2012 Camaro ZL1 VS 2013 Ford Shelby GT500

yup.. they are both amazing machines, but the Camaro is just better.. cheaper, too..
just think how much more awesome it would be if you could order a stripped down version of it with no luxury items like AC, carpet, or a radio that weighs about 800 pounds less- like, say, the COPO but set up for a road course instead of a drag strip..

i wish they would have done 5 laps with each car at the track and then see how much better the Camaro is in a more race-like situation, but i suppose they don't want to make the comparison too lopsided...

summary.jpg

Yup, looks like the GT 500 just puts the ZLslo on the trailer, but the fan magazines with all that GM ADVERTISING seems to FORGET about real numbers they got, and picked the slo! ..... and what makes you say the Camaro is cheaper? Both have identical base sticker prices!

Funny how those magazines can ignore their own numbers and just pick what they like.... I don't care what anybody says, after looking at both, if I had to choose it would be the Ford for sure. Build quality, especially the interior is far supperior !!!! Want to do a neat test? Roll down the window in your Turbo regal, now close the door, and watch and listen to top of the inner door panel rattle back and forth as the door slams shut. Now go do the same thing to ANY brand new Camaro.....You see the inner door panel does exactly the same thing :eek: rattles and flaps just like a 25 year old Buick. I couldn't believe it.

summary.jpg

Yup, looks like the GT 500 just puts the ZLslo on the trailer, but the fan magazines with all that GM ADVERTISING seems to FORGET about real numbers they got, and picked the slo! ..... and what makes you say the Camaro is cheaper? Both have identical base sticker prices!

i was going by the link in the OP.. the Camaro is cheaper "as tested" and didn't fall off like the Mustang did with repeated tests.. also, look at the very last thing at the bottom of the pic you put up...

Wait a second.... The Ford is faster on the strip and faster on Laguna Seca... so it loses?

Hmmm.... GAY!

(PS The Mustang looks much better too!)

i was going by the link in the OP.. the Camaro is cheaper "as tested" and didn't fall off like the Mustang did with repeated tests.. also, look at the very last thing at the bottom of the pic you put up...
Someone made that last line a little more "friendly". The original looks like this:

8323d1340805455-summary-summary.jpg

Barron, your vote here will not be counted since it could be biased based on previous posts and signature observations...:D

Wait a second.... The Ford is faster on the strip and faster on Laguna Seca... so it loses?

Hmmm.... GAY!

(PS The Mustang looks much better too!)

the Shelby drops off after the first lap because the brakes get hot where the ZL1 just stays as awesome as ever..

They are both faster than what most of us drive. They are both faster than most who own them can handle. Comparing numbers of what other people do with the cars is pointless. Just because it runs low 12's, mid 11's, whatever, doesn't mean it'll do it with you behind the wheel. The consumer will vote with their dollars, which is all that really matters, so let's just be happy that we have so many wonderful choices these days for that extra $60 large we all have laying around. We'll talk about these days 20 years from now and say, "remember when that 200mph Mustang came out" or "Remember when they actually developed a Camaro on the 'ring." While we are all federally mandated to drive whatever generic, eco-, safety-mobile that probably won't even let you actually drive yourself. The moral is, just enjoy your good, old-fashioned, drive WITH a cable and not a wire, Turbo Buick.

The Camaro ZL-1 took square aim at the 2012 Shelby GT500 with its 550 hp 5.4 and nailed it. Little did they know that the 2013 GT500 was lurking around the corner.

Can the ZL-1 counter with the Corvette-based 638 hp version to level the playing field a little? Chevy would never allow that to happen.

I'm hearing alot of issues regarding a stubborn 1-2 shift on the new Shelbys.

They are both awesome cars any way you slice it.

So the next ZR-1 will step up in power and so can the ZL-1. All of them are over powered for the tires they come with and overpriced for the people that would actually buy them...well for me they are LOL.

Amazing you can walk in a Caddy, Chevy or Ford Dealership and buy a car with 550 to 650 horsepower with a warranty.

Pete

Well guys, it's been at the SVT board and the Camaro 5 board. They've covered it from calling names to the 2 racers actually being friendly towards each other and working out the ZL1's problems....if you care to see, hear and watch some video's of the whole incident I'd start here at the Ford site

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-vs-torq-zl1-track-homestead-6-30-2012-a.html

and then go to the Camaro site to get the REAL stories, not just by what a few magazine writers OPINIONS are!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234430

other threads are at both sites dealing with it, some in mature ways, some like the BS I've been reading here.... if you're interested spend an hour and find out, or if you want the cliff notes, the Mustang had ONE instance of brake fade, racer changed it to Brembo 600 brake fluid and absolutely no problems. ZL1 had pulleys added to supercharger to produce what that racer called a substantial amount of boost increase, had installed a twin fan AFCO heat exchanger and the motor continued to heat soak with an extra gallon of fluid and the best heat exchanger he could buy. The rest is personal choice, you decide!

Barron, your vote here will not be counted since it could be biased based on previous posts and signature observations...:D
:D

Yea, I maaaay be a bit biased. The Shelby was a lot of fun. But it's gone now to a new home in the Kansas City area.

While I have yet to drive a ZL1, I do currently have a 2010 Camaro SS. It is a lot of fun, handles pretty well and looks damn nice. But the blind spots are horrible. I also have a 2010 Charger SRT8. It's quicker than the Camaro and handles just as well, but with more room.

I do hope I can run across a decent deal on a used ZL1. I will jump on it in a heartbeat.

On the subject of power of both the ZL1 and the GT500, while I can't give personal experience in a 13 GT500, I can say the 11-12 models are insane. If the ZL1 is making that level of power (and from all indications, it seems to be), it is a fast ass car. You'll see a lot of them wrecked I'm sure. They can get out of hand quickly.

Also, I would LOVE to get my hands on a '13 Shelby and feel the difference in the increased power. The 11-12 cars were jaw droppers in the brutal power department. I know the 13 is absolutely nuts. One day.... Ohhh, one day I hope to have one. :D

Saturday at the track I saw an auto SS Camaro run 10.2 @130+. It was supercharged. Wish I had a chance to see the engine and talk to him but didn't get over to it. Tasca Ford has it's Mustang there for T&T. It was fast, should be anyway though.

Pronto I was there sat with my family. Did you see the black ZL1 run? I saw it run three times best was a 12.68@114, worst 16.6@102. I was not impressed, the white supercharged camaro was impressive. Would have like to see the turbo buicks get lined up with other cars aside from each other.

I did see it run. It looked like the driver wasn't the best at shifting. Seems to be an issue with both the Ford and Chevy. People can afford them but not drive them...