUR in a hurry?
I'm not! I can wait until snail mail delivers your check.
as far as you not buying something JUST because of PP?
who cares!
and Gary, your just an old grouch, (it takes one to know one, LOL)

It's a choice.......... If I sell anything, I put what "I" want from the sale. If "YOU" choose to pay me through Paypal, why should I make less then I wanted just because it's easier for you? I can wait for you to send me a MO. I hate using Paypal, but if the buyer chooses it for their protection, I won't lose a potential sale if that's the route they want to go. I prefer the ol fashion way of a certified MO, or if your local......Cash is KING.

To the original post, why as a buyer would you not want to pay paypal fees if that is the way you want to pay so you can have protection as a buyer. Before paypal buyers had no problem driving to the bank or post office paying a small amount for a money order and then mailing it out. Now people are offended if the seller does not want to pay for additional fees. A vendor selling at retail making 10 to 30% markup can absorb these fees if they want to make the deal. So instead of a retail item netting them lets say 25% it nets them 22%, that is a no brainer. However, the guy selling a 1000.00 used buick part for 500.00 that is not made anymore is expected to eat shipping fees, responsible for packaging it up, drving it to ups or fed ex, and then to top that off if the buyer wants to go through paypal now he has to eat that also? I have passed on many deals where people did not want to pay there shipping and or cover the paypal fee only to then to run into a guy who wants the part and understands what it takes to get a fair deal and does not mind paying his shipping or fees if he wants to use paypal. I have bought and sold used parts for close to 20 years and have payed through cash, trade, barter, labor, money order, and yes paypal. If it is a small amount really who cares? But on a set of heads and an intake at over 2000.00 now that 3% is something to think about at 60.00. Then a money order is the way to go! There are options other than paypal.

We also do not charge any additional paypal fee's to our customers and would never think about it, to me that's the part of running a business... When we get a large order in for complete suspensions or brake packages we ask the buyer to send a MO or a check and when it clears then the order is placed....

When small business's like us offer a special like Free Shipping on large orders we don't want to take an additional hit on the fee's too so that's the reason behind it for us...

I disagree. I've made thousands over the last 15 years flipping used cars. Almost everyone of those was bought with you guessed it. CASH. If it wasn't cash it was exchanged for labor. Or a combination of the two. The sellers weren't accepting credit cards, waiting for potential buyers to get approved for loans or any other bs run around. They wanted to make a sale, and the only thing that was going to get it done was cash. And yes it take money to make money. It takes money and a little luck to make a lot of money. I would never penalize a cash paying customer. Especially if they are picking up the goods saving me time packing and shipping. For the record I don't mind paying the fees. It actually saved me $364 last month on a bad transaction where the seller didn't respond to emails or answer their phone when the product they sold was in stock in their listing but wasnt in stock in their inventory. Product not shipped. Claim filed and the money was back in my account in 2 weeks.

You mean it takes money and a little brains. LOL!

Apples to apples I was talking more about parts and stuff not flipping used cars but I see your point.

RL