2011 F150 EcoBoost

dodge diesel

Has anybody here heard of this truck or own one. Its a 3.5 dual overhead cam V6 dual turbo charge truck. With an auto 6 speed HD automatic. Capable of towing 10,300 pounds. HP is 365 and Toq is 420 @ 2500 RPM.

Ford also has this engine in a taurus with the dual turbo 6 speed tranny AWD.

Ford never had any luck with new engines for starters. They always wind up changing it over the years to hide the flaws from working in the real world and not on their controlled test tracks. I'd rather have the balls of a V8 GM under my foot that gets the same fuel economy as the Ecoboost no less!! If your going to tow with it your most likely going to have to run premium fuel and your going to be under boost all the time working the crap and heat soaking that little 6cyl to death. So I don't see any savings here. People think 6cyl and they think they are going to save 20 bucks every fill up and it's just not true with this truck. We all know what happens with our cars under boost and heat soaking them!! Here are some real numbers.

stats.jpg

I looked at a few of them at my local dealer. Not impressed with that fuel mileage for their truck that is going to change the future. ONE MPG better then the GM v8. Really? That's sad. Plus the sticker on the ones I was looking at was over 43K. But then again I owned 2 new and 2 used Ford trucks over the years and all 4 were a pile of $hit! :)

What Ty said. ^^^ If you can figure out how to search on this new board, there was a lengthy thread in the lounge back in Aug sometime with a lot of info...

The Ford has awesome power and an awesome, flat, broad, torque curve. Obviously its also more complicated and won't be cheap to fix out of warranty. If Ford can keep the spark plugs from either blowing out of the heads or snapping off in the heads they might have a good engine.

I think time will tell with Ford and their Eco Boost Engines!! I like the IDEA of the Eco Boost.. But Im not going to be racing people with a 5k plus load up a increasing grade of highway. But itll be nice to know I can... How about stopping that load going the other way?? As Black3 said, Maint. can and most likely be an issue..

Im a chevy guy, but there is still no comparison in payload and towing capacity. I did hear that some awesome deals can be had on the Chevys lately.

too complex- DOHC setups have too many parts to fail, and they aren't cheap when they do. then you throw a turbo on top of that..
GM has the right idea- 2 valves per cylinder with a single cam in the block opening them with pushrods and rocker arms.

i know everyone is saying how awesome they are now, but i wonder what their opinions will be 5 years and 100,000 miles from now..

I don't know how they will last,but i just sold my 2010 GMC crew cab Z71 5.3,that wouldn't pull a greased string out of a cats ass.It wouldn't tow for **** without straining its guts out.I went and drove a Ecoboost,and i was impressed.You could tell it had much more power than the GM,and was very smooth. I have no brand preference so it is my un biased opinion.I am not ready to pull the trigger on one because of the longevity questions,and i know of fords steamer diesel motors from the past...I cant rule out a good used Duramax/Allison combo!

I don't know how they will last,but i just sold my 2010 GMC crew cab Z71 5.3,that wouldn't pull a greased string out of a cats ass.It wouldn't tow for **** without straining its guts out.I went and drove a Ecoboost,and i was impressed.You could tell it had much more power than the GM,and was very smooth. I have no brand preference so it is my un biased opinion.I am not ready to pull the trigger on one because of the longevity questions,and i know of fords steamer diesel motors from the past...I cant rule out a good used Duramax/Allison combo!

I just bought a 2010 GMC Sierra crew cab 5.3 with the HD towing package. I've pulled my Buick with a steel open trailer just fine behind my wife's 2009 5.3L Suburban as well even with the 3.08 rearend it tows easily. How much are you towing? I can't see a lil ecoboost handling more than the 5.3 or even the 6.2 LS engine. Get the 6.6L turbo diesel if you're serious about towing, but those are still expensive used.

The pulling power of an eco boost vs the 5.3
should be like night + day look at the specs.

2010 silverado 5.3
:315 hp @ 5200
:335 tq @ 4000 rpm

2011 ecoboost f-150
:365 hp @ 5000
:420 tq @ 2500

That 420 ft lb at only 2500 is what makes all the difference in the world,the 5.3 is probably making about 200 ft lb less at 2500 rpm,thats a HUGE difference,+ then the eco boost also goes on to make an extra 50 hp over the 5.3 using 200 less rpm.
world of difference between those 2 motors.
I'm not saying that to put down the chevy,my truck + basically everyday driver is a 98 silverado 5.7 but i don't think it's going to be even close the pulling power of the eco-boost either.
And as we all know that twin turbo 6 must have alot of potential just sitting there, waiting to be turned up.

Even fords 5.0 in the trucks blows away the 5.3, with 360 hp + 380 ft lb tq. + still can't compare with the eco-boost.

My dad just got one a few days ago and is in love with it! I haven't had a chance to go road test it myself yet though.;)

He really had to shop around and ended up going to a smaller dealer to even get it in 2wd without all the nonsense packages they like to throw on em to drive cost and profit up. If I recall correctly, he said he got out the door in his second favorite color 4dr for under 30K. AND they gave him what he wanted on his Jag in trade, which is always a consideration with the damn Ford dealers.

Don't know how it will prove out over time, but I am sure of one thing, it'll likely be me who finds out 10yrs from now!;)
As far as I figure, Ford knows their bread is buttered with that truck. They give it nothing that won't satisfy. I've had dozen's of their older trucks and literally beaten them to death. For what I expected of them, they've always provided a good platform that outlasted GM or Dodge trucks given similar circumstances. They sold me on their product long before I ever cared about brand loyalty.

FWIW at this time I have a variety of them for different uses.

1976 F-250 SuperCab 2wd 390 granny 4spd, and a spare one, currently w/302 auto (FS!)
1987 F-150 XLT 4x4, 5.0, 3sp OD
1989 F-350 Lariat CrewCab dually 2wd, 460 auto
1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8L auto and auto hubs

Every one of them has over 150K on the clock, and half are over 200K! now!!! And the only one not pulling it's weight around here is the spare 76!:D

I bought one two months ago and so far it has been one of the best new vehicles I've purchased in a awhile
SU1BRzA0MDMuanBn.jpg

It pulls my 9k# enclosed with a Buick without any issues. With a wt distribution hitch I dont think the ass squatted more than an inch. Plenty of power, suspension is a little soft but doable and I did have a dually prior to this so anything else is going to feel soft towing compared to that. I bought airbags for it but dont really need them and haven't even install them yet.
SU1BRzA0NDcuanBn.jpg

Hwy gas mileage is 22.8 around town average is 16.5 to 17.0 according to the beater meter. Better than my Duramax

Hey Dodge diesel are you by chance turbobuick on the F150ecoboost site, lol?

I've heard nothing but positive reviews from people who own or have driven a new F150 with the Ecoboost engine.

I just bought a 2010 GMC Sierra crew cab 5.3 with the HD towing package. I've pulled my Buick with a steel open trailer just fine behind my wife's 2009 5.3L Suburban as well even with the 3.08 rearend it tows easily. How much are you towing? I can't see a lil ecoboost handling more than the 5.3 or even the 6.2 LS engine. Get the 6.6L turbo diesel if you're serious about towing, but those are still expensive used.

I pulled both my mustangs,and buick on a full 18 ft steel car trailer and it done fine as long as you towed pretty much on level ground,hit a bit of a grade and it really struggled big time. It was a nice truck other than that,however..Maybe something wasn't right with mine,but never a code thrown or anything....Just going by seat of the pants feel the little ecoboost would hand the 5.3 its ass.