2014 THS Rules discussion

You just have to catch me on the right day lol. There is a badass crownline bow rider I got my eye on.

If you can find one then show us. For the most part they don’t really exist. I said earlier that I would not support or oppose the allowance of the 400. I did not say I would not post an opinion...

Thanks for the info. I rode in a manual vb 200 and I thought it was common, my bad. I'll step out too. I'd like to race THS, and my car is slow so no disturbing the force there. This is why I chimed in, but I'm with Shane, I'll stick to TAI. My new combo won't make THS rules; I did finally read through ALL of the rules.

I've been following this thread for a while. I don't see friction. i see 1 or two people lobbying, albeit some more exuberantly than others, to make the rules fit their cars so they don't have to change stuff. that's understandable. I hated hanging all the A/C stuff back on my car a few months after getting my cool billet A/C delete bracket,and all that stuff looking the way I wanted it. I know doing a whole new tranny is a lot bigger deal,but still, its comparable. But, I wanted to FINALLY be able to get in a Buick class where i wouldn't know going in that i was going to get my ass handed to me in the first round. And bracket racing sucks, so I did it. if the 400 gets the thumbs up, I seriously doubt there will be a surplus of built 200's floating around. With a few exceptions, there aren't many THS cars that don't see regular street use. Take away any advantage the 400 may, or may not have over a 200 . Its still one less gear.Which in my opinion , no matter how negligible to some. Makes it a little less street-able. Therefore ,i think falls outside the spirit of the rules. That's what this class was dreamed up for in the first place. Bad ass fast street cars that went race car enough to go TSM racing.

I was just throwing that out there. What do all the 9 second cars have in common? Fancy boost controllers. I can't say much because the efi system I have has one of the best ones built into it.

Anyways, my stance on the rules:

Distributor- allow if cop is allowed. Only makes sense to me.

Any gm trans - no benefit in any trans. You can get gear sets for any trans. Why limit the trans if there is no advantage between any of them?

Fiberglass hood - only question I have is does this let some one race? Might as well let them in because other expensive weight savings race parts are already allowed such as tubular front suspension and fiberglass bumpers. Add them all up and you got over 200 lbs you can take off the car.

Weight - 3600 lbs across the board. I think this is what is really keeping the class in the slower range... Which is good. I'm even for a higher weight.

Dot tire - I was for this since day 1.
I think those are the only ones discussed.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Kevin

My car don't have a fancy boost controller and it's a 9 second true street car on DOT radials 255/60/15's , My boost controller is a one of Bob Bailey's BSTC units and solonoid ( ( i had 2 gm units till one of them failed) The wastegate is internal. with a stock can/spring thats adjustable.

There is another car (sydwyndr) he has the exact same set-up and he has been 9's too.

So not all 9 second cars have fancy boost controllers that cost mega bucks !

I also have a TR-6 ignition system with the ls coils...I was able to race with them in in BG when i was beta testing them.

I agree that a dist is not advantage anymore.........So i think as along as the stock a/c bracket can be used let them in.

Now i don't really care if a 400 trans is used as long as it's a AUTOMATIC..............

I had quit running in THS the yr tubular control arms were outlawed..........

Last edited:
If you can find one then show us. For the most part they don’t really exist. I said earlier that I would not support or oppose the allowance of the 400. I did not say I would not post an opinion.
Its not about what’s fair. Its about what a individual wants for their best interest. You say you want a TH400 You can have it. Not good enough. You want a reverse manual with a transbrake. If we said you can have reverse manual but can only use GER valvebody. Still wont be good enough, until we give the individual exactly what the individual already has.
Its said the 400 is no advantage. Lets just forget about strength, Gear ratio advantage and a huge aftermarket of parts. Transmission lesson 101. The 200 is governor shifted. Its has shift valves that need to be stroked, governor pressure to shift, TV cable pressure rise the list goes on. The 400 Reverse manual requires only the engine running and the shifter to be pushed. No moving parts required to make a shift. If someone does not see this as a direct advantage they need to put down the crack pipe. Now the automatic 400 on the other hand now requires all the items a 200 does to make a shift. Now we have fair. Now we have the 400 owner that has all the risk a 200 owner has. You don’t want to spend money on a 200 and want fair. Auto shift 400 is fair. Money needed is only a stock valvebody and plate and governor. Can be bought for about $50 and transmission can stay in the car. Now we have fair.
You have a class that has 16-20 competitors maybe more over the years. What’s fair to Doc, D-Day, Snyder, Sean, Collin and the others that I have not mentioned that have built the rules to the class and bought parts they need to get there.. Snyder took out a 400 to run, The Doc wanted a 400 but went 200 to run. The list goes on. Where do you draw a line? The object is to have a race class to allow wiggle room for different combos but keep the cars close to what they were and what the majority drives. I am not even going to get into the street car debate. Kevin taught me a lesson on this a couple years ago. What is street to one is not to another. Its all about what you will tolerate. Drag week proves this. I COULD REALLY CARE LESS what is decided about the transmission rule. I know what I enjoy about my car and what I will tolerate and a 3 speed is not a fit for me. It’s only the Fact that Kevin has raced and supported this class and the only reason I would not be screaming bloody murder over the transmission rule. Now that is my opinion directed at not one particular person so please don’t anyone take it that way. I am done on the subject lets go racing.

Lonnie

If the 400 is allowed but has to be auto shifted in a normal pattern. how could this be teched for verification.

Lonnie

If the 400 is allowed but has to be auto shifted in a normal pattern. how could this be teched for verification.

Not sure you could by inspection. Test drive i would say.

My replies:

I ran 9.6's with a spring on the wastegate puck. Beat that lol.

I guess all those millions of cars built with 3 spd transmissions weren't real street cars lol. Hooray for my grandparents who drove a station wagon race car from Cincinnati to Arizona every year filled with kids in the 60's that had a th400.

I got rid of a tsm car to race ths years ago. The tsm car would have been too hard to convert. So I know a little thing about making a car legal for a class.

The automatic shifted th400 makes zero sense. I may not know transmissions inside and out, but I do know that my 200 that I manually shifted showed zero hesitation between shifts. Got hundreds of data logs to prove it.

And before anyone thinks that a 400 is the only thing I need to change, this is a current pic of my engine bay. What's not shown are the lower a arms I just bought that require coil over shocks and the normal shocks I sold to buy them. Plus I don't even have an engine yet. I got about $2k budgeted for that. All I got so far are some stock heads with about 15 minutes of porting done to them and a worn out roller cam that I have no idea of the specs. Plus I got one of those fancy Chinese knockoff turbos. Still need exhaust, shit that comes out of that 2 large I have.
Yes, those are ls motor mounts I need to cut out.

Attachments

• 1388633367249.jpg
    1388633367249.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 110
My replies:

I ran 9.6's with a spring on the wastegate puck. Beat that lol.

I guess all those millions of cars built with 3 spd transmissions weren't real street cars lol. Hooray for my grandparents who drove a station wagon race car from Cincinnati to Arizona every year filled with kids in the 60's that had a th400.

I got rid of a tsm car to race ths years ago. The tsm car would have been too hard to convert. So I know a little thing about making a car legal for a class.

The automatic shifted th400 makes zero sense. I may not know transmissions inside and out, but I do know that my 200 that I manually shifted showed zero hesitation between shifts. Got hundreds of data logs to prove it.

I'm not tring to one up anyone here. You mentioned that all 9 second cars have fancy boost controllers. I just pointed out that there was 2 out there that didn't fancy ones lol.

I think a fancy one is like a ams 500/1000 greddy etc........Closed loop units/correction factors.

BTW i had 2 carb return springs on it lol i like to lower the boost to 15 psi when i'm not racing. i really need a high boost unit .. but i don't like running 20-21 psi all the time .

Hey did your parents shift that station wagon every single time.....and i don't mean from park to drive........i mean 1.........2...........3..................................................................

I'm not tring to one up anyone here. You mentioned that all 9 second cars have fancy boost controllers. I just pointed out that there was 2 out there that didn't fancy ones lol.

I think a fancy one is like a ams 500/1000 greddy etc........Closed loop units/correction factors.

BTW i had 2 carb return springs on it lol i like to lower the boost to 15 psi when i'm not racing. i really need a high boost unit .. but i don't like running 20-21 psi all the time .

Hey did your parents shift that station wagon every single time.....and i don't mean from park to drive........i mean 1.........2...........3..................................................................
My gramps was a hot rodder, so I'm sure he did.

I was referring to ths cars at the races. I didn't have one when I ran 9.9's at bg.

My Buick was the first car I had with OD I always had a 3 speed. It never stopped me from going anywhere. But did limp home from both at the track. O the good o days. I have a good 200 but if it goes 350 or 400 is coming. 1200$ vs 3000$

Last edited:
If you want to talk "not Street car parts," better mention what is currently allowed:
Slicks
Fiberglass bumpers
Co2
Light weight wheels not meant for street use
Fuel cells
Etc..

If you want to talk "not Street car parts," better mention what is currently allowed:
Slicks
Fiberglass bumpers
Co2
Light weight wheels not meant for street use
Fuel cells
Etc..

Don't forget roll bars and or cages as that's prob biggest offender of a would be street car

Im out. Its getting stupid. I will see what was decided when rules post.

My 2 C worth. Leave the class along it's growing by the rules you have now. It's not fair to the racers that have built there cars for this class and support it. If someone wants to run THS let them build there cars like the rules we have now. Thanks and I wish everyone a blessed 2014.