3% Charge for using Paypal

jpratt

Whenever I see someone selling a part for x amount and then say add 3% for pay-pal I always go to the next seller. I cannot stand when people add a fee for getting paid. When they go a movie or Wal-Mart or the gas station I bet they have no problem tossing that Visa MasterCard or AMEX on the counter to cover their bill. The store has to pay fees, I bet that if the store charge an up-charge for using a credit card then they would be pissed and go else where. I pay $8.00 every month here at my shop just to be able to accept AMEX, even if there is not a customer presenting that card. The credit card rates are huge but we do not up-charge people to use a card. On the rare occasion a customer asks about a cash discount when buying a large item I can give them a couple percent off, but never increase the price when they present the card.

Well to fix the fee is for people to pay as a gift......... No fees then. But you have to hope and trust the person is honest!!!! I will not take any payments via paypal unless gifted.... I am not going to charge someone a fee nor pay paypal... They suck!!

Small businesses and personal sellers are trying to keep their prices as low as possible. Thats why accepting cash gets the buyer a better price. The service fees racked up by credit card processing companies and buyer protection fees that cost approx 3% on online pay site are better off kept in the buyers pocket. Since that's who would be effected by increased prices. My solution to credit cards it to increase prices by 5-7%. This does not help the buyer. This covers the fees and occasional chargebacks and time wasted getting charge backs reversed. Almost every gas station around me has gasoline $.10 cheaper by paying cash. Would you run out of gas because the gas station is offering a discounted price for cash? As far as throwing down a credit card for a purchase most have no problem doing that. They also apparently don't mind paying 10-25%/year interest on those charges. Which to me is absolutely insane. More $ in the creditors pockets. Cash rules. The only thing better than it is physical asset like gold or silver bullion. I accept those as payment also.

I will not do any business with companies / businesses / people that charge the customer / consumer an extra charge for paying with a credit card. I also will not support Pay-Pal or any business that supports / uses Pay-Pal. Danco ran my card through Pay-Pal without my knowledge and mysteriously I had a charge from a Pay-pal scam phone # for $129.95. As a consequence I will neither support Danco nor Pay-Pal.
I run my CC somewhere between $300 to $8500 a month but I pay the bill religiously the day that I get it. In 14 years of having a B of A Mastercard, I have only been beat out of about $35 as they claimed that they did not get my check in time. They were going to charge me another $35 for something but decided not when I challenged the debt. I'm not cheap, but I'm damn tight. BTW, did I mention that Danco & Pay-Pal both suck. If not, you're hearing it now.

I will not do any business with companies / businesses / people that charge the customer / consumer an extra charge for paying with a credit card. I also will not support Pay-Pal or any business that supports / uses Pay-Pal. Danco ran my card through Pay-Pal without my knowledge and mysteriously I had a charge from a Pay-pal scam phone # for $129.95. As a consequence I will neither support Danco nor Pay-Pal.
I run my CC somewhere between $300 to $8500 a month but I pay the bill religiously the day that I get it. In 14 years of having a B of A Mastercard, I have only been beat out of about $35 as they claimed that they did not get my check in time. They were going to charge me another $35 for something but decided not when I challenged the debt. I'm not cheap, but I'm damn tight. BTW, did I mention that Danco & Pay-Pal both suck. If not, you're hearing it now.

AMEN Brother!!

I wont sell something to someone if they want to make me eat a fee just to pay me the most convenient way for them. The seller isnt protected by Paypal, the buyer is. If they want to use paypal, send it as a gift otherwise go to the post office and send me a postal money order.

I wont sell something to someone if they want to make me eat a fee just to pay me the most convenient way for them. The seller isnt protected by Paypal, the buyer is. If they want to use paypal, send it as a gift otherwise go to the post office and send me a postal money order.

That is what I said

Paypal gift or postal MO is the same as cash.

It is against Paypal policy to charge the buyer the fee.

If the seller does that and is reported they can possibly have their account suspended.

You couldn't pay me to use paypal. Damn near as crooked as the parent company.

Side note, who is danco?

It is against Paypal policy to charge the buyer the fee.

If the seller does that and is reported they can possibly have their account suspended.

Hmm.

What are the fees for PayPal accounts?

Opening an account:
PayPal doesn't charge a fee to open a PayPal account.

Sending money – Personal payments:

It's free within the U.S. to send money to family and friends when you use only your PayPal balance or bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

There is a fee to send money as a personal payment using a debit card or credit card. The fee in the U.S. is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you send. For example, if you send $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30). For personal payments, the sender can pay the fee or pass it on to the recipient. If the recipient doesn't want to pay the fee, they can choose not to accept the payment.

Receiving money – Personal payments:

It's free to receive money from friends or family in the U.S. when they send the money from the PayPal website using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

If you receive a personal payment made from a debit card or credit card, the sender has the option to pay the fee or pass it on to you. If you don't want to pay the fee, you can choose not to accept the payment.

If the fee is passed to you, it is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive. For example, if you are sent $100.00 USD by credit card, the fee would be $3.20 USD ($2.90 + $0.30).

This fee also applies if you click Request Money on the PayPal website and request money from friends and family. The fee applies if your friend or family member pays you using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account.

Goods and services – Purchase payments:
There’s no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services (such as from selling an item on eBay), the fee for each transaction is 2.9% plus $0.30 USD of the amount you receive.

International payments:

There is a fee when you send a payment to someone in another country or if you receive a payment from someone in another country. Please note that exchange rate fees also apply if there is a currency conversion. The Fees section of the PayPal User Agreement has specific information. You can find the User Agreement by clicking Legal Agreements at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Note: Unfortunately, we’ve had to stop allowing personal payments to be sent to and from India. If you’re sending money for a personal payment to India, we ask that you find another way to pay until we’re able to restore personal payments to this area.

Withdrawing money:

You can withdraw money from your PayPal account to your bank account at no cost. If you prefer to receive a check, there is a $1.50 fee.

I'll have to check it on my computer later, but last time I looked (which was recent) it was against the policy when making a PURCHASE.

This has been brought up here before. Paypal (in my opinion) is more convenient to the BUYER than the seller. If the buyer wishes to pay with paypal, they can pay the fee unless they trust the seller enough to gift it. This is especially true when a potential buyer makes a lesser offer than your asking price. Don't wish to pay for the service? Mail out a money order. I'd rather be paid by postal MO anyway. If this train of thought keeps a buyer from buying something from me, then I'd probably rather not deal with them in the first place. :) I'm not a gas station or other small business with overhead expenses figured into my pricing. I'm a guy with some parts in the garage. I'd like to be paid as if it were a cash deal in person.

Just my opinion of course

Oops, my bad, sorry, I should have defined my statement a little clearer, Danco is the fiberglass company.
I will never buy from them again, nor will ever buy any of their products again.

A lot of emotions in here.

I buy some stuff here and sometimes I don't mind paying a PP fee and sometimes it just doesn't sit well.

I guess it's all in the sellers "presentation".

I would rather folks just mark stuff up 7 to 10 or 15% and sell stuff inclusive of all fees and shipping charges instead of making me feel like I'm being nickled and dimed by someone who can't do simple math.........

I buy some stuuf here and sometimes I don't mind paying a PP fee and sometimes it just doesn't sit well.

I would rather folks just mark stuff up 7to 10 or 15% and seel stuff inclusive of fees and shipping instead of making me feel like I'm being nickled and dimed by someone who can't do simple math.........

Bingo.

I buy some stuff here and sometimes I don't mind paying a PP fee and sometimes it just doesn't sit well.

I would rather folks just mark stuff up 7 to 10 or 15% and sell stuff inclusive of all fees and shipping charges instead of making me feel like I'm being nickled and dimed by someone who can't do simple math.........

x2...I just dealt with this buying a piece of furniture. They neglected to tell me they only accept cash or check until I went back to pay after my order had arrived. They then lectured me about how expensive it is to run plastic. I told them I'd rather pay more than burn the extra gas that I needed to burn to go get them cash. Bottom line, either include the fees in your price or clearly state your preferred method of payment. If people aren't jerked around, they'll be satisfied.

Yup...I am right. If you are selling YOU are responsable for the fees by the user agreement YOU agree to when signing up for paypal. The section that is in bold red in the above post is for sending PERSONAL money only...as in if your Dad is sending you money. Not for selling goods or services.

I think if you are selling an item you are responsible to sell the item. I'm paying you for the item, not for the service the seller decides to use. If you don't want to take the hit, then just raise your price 3%.

That being said, I have paid the fees in the past due to the way the seller presented it and the price I was getting the items for anyways.

Snip from the Paypal website.

8.1 Fees Overview.
Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.
  1. For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee

The fees really stack up whether it's paypal or credit cards. The REWARDS credit cards are the worst.